Emptyset's feedback loop techniques

Discuss everything related to production, recording, composition, etc.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

User avatar
thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4814
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:05 pm
Location: East Bay, CA US

Post by thetwlo » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:17 am

ambientnoise wrote:Lol funny how you guys are trying to find the Emptyset sound using eurorack even though they don’t use any modular whatsoever.
why is that? they want to EXPAND on THAT sound, not copy it. They don't want to sound exactly like EMPTYSET, as you suggest. that would be fucking stupid. But you persist. on them doing it the same, why?

User avatar
mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2872
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:18 pm
Location: vancity
Contact:

Post by mt3 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:04 am

Spectromat wrote:I was interested by something mt3 said.. regarding the "Pan Sonic approach" I would be very interested in any light you could shine on Pan Sonic's techniques, if anyone is able to? Thanks :)
[video][/video]

Off the top of my head (this is for their early period)...
* subsonics, LFOs
* simple function generators (i.e., test equipment), sine waves
* inaudible, yet physical sound
* etc.

User avatar
Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 10763
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: the Terminal beach

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:09 am

* inaudible, yet physical sound
What do you mean by that?
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

User avatar
mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2872
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:18 pm
Location: vancity
Contact:

Post by mt3 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:51 pm

Paranormal Patroler wrote:
* inaudible, yet physical sound
What do you mean by that?
https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/arti ... s-a-weapon

ambientnoise
Common Wiggler
Posts: 53
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:21 pm

Post by ambientnoise » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:09 pm

thetwlo wrote:
ambientnoise wrote:Lol funny how you guys are trying to find the Emptyset sound using eurorack even though they don’t use any modular whatsoever.
why is that? they want to EXPAND on THAT sound, not copy it. They don't want to sound exactly like EMPTYSET, as you suggest. that would be fucking stupid. But you persist. on them doing it the same, why?
lol triggered

Spectromat
Common Wiggler
Posts: 119
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:03 am
Location: UK

Post by Spectromat » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:13 am

mt3 wrote:Off the top of my head (this is for their early period)...
* subsonics, LFOs
* simple function generators (i.e., test equipment), sine waves
* inaudible, yet physical sound
* etc.
Thanks, yeah I was aware of those elements in Pan sonic's past. I had thought by what you said that there was a specific side chain feedback technique that they were using to add something to their sounds..

But no worries as I got to watch a great documentary on them thanks to you :tu:

FuzzyWuzzy
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:36 am

Emptyset on the Pro 2

Post by FuzzyWuzzy » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:02 am

iVardensphere has an awesome YouTube tutorial in which he details rhythmic sound design on the Pro 2 that's worth checking out as well. In the end, he even goes through some Emptyset inspired patches he made.

[video][/video]
Last edited by FuzzyWuzzy on Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2872
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:18 pm
Location: vancity
Contact:

Re: Emptyset on the Pro 2

Post by mt3 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:49 am

FuzzyWuzzy wrote:iVardensphere has an awesome YouTube tutorial in which he details rhythmic sound design on the Pro 2 that's worth checking out as well. In the end, he even goes through some Emptyset inspired patches he made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TJSgoLpxDo
:party:

vidret
Common Wiggler
Posts: 191
Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:26 pm
Location: Skogen

Re:

Post by vidret » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:29 pm

PhineasFreak wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:21 am
cptnal wrote:
PhineasFreak wrote:
Paranormal Patroler wrote:
PhineasFreak wrote:the only part real hard to achieve in modular is knee because the knee is defined by the curve of the envelope followers and env follows with variable curve arent too common in euro...
You could pass the Envelope follower's output via a Slew I guess.
that would give you a shallower curve on a generally natural log or expo curve, but i'd love to be able to patch together something with those real hard knee sudden change in gradient damn near 90* angles...
Thinking out loud... Two compression-versions into a crossfader controlled by a comparator...? :hmm:
if i coud findan envelope follower with any response curve other than expo that seem like a p damn good solution...
I might be completely wrong here since it hasn’t been suggested already but isn’t this exactly what maths/double andore/a lot of stuff does?

User avatar
PhineasFreak
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1975
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:49 am
Location: South Wales

Re: Re:

Post by PhineasFreak » Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:05 am

vidret wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:29 pm
PhineasFreak wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:21 am
cptnal wrote:
PhineasFreak wrote:
Paranormal Patroler wrote:
PhineasFreak wrote:the only part real hard to achieve in modular is knee because the knee is defined by the curve of the envelope followers and env follows with variable curve arent too common in euro...
You could pass the Envelope follower's output via a Slew I guess.
that would give you a shallower curve on a generally natural log or expo curve, but i'd love to be able to patch together something with those real hard knee sudden change in gradient damn near 90* angles...
Thinking out loud... Two compression-versions into a crossfader controlled by a comparator...? :hmm:
if i coud findan envelope follower with any response curve other than expo that seem like a p damn good solution...
I might be completely wrong here since it hasn’t been suggested already but isn’t this exactly what maths/double andore/a lot of stuff does?
somebody somewhere pointed out the other day you can patch the whole thing with just maths/any dusg - i dont have either to write out the patch right now
https://thomaswulfe.bandcamp.com/
http://www.soundcloud.com/ylem-records/
http://www.soundcloud.com/best-of-ylem/
http://www.soundcloud.com/waxcide/
http://thomaswulfe.muffwiggler.com/
http://ljunggrenaudio.com/
http://waxcide.bandcamp.com/
Just remember what Phineas would say... "eurorack can get you through times of no money better than money can get you through times of no eurorack". - bkbirge/

Technologear?
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 285
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:08 am
Location: Straya

Re:

Post by Technologear? » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:17 am

mt3 wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:15 am
:party:
:sb:
+1! This track is awesome! Glad I went through this thread.

User avatar
orangehexagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1161
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:30 pm

Re:

Post by orangehexagon » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:18 pm

ambientnoise wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:09 pm
thetwlo wrote:
ambientnoise wrote:Lol funny how you guys are trying to find the Emptyset sound using eurorack even though they don’t use any modular whatsoever.
why is that? they want to EXPAND on THAT sound, not copy it. They don't want to sound exactly like EMPTYSET, as you suggest. that would be fucking stupid. But you persist. on them doing it the same, why?
lol triggered
careful my dude you are treading on the "don't be a dick" rule of the forum.

Post Reply

Return to “Production Techniques”