nice to see cassette manufacturing is hanging on

Discuss everything related to production, recording, composition, etc.

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

sparood
Wiggling with Experience

Post by sparood » Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:31 pm

Currently dubbing a release, quite interesting how much difference in sound there is between the two decks I'm using, even fully cleaned.

My Technics deck sounds quite like the original digital file ans quite pristine even in the highs, but I can't push it to the limit as on the Yamaha deck, which sounds murkier and pushes vocals way more to the background, but can be pushed a lot harder without any distortion artifacts.

Maybe I'm just bad at cleaning ? But it almost makes me want to get more decks to exploit the differences :hihi:

The Goob
Common Wiggler

Post by The Goob » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:49 am

For the people using these for multi-tracking, which NAC variety are you using? I always used the Maxell Xlii high bias for 4-track and liked the sound - looking for something that might be similar.

prae
Wiggling with Experience

Post by prae » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:17 am

This is a small brokers. They've been quiet for a while but are a great local London business.

https://www.facebook.com/nunheadtapeworks/

gruebleengourd
Veteran Wiggler

Post by gruebleengourd » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:14 am

The Goob wrote:For the people using these for multi-tracking, which NAC variety are you using? I always used the Maxell Xlii high bias for 4-track and liked the sound - looking for something that might be similar.
The 747 cobalt has the same bias and level characteristics as TDK SA which is very close to Maxell XLii

gruebleengourd
Veteran Wiggler

Post by gruebleengourd » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:18 am

sparood wrote: Maybe I'm just bad at cleaning ? But it almost makes me want to get more decks to exploit the differences :hihi:
It's probably not the cleaning. It's much more likely that you need to set the bias and levels correctly for the tape you are using on the Yamaha. If those features are not available on the front panel, then you'll need to tune with the trimpots inside and stick to one tape variety (per type).

I could also be the nature of the decks. The differences in recording character between different decks can be huge in a subtle way, if that makes sense. The recording head plays a role in the sound character as well as the rest of the electronics.

If the difference is really pronounced though, it's more likely bias and level though.

DickMarker
Wiggling with Experience

Post by DickMarker » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:07 am

Recently used these guys Fairview

for my release here Mark Dicker - Frog Eggs ;)

They were really cool and efficient, although I've always had good dealings with Tapeline in the past.

NastyNachos
Common Wiggler

Post by NastyNachos » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:15 am

Thinking about starting to do tape releases myself... It's just nice to have a physical item you can be proud of. Still want to do vinyl though eventually.

Has anyone has any experience with Cascade record pressing yet?

https://www.cascaderecordpressing.com/

Pase
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Pase » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:13 am

It's never too late! ;)
I finally managed to buy my first tape deck, it's a refurbished 3 heads Denon DRM-700A, not cheap (159€) but comes with one year warranty.
Now it's time to find some blank cassettes, any advice for a reliable source?
Thanks!

sparood
Wiggling with Experience

Post by sparood » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:53 pm

Try to get some cheap old ones from your local garage sales, else see sources mentioned at the first page of this topic!

Pase
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Pase » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:40 pm

:tu: Great!
I just ordered a couple of tapes from Tapeline.uk 8-)

SaraXiu
1-Post Wiggler

Re: nice to see cassette manufacturing is hanging on

Post by SaraXiu » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:07 am

In Berlin there is - www.tapedub.com - a cassettes duplication lab and shop. Custom tape length and graphic parts as covers, label stickers, on body printing are offered.

Return to “Production Techniques”