nice to see cassette manufacturing is hanging on

Discuss everything related to production, recording, composition, etc.

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

boxxgrooved
Veteran Wiggler

nice to see cassette manufacturing is hanging on

Post by boxxgrooved » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:50 pm

Inspiring look into the last company still producing cassette tapes, and business has recently started to take off :party:

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:51 am

Damn straight.

I buy their tape by the caseload. Not a single bad cassette. Records as nice as the high end TDK's I used to always use.

Will be time to reorder in a month or so.
FS: A-140-2 Dual VC ADSR, Erica VCA 2, SP-555 Sampler and more - CHEAP!!!
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=227738
WTT: my Mangler for your Rumour

Nofrenchtests
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Nofrenchtests » Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:25 am

This is awesome.
I just looked at their prices too, seems pretty reasonable.

Phil999
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Phil999 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:28 pm

any tips for dealers in Europe?

arnoux
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by arnoux » Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:58 am

Phil999 wrote:any tips for dealers in Europe?
tapeline.co.uk

Phil999
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Phil999 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:57 am

thanks.

Morley
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Morley » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:43 pm

Can you buy NAC tapes in Europe though??

strange tales
Common Wiggler

Post by strange tales » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:01 pm

Released something last year and used NAC. Was my first solo release and they were seriously helpful and on time and everything.

I was seriously surprised about how on time they were with National Cassette Day or whatever being around the corner.

solaris
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Location: ̋͋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̏̏ ̏ ˳̊̊̊̊̊ ˳̥̥̥̥̥̊̊̊̊̊̊̊˳̥˯Ξ̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿▂ ̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋

Post by solaris » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:32 am

arnoux wrote:
tapeline.co.uk
Last year (or 2 y/ago?) I struggled to place an order (blanks + duplication of ~100 tapes),
to no avail.
I had the impression they did not care.
They wrote back the 1st time then nothing, nobody ever replied to any of the messages I sent them.
▂̵̶̵̥̤̳̤̇̈̄̅̈□ □ □ □ □ □ □ □ □ t r a n s f e k t i o n ▔▔▔▔╲▂▂▁▂▂̵̶̵̥̤̳̤̇̈̄̅̈▂▁▁
▂̵̶̵̥̤̳̤̇̈̄̅̈□ □ ▂̵̶̵̥̤̳̤̇̈̄̅̈▂̵̶̵̥̤̳̤̇̈̄̅̈▂̵̶̵̥̤̳̤̇̈̄̅̈□ ▂̵̶̵̥̤̳̤̇̈̄̅̈▔╲▂̥̥̊̊̊̊▂ ‬::.:::.h++p://z.x-xx---x.info □ □ □ □ □ □ □ □ □‬

arnoux
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by arnoux » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:12 am

solaris wrote:
arnoux wrote:
tapeline.co.uk
Last year (or 2 y/ago?) I struggled to place an order (blanks + duplication of ~100 tapes),
to no avail.
They wrote back the 1st time then nothing, nobody ever replied to any of the messages I sent them.
Sorry to hear about that.. Maybe they may be clumsy in comunication (and design :party:) but I've ordered from them 7/8 times until now and things somehow worked out.. Have to say we duplicate tapes at our HQ, not by them, so we order just blank tapes..

I'd like to hear some alternatives for us EU publishers..

solaris
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Location: ̋͋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̏̏ ̏ ˳̊̊̊̊̊ ˳̥̥̥̥̥̊̊̊̊̊̊̊˳̥˯Ξ̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿▂ ̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋

Post by solaris » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:56 am

@arnoux:
ah voilà, maybe they have a problem(?) with duplicating? dunno, but it's listed as one of their services...
it's a shame because the listed prices are good.
in the end, after much searching, I found a factory in Switzerland (same country as me) but they are expensive.
on the other hand, it's the only place I found in "Europe" duplicating chrome tapes, all the others are duplicating type-I only (except tapeline, who never replied).

15 years ago there was KPK(?) in Switzerland doing realtively cheap duplication (chrome as well) but they closed long ago.

do you have a proper duplication machine or do you do them one by one with an hi-fi machine?
▂̵̶̵̥̤̳̤̇̈̄̅̈□ □ □ □ □ □ □ □ □ t r a n s f e k t i o n ▔▔▔▔╲▂▂▁▂▂̵̶̵̥̤̳̤̇̈̄̅̈▂▁▁
▂̵̶̵̥̤̳̤̇̈̄̅̈□ □ ▂̵̶̵̥̤̳̤̇̈̄̅̈▂̵̶̵̥̤̳̤̇̈̄̅̈▂̵̶̵̥̤̳̤̇̈̄̅̈□ ▂̵̶̵̥̤̳̤̇̈̄̅̈▔╲▂̥̥̊̊̊̊▂ ‬::.:::.h++p://z.x-xx---x.info □ □ □ □ □ □ □ □ □‬

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:43 pm

Morley wrote:Can you buy NAC tapes in Europe though??

David - I doubt it. I imagine they would ship to you. Or if not I would be willing to forward it to you.

NAC - they will send you a sample tape to try out if you like too. They are very helpful, thorough and friendly.

I sampled both the Studio Master 799 60 min. and the Audio Pro 60 min. I bought a stash of both but primarily just use the Audio Pro. I use a lot of tape and these sound fine. If I want to mix down to stereo then I will use the Studio Master for that. The Studio Master is a fair bit more than the Audio Pro.

I was just about to order some more TDK SM60 last year when I discovered that they were no longer made. I panicked and bought all of the Sony and TDK I could find, but the only chrome I could even find was 90min. so I also bought a bunch of standard 60 min. The next day I found NAC so I have a bunch of standard tape unused.

Very glad for NAC. Awesome that a Wiggler had a release that they processed!!!!!
FS: A-140-2 Dual VC ADSR, Erica VCA 2, SP-555 Sampler and more - CHEAP!!!
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=227738
WTT: my Mangler for your Rumour

sparood
Wiggling with Experience

Post by sparood » Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:33 pm

There are several, Tapeline is the best known but for mainland Europe may not be the cheapest or (supposedly) most reliable.

I was interested in this to for my next release so I contacted some dealers, still need to get the tapes in so I can't say anything about quality or packaging of the shipment, but I can give my opinion regarding pricing and communication by different dealers if anyone is interested.

EDIT: Okay will make a more in-depth post tomorrow.

Phil999
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Phil999 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:39 pm

thank you all very much for the information. Good to know.

I'm not into tape releases actually, I'm not wearing a beard. I'm rather into 8-track production with cassettes, using a Tascam 238. I only have a few 46-min chromium tapes left, and looking for supply.

Thanks again.

sparood
Wiggling with Experience

Post by sparood » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:17 pm

Okay, so there are several dealers and duplicators for Europe as said. I guess you only need to know dealers at the moment, but will include them both and make a reference post of it for the future.

The most know duplicators in EU are Tapeline and Fairview Duplication, both are located in the UK. From what I've seen communication with Tapeline is not great and results can vary, but they have the biggest stock in strange colored cases and have a nice collection of shells. For duplication, Fairview Duplication is a bit more expensive than Tapeline, but seems to be more reliable.

In my own experience, I mailed both companies twice, but got zero response. This and the fact shipping to mainland EU is pretty hefty made me skip those companies.

Other UK duplicators include Mobinenko and Bandcds. Mobinenko should be reliable as they are a well repected vinyl and CD pressing plant. I think they only offer duplication, and not blank media. Bandcds seem to dub with Nakamichi and Tascam cassette decks and not with Otari tape machines as is usualy the case, but other than that looks good and have many options available. Did not contact them as I did not know they offered duplication at the time.

For mainland EU, there are other options to skip the high shipping costs fom the UK.

In the Netherlands, there is Duplicase. They only offer both dupplication and blank media, but I don't know how many options they have for colored shells, but my guess is they will have a limited range. Seems to be a bit strict on licensing for duplication purposes. Haven't contacted them yet.

In Germany there is Audio Service. Decent offering in shells and options, offer both duplication and blank media. Contact with them is good. Ordered blank tapes and got them in today, which means it took +- 3 weeks to arrive, but it can take up to 5 weeks depending on how much work they got. Can recommend them, good packaging, zero broken tapes or shells and custom length is good. Also their pricing is pretty good.

In Italy there is Vinilificio. They offer both duplication and blank media and seem to have a decent offering in options. Contact with them is good. Minimum quantity for blank cassette's is 100 pieces.

In Czech Republic there is Headless Duplicated Tapes. They have a great deal of choices and seem to be very good, also they have a very clear website. Offers both duplication and blank tapes. Contact with them is good and payment can be done with SEPA in Euro's. Minimum quantity for blank cassette's is 70+ pieces.

And in Estonia there is Vinylplant. Haven't contacted them, but seem to be good, a bit like Mobinenko. They seem to offer duplication and blank tapes.

Maybe there are more ??? But I don't know.

edit: Looks like Tapeline responded after all after 2+ months :doh: way to late folk, step up your game.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

tl;dr

Tape duplication & dealers EU:

UK
Tapeline: https://tapeline.info/v2/
Fairview Duplication: http://www.fairviewduplication.co.uk/
Mobinenko: http://www.mobineko.com/ (cd duplication is done in Taiwan, but I think cassette duplication is done in UK ?)
Bandcds: https://www.bandcds.co.uk/

Netherlands
Duplicase: http://www.duplicase.nl/

Germany
Audio Service: http://www.shop-016.de/shop-audioservice.htm

Italy
Vinilificio: http://www.vinilificio.com/?lang=en

Czech
Headless Duplicated tapes : http://headlessduplicatedtapes.cz/

Estonia
Vinylplant: http://www.vinylplant.ee
Last edited by sparood on Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

arnoux
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by arnoux » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:11 am

sparood nice one! :sb:

solaris sorry for the late reply, we bought a Nakamichi ZX-9, I love it!
And love the process of one by one duplication.. It connects me more with the releases of my mates..
Anyway we duplicate very limited runs, usually well below 100, here's a quick making of:

[video][/video]

Pase
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Pase » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:42 am

Great info sparood!
I'd like to start record my own cassettes but I've got no equipment atm.
What do I need other than cassettes, a 4 track recorder and a tape deck in order to produce my tape from start to finish?

sparood
Wiggling with Experience

Post by sparood » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:47 pm

Know is that tapes between the tape deck and 4 track aren't interchangeable, but I guess you already know this so..first thing to do would be cleaning and possible demagnetizing the tape deck before recording, most decks are old and there is a slim change the previous owner did cleaning of the deck recently.

Second tape deck would nice to have to check for audio levels and the transport of the actual tape inside the machine.

For the go-to tape decks I could ramble on for quite some time, but best is to do some research on forehand, else I feel like I'm getting to dominant in this topic :deadbanana:

Pase
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Pase » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:37 am

Don't worry to be dominant or what else, great infos you're sharing in this thread :tu:
I'm interested in reading your advices :)
Thanks

sparood
Wiggling with Experience

Post by sparood » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:47 pm

For multi-track devices I have no advice, but also take a look at real-to-real units if you have the space for it. The sound quality should be a lot better as there is more space on the tape per track, and you can always use a cassette deck for the final mix / master tape.

For cassette decks there are a lot of options, but what I'd look for is either a 3-head deck like a nice Nakamichi, JVC, TEAC, Sony (although they tend to be a lot more expensive, at least over here) or get a 2-head with Dolby HX Pro. Well, I guess there are a lot of other awesome 2-head units, but Dolby HX Pro is awesome. It's a bit like an automated Bias adjustment.

Anyway, my 2 cents. I might be total wrong though.

arnoux
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by arnoux » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:31 am

Pase wrote:Great info sparood!
I'd like to start record my own cassettes but I've got no equipment atm.
What do I need other than cassettes, a 4 track recorder and a tape deck in order to produce my tape from start to finish?
What do you want to do? Release small runs of your music? Or just recording your own music on cassette and then digitalize it for streaming?

This is my usual process:

I have a Tascam 246 for recording my performances and eventually add some overdubs, then I digitalize to "master" (or edit a bit or add something more) and create a playlist in the DAW, from the DAW I send the music into a Nakamichi zx-9 and I copy my tapes one at the time.

I also recorded stuff going directly into the Nakamichi and then digitalized from there and then back to the Naka for duplication.

I plan in the next future to swap the 246 for a 4-track reel-to-reel.

Pase
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Pase » Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:16 am

arnoux wrote:
What do you want to do? Release small runs of your music? Or just recording your own music on cassette and then digitalize it for streaming?

This is my usual process:

I have a Tascam 246 for recording my performances and eventually add some overdubs, then I digitalize to "master" (or edit a bit or add something more) and create a playlist in the DAW, from the DAW I send the music into a Nakamichi zx-9 and I copy my tapes one at the time.

I also recorded stuff going directly into the Nakamichi and then digitalized from there and then back to the Naka for duplication.

I plan in the next future to swap the 246 for a 4-track reel-to-reel.
This is a nice workflow,
I would like to make something similar, hopefully without spending a crazy amount of cash in gear.
Ebay listings of refurbed units are too expensive so I got to be lucky to find one in good shape for a reasonable price.
Thank you! :tu:

P.s.-If you like to let go your 4 track count me in ;)

southphillysynths
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by southphillysynths » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:37 am

I freaking love cassettes I've been threatening for years to get a cassette recorder and record onto cassette.

My dream is to make a drone album and a chip tune album and release them on cassette, that would be so awesome!

That's a wonderful video and it makes me really happy that there is still a plant like that.
Dcramer wrote:"Not all who wiggle are lost" :boat:
WHO IS BOZO TEXINO?!?!

Hallmar
Common Wiggler

Post by Hallmar » Thu May 26, 2016 3:21 am

solaris wrote:
arnoux wrote:
tapeline.co.uk
to no avail.
I had this problem with them too, very limited response and maximum 3 words in every reply.
I thought they didn't care but then suddenly out of nowhere i got the invoice and the order was ready to be shipped??

By my knowledge it's not common practice to create the duplicate tapes and THEN send the invoice. It would make alot more sense to send the invoice, get the payment and then start the duplication procedure.

Me and my friend won't order from tapeline.co.uk again, even though the casettes were soooo nice looking(see pic, did the packaging and stickers ourselves though).

Going to try these guys next.
https://www.duplication.ca/quotes/canad ... ckages.php
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ju4n
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ju4n » Sun May 29, 2016 4:32 pm

Gosh, what and endearing profile. So glad to know a company like that has endured!

Return to “Production Techniques”