TOFT ATB 16 Patching / Routing ideas

Discuss everything related to production, recording, composition, etc.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

johnny83
Common Wiggler

TOFT ATB 16 Patching / Routing ideas

Post by johnny83 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:44 am

Hi,

A bit of a novice question here, I've been working ITB for several years in logic with a UAD Apollo but wanted for a while to make the change to an analog mixer. I've lined up a Toft ATB16 as it fits my space requirements and also my budget. Now the question is the workflow of this with my Apollo quad thunderbolt (8 outs, 8 ins and an ADAT). I have a few questions if anyone has a similar setup as I will be looking to track, and mix down using the desk:

Should i be looking to increase the amount of ins and out I have with something like an SSL Alpha Link?

For the following which is the best routing options:

LINE (e.g. instrument)
MONITOR
INSERT
DIR OP
MIC

STEREO FX RETURNS
MONITOR RETURNS
SUBGROUP RETURNS
SUBMASTER OUTPUTS
AUX MASTERS

MASTER OP
MASTER INS
2 TK RET
ALT SPEAKER
MAIN SPEAKER

Here are some photos of the back of the AFT. I have read, reread and read again the manual but wanted to supplement this with actual experience from people and get some ideas for routing to help with the workflow.

Thanks as always

Johnny

Ashi
Wiggling with Experience

Re: TOFT ATB 16 Patching / Routing ideas

Post by Ashi » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:18 am

johnny83 wrote: For the following which is the best routing options:

LINE (e.g. instrument)
MONITOR
INSERT
DIR OP
MIC

STEREO FX RETURNS
MONITOR RETURNS
SUBGROUP RETURNS
SUBMASTER OUTPUTS
AUX MASTERS

MASTER OP
MASTER INS
2 TK RET
ALT SPEAKER
MAIN SPEAKER
not sure what you want to know exactly? plug your line sources in the line input etc :hihi:

if you stick with the 8 in and out you could plug them into the subgroup outputs and monitor returns. you could mix everything down to 8 tracks, record them and then play them back via the desk (they would even be normalled to ch 1-8). If you want to use the full conectivity you would need more ins and outs on your soundcard(via ADAT?). Then you could use all 16 direct outputs and the monitor returns per channel to mix down..

johnny83
Common Wiggler

Post by johnny83 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:25 am

Yeah I was thinking maybe using the monitor ins from the Audio interface and mixing them to the subgroups with inserts on them, maybe recording the submaster outputs so 8 outputs, using the line ins / mics for instruments and tracking and monitoring using the UAD.

The more long term plan may be an ADAT that allows using all 16 monitor INS mixed to the subgroups and possibly the subgroup outs and aux masters as a total 14 outputs to route back into the DAW.

Aside from the pricey SSL is there any audio interfaces worth looking into?

Ashi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Ashi » Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:12 pm

I'd personally go for monitoring on the desk and 'analog workflow'
(also my longterm plan)

instruments/synths/what have you into the 16 channels line/mic
aux sends to effects, return on fx returns
mix those down to the 8 sub groups
add the effect returns etc to the groups as well
put rack gear into the group inserts
group outputs into the apollo (8 channels) to record
--you monitor off the toft here, soundcard simply records

apollo outputs into the monitor returns for each subgroup
(those are now normalled to the channels 1-8 if you haven't plugged anything into the channel monitor return)
now mix down either via groups directly (tape switch) or use the channels if you want EQ, aux sends etc as well during mixdown
now record the master out w/ master insert (requires re-patching of you audio interface..patchbay?)

now if you get ADAT in & out or another soundcard (check out also pricey Antelope audio, Behringer ADAT is actually good and very cheap) with a total of 16 ins & outs you can take all 16 channel direct outputs & return on the individual channel monitor returns. leaves the groups completely free for any additional processing. again you need to then repatch your soundcard inputs to allow recording the master ;)

hope that helps!
edit: oh and if you mostly use VST instruments/effects this will be more difficult without the additional in- and outputs as you basically want to send individual sounds to the desk..with 8 channels you'd probably need to do sub mixes ITB and bring them on the desk via groups (?)

ignatius
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ignatius » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:11 pm

get a patch bay. patch all your gear into it and your mixer. then you'll have all the i/o of your whole studio in your face and you can do anything you want.

johnny83
Common Wiggler

Post by johnny83 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:16 am

Thanks, I already have 2 balanced patchbays so I'll spend some time working out the routings.

Any ADATs you recommend without blowing the bank?

bastille
Common Wiggler

Post by bastille » Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:44 pm

Have you already purchased the Toft?

The Goob
Common Wiggler

Post by The Goob » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:40 pm

johnny83 wrote:Any ADATs you recommend without blowing the bank?
Maybe look into Behringer ADA8000. Lots of info on it out there - despite the brand's general reputation, it's pretty highly regarded as a converter for the price. Don't believe it does 96kHz if that matters to you

johnny83
Common Wiggler

Post by johnny83 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:44 am

bastille wrote:Have you already purchased the Toft?
Yes already purchased a dusty relic

bastille
Common Wiggler

Post by bastille » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:54 am

johnny83 wrote:
Didn't mean it like that; I work on a "dusty relic" every day. Working in the computer is just not for me, and I previously owned an ATB-24 + Alphalink myself for a short time.

+1 on patchbays. Put everything on patchbays. I'm running 5 of these but wouldn't fault anyone for springing for these instead - my bays get incredibly densely packed on larger sessions and it can be hard to swap things around in the tangle.

They're a bit long in the tooth at this point, but the Lucid 8824 was a pretty solid performer in its day for ADAT format conversion and can be found dirt cheap these days.

johnny83
Common Wiggler

Post by johnny83 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:24 am

bastille wrote:
johnny83 wrote:
Didn't mean it like that; I work on a "dusty relic" every day. Working in the computer is just not for me, and I previously owned an ATB-24 + Alphalink myself for a short time.

+1 on patchbays. Put everything on patchbays. I'm running 5 of these but wouldn't fault anyone for springing for these instead - my bays get incredibly densely packed on larger sessions and it can be hard to swap things around in the tangle.

They're a bit long in the tooth at this point, but the Lucid 8824 was a pretty solid performer in its day for ADAT format conversion and can be found dirt cheap these days.
Thanks for the info, will definitely try that out. I'm still configuring the information but I can track in the line inputs and route through the 8 subgroups to logic x so I think that suits me for the short term

amichaela
1-Post Wiggler

Re: TOFT ATB 16 Patching / Routing ideas

Post by amichaela » Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:39 pm

Hey guys, you still here???

I got a 16ATB and I have an Apollo 16 and an 8p.

I have way too much gear for someone who doesn't know what he's doing.

I'm running a bunch of outboard effect, (The OTO stuff and some Sttryom stuff)

Currently I'm just running the effects through the AUX outs and back into channels and the sub channels ( half way in the insert)

The lack of effects out is kind of a bummer, curious if the original poster every figured out a routing solution.

I'm trying to figure out how to dedicate two outputs with effect that I can isolate to send things to an Octatrack to sample.

Hope there's folks around still talking about this!!!

Return to “Production Techniques”