Did anyone take the Deadmau5 Masterclass?

Discuss everything related to production, recording, composition, etc.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

WisdomWriter
Common Wiggler
Posts: 97
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:34 am

Post by WisdomWriter » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:38 pm

I took the class and often revisit some of the videos for a little inspiration. the music theory portion is pretty uninformative, but for a beginner some of the patching videos provide decent basics. I really liked his no BS attitude and for some reason his bad taste for EDM intrigues me. but "worth it" hmm tough to say.

Dilibob
Common Wiggler
Posts: 224
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:52 pm

Post by Dilibob » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:40 pm

I took it, I was debating changing my workflow and it helped me make some major post production decisions. It's value is more about concept/business/architectural workflow then how to use daw or modular.

barnettuk
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:30 am

Post by barnettuk » Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:53 pm

Its ok to leave playing in the background while you noodle

User avatar
smallstonefan
Common Wiggler
Posts: 91
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:09 am
Location: Nebraska
Contact:

Post by smallstonefan » Wed May 01, 2019 11:34 am

I bought it and got my money's worth. Then again I've paid $50 for a programming book for one page of info because that was worth way more than the $50 to me.

I learned a few interesting things and I was entertained - great purchase for me. Unlike a lot of people, I have a huge respect for what he's accomplished and appreciated hearing some of his insights.

I also upgraded to the full season pass as there are some other really great classes...

electricanada
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1234
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:26 am
Location: Norfolk, VA

Post by electricanada » Mon May 13, 2019 8:29 pm

circadianeyes wrote:I feel like I've taken this course the amount of times the ad has shown on Youtube. "This is the cardinal sin of EDM right here."
That's the point where the five seconds is up and I click past the ad. After seeing that ad several hundred times, I still don't know what the cardinal sin of EDM is.
Eléctrica (electric) Nāda (the yoga of sound).

User avatar
jdaddyaz
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 433
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:26 pm
Location: Tucson

Post by jdaddyaz » Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:38 am

The cardinal sin is using a vst like Nexus 2, just pressing one key to play the arp sequence and say that's your track. He's basically saying dont do the same thing or use the same samples/presets that everyone else is. Put some work into making the tracks your tracks. P.S.
Dont spend money on this unless you're a Mau5 fan. Very basic rambling information provided.
Be good to yourself, and be good to others.

electricanada
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1234
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:26 am
Location: Norfolk, VA

Post by electricanada » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:09 am

jdaddyaz wrote:The cardinal sin is using a vst like Nexus 2, just pressing one key to play the arp sequence and say that's your track.
I would have thought it was wearing the stupid mask.
Eléctrica (electric) Nāda (the yoga of sound).

User avatar
3hands
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1629
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:36 pm
Location: Ottawa Ontario

Post by 3hands » Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:22 am

That stupid mask made him a lot of money.
Gum is fun, but not on a cat.

My minds an art gallery.

User avatar
Toowoombaus
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:32 pm
Location: Palm Springs

Did anyone take the Deadmau5 Masterclass?

Post by Toowoombaus » Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:14 am

First post here.
Yes I took it. I learned a few things since I'm from the hard rock world and embracing certain things I like in EDM.
I got to see someone work in Ableton which was nice since it's the one software I could never make sense of.
He has an interesting way of working without playing an instrument. Unless you consider a computer an instrument.

Koekepan
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 547
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:50 pm
Location: PNW

Re: Did anyone take the Deadmau5 Masterclass?

Post by Koekepan » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:47 pm

Toowoombaus wrote:First post here.
Yes I took it. I learned a few things since I'm from the hard rock world and embracing certain things I like in EDM.
I got to see someone work in Ableton which was nice since it's the one software I could never make sense of.
He has an interesting way of working without playing an instrument. Unless you consider a computer an instrument.
Agreed. If you want an understanding of the logic behind EDM, as well as the business drivers behind it, it's a solid class.

If, as apparently many people did, you came to learn how to use Ableton rather than going through the world of free Ableton tutorials, you're going to get everything you deserve.

User avatar
Toowoombaus
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:32 pm
Location: Palm Springs

Re: Did anyone take the Deadmau5 Masterclass?

Post by Toowoombaus » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:33 pm

Koekepan wrote:
Toowoombaus wrote:First post here.
Yes I took it. I learned a few things since I'm from the hard rock world and embracing certain things I like in EDM.
I got to see someone work in Ableton which was nice since it's the one software I could never make sense of.
He has an interesting way of working without playing an instrument. Unless you consider a computer an instrument.
Agreed. If you want an understanding of the logic behind EDM, as well as the business drivers behind it, it's a solid class.

If, as apparently many people did, you came to learn how to use Ableton rather than going through the world of free Ableton tutorials, you're going to get everything you deserve.
No I didn’t take it to learn Ableton, it was a bonus to actually see someone using it in a way I had never imagined e.g., using midi chord generators copying pasting chords and moving them up and down a minor third or fourth etc.

It was inspirational a couple of levels so yesterday I upgraded to Ableton 10
I found the “good” video tutorials and after spending some time in the program stumbled onto some amazing discoveries. I’m committed to learning this program well, I’ve learned every other software I’ve owned.

But taking his class was definitely worth the money in fact I did it at least twice all the way through. I think he has a pretty cool studio, it looks like a fun place to work, alone.

Post Reply

Return to “Production Techniques”