Secret weapon processing (plugins/hardware)

Discuss everything related to production, recording, composition, etc.

Moderators: lisa, Kent, Joe.

pkkkkknn
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:10 pm

Post by pkkkkknn » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:40 am

Good old (discontinued) Camelspace / Camelphat for mangling sounds completely unrecognizable.

Also Waves Abbey Road Plates and Apex Aural Exciter, these both have insane amounts of character.

apestate
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:17 am
Location: Maastricht

Post by apestate » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:02 am

Kilohearts bundle in combination with Ableton effects = extreme control of timbre.

User avatar
slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1108
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:27 am
Location: 44G
Contact:

Post by slumberjack » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:18 am

for mixing in the daw i'd be interested for a nice panning solution where i can fine tune the adjustments of a mono track to sit. also some l/r modulation aka ping-pong would be nice to have.

User avatar
locust_locust
Common Wiggler
Posts: 176
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:15 am

Post by locust_locust » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:47 am

I have one of these:

Image

User avatar
slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1108
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:27 am
Location: 44G
Contact:

Post by slumberjack » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:18 am

locust_locust wrote:I have one of these:
that's a nice piece of gear which drives my gas instantly but i'm looking for individual settings on a single channel before the mixdown. i'm very unhappy with the pan 'knob' in my daw.

User avatar
xenosapien
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 826
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:30 am
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany

Post by xenosapien » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:58 am

you could start by telling us which DAW you use.

"my" DAW (reaper) for example has several panning law modes I can switch between.
so there´s less potential for unhappiness there... maybe your DAW offers this as well?
may you live in interesting times.

User avatar
slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1108
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:27 am
Location: 44G
Contact:

Post by slumberjack » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:46 am

xenosapien wrote:you could start by telling us which DAW you use.

"my" DAW (reaper) for example has several panning law modes I can switch between.
so there´s less potential for unhappiness there... maybe your DAW offers this as well?
please tell me more, we're using the same application. if find the pan knob horibble compared to the one in live and never found an autopan function either.

User avatar
BailyDread
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 265
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:55 pm

Post by BailyDread » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:35 am

locust_locust wrote:I have one of these:

Image
when this came out i was really stoked on it. out of my price range tho.

could you please let us know some of the ways you use it? i really liked the fact that it has an adjustable high pass and a low shelf that are very interactive. you can cut @ 50 hz and boost at 30 hz simultaneously or something, right? like a pultec style. seems like it would be very cool for sculpting the bottom end.

User avatar
xenosapien
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 826
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:30 am
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany

Post by xenosapien » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:22 am

slumberjack wrote:
xenosapien wrote:you could start by telling us which DAW you use.

"my" DAW (reaper) for example has several panning law modes I can switch between.
so there´s less potential for unhappiness there... maybe your DAW offers this as well?
please tell me more, we're using the same application. if find the pan knob horibble compared to the one in live and never found an autopan function either.
I´m not at home right now, but check in the settings, probably something like (from memory now/referencing an old manual):

File->Project Setting->Advanced->Pan law/mode

I honestly do not know how and what the precise differences are or how they work, but it does make a difference between 2 or 3 of these.

I remember liking the default the most, actually - seems to be a matter of taste, but then again I´ve never used Ableton so I wouldn´t know if that one is better.

"Autopan" is an effect and therefore you won´t see an "option" for it.

There IS a "JSFX" plugin for autopan though, just select "all plugins" and search for 'Pan' or 'autopan' there.

Other than that, I simply automate my panning...
may you live in interesting times.

User avatar
Soy Sos
Dub Surgeon
Posts: 4499
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:38 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA USA

Post by Soy Sos » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:43 am

I don't understand how someone could be: "very unhappy with the pan 'knob' in my daw"
I've worked on consoles and DAWs (Performer and now Ableton) for many years and have never even thought about there being a problem. Performer has a trim plug-in that allows for level and panning of the left and right side of a stereo channel and Ableton now has a right click option that changes the pan knob to a left and right panning set. (if that makes sense)
Image
But on to other fun things!
Another method I have been using heavily in mixing with Ableton is parallel processing with effects racks. I'll create multiple versions of effects chains and mix to taste. An example would be a subby low passed chain and a buzzy distorted high passed version of the bass line. Then for example I can sneak in the buzzy version to taste or automate it to bring more aggression to certain moments in the track. I could also side chain the subby side with the kick drum a little I'd I want to make more space for the low end of the mix.
Image
Last edited by Soy Sos on Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.

User avatar
xenosapien
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 826
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:30 am
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany

Post by xenosapien » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:37 am

Soy Sos

It wasn´t until after he posted that I started reading up about different panning laws in Reaper (and other DAWs) and apparently, there are some "right" and "less right" ways to handle panning..

-> especially stereo "Pan" aka balance...

what seems to happen is that in some cases, the center position would actually cause the whole track gain to increase by 3dB or something if it was mono material in a stereo track (in Reaper) *

seems to be a digital era issue and I can see why it would be one for some people... I don´t really care THAT much either, to be honest.

My golden rule is always "if it sounds good, I don´t care how it was made."



* careful: this "info" was obtained after reading forums for 20mins in my lunchbreak today. might be full of horseshit! ;)
may you live in interesting times.

User avatar
slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1108
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:27 am
Location: 44G
Contact:

Post by slumberjack » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:51 pm

xenosapien wrote:
slumberjack wrote:
xenosapien wrote:you could start by telling us which DAW you use.

"my" DAW (reaper) for example has several panning law modes I can switch between.
so there´s less potential for unhappiness there... maybe your DAW offers this as well?
please tell me more, we're using the same application. if find the pan knob horibble compared to the one in live and never found an autopan function either.
I´m not at home right now, but check in the settings, probably something like (from memory now/referencing an old manual):

File->Project Setting->Advanced->Pan law/mode

I honestly do not know how and what the precise differences are or how they work, but it does make a difference between 2 or 3 of these.

I remember liking the default the most, actually - seems to be a matter of taste, but then again I´ve never used Ableton so I wouldn´t know if that one is better.

"Autopan" is an effect and therefore you won´t see an "option" for it.

There IS a "JSFX" plugin for autopan though, just select "all plugins" and search for 'Pan' or 'autopan' there.

Other than that, I simply automate my panning...
thx for the hint, i've been lazy with rtfm lately.

User avatar
xenosapien
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 826
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:30 am
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany

Post by xenosapien » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:13 am

slumberjack wrote:thx for the hint, i've been lazy with rtfm lately.
no worries - I have a job with a bit of downtime in between customers, so I often get to RTFM at work ;)
may you live in interesting times.

User avatar
slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1108
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:27 am
Location: 44G
Contact:

Post by slumberjack » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:21 pm

xenosapien wrote:
slumberjack wrote:thx for the hint, i've been lazy with rtfm lately.
no worries - I have a job with a bit of downtime in between customers, so I often get to RTFM at work ;)
lucky you! :party:

foolprint
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:10 am

Post by foolprint » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:41 pm

....
Last edited by foolprint on Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

calaveras
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3495
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:02 pm

Post by calaveras » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:35 pm

Overdriving the crap out of the Deltalabs Effectron. You can use the compressed signal by itself, or blend in the delay/flange.
Littlelabs VOG is epic good on everything. I have to stop myself sometimes.
Also a huge fan of mid side recording guitar, drums and piano. Then meddling with the phase and time domain relationship of the mid and side channels. I've gotten some insane sounds this way before. Like the drums are imploding or like the guitar is rushing in from the corners of the room.

I used to use an old 6x2 transformer based mixer that I modded with 6xtransformer coupled direct outs. Gave my synths and stuff more solid bottom end.

User avatar
acidbob
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2619
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:48 am
Location: Denmark

Post by acidbob » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:38 am


calaveras
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3495
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:02 pm

Post by calaveras » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:53 am


Cool I’ll have to check that out!

User avatar
felixer
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4140
Joined: Thu May 13, 2010 9:27 pm
Location: germany

Post by felixer » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:47 am

xenosapien wrote: seems to be a digital era issue
not at all. it applies to analogmixers too. it's just that you don't have any options to change 'm so you work with what you got. adjusting levels as you go ... and usually you know from the beginning what is going to be stereo and what not. THINK BEFORE YOU MIX !
don't need midi, don't need keys, just want knobs and cables (all together now ;-)

Scories
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 994
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:29 am

Post by Scories » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:00 am

Is there a cheap vst plug-in that can do clean timestretching ?

User avatar
felixer
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4140
Joined: Thu May 13, 2010 9:27 pm
Location: germany

Post by felixer » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:23 am

Scories wrote:
Is there a cheap vst plug-in that can do clean timestretching ?
there is a decent timestretch in reaper ... it struggles with sharp attacks if you overdo it, but otherwise it's fine
don't need midi, don't need keys, just want knobs and cables (all together now ;-)

User avatar
3hands
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 538
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:36 pm
Location: Ottawa Ontario

Post by 3hands » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:50 pm

Allen&Heath system 8 console. Because dat EQ doe.
Gum is fun, but not on a cat.

My minds an art gallery.

User avatar
acidbob
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2619
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:48 am
Location: Denmark

Post by acidbob » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:55 am

Scories wrote:
Is there a cheap vst plug-in that can do clean timestretching ?
Yes, I would say FL Studio can do that out of the box.

Otherwise maybe this will do:
https://tal-software.com/products/tal-sampler

User avatar
CosmicFlight
Common Wiggler
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:55 pm
Location: France

Post by CosmicFlight » Thu May 30, 2019 3:52 pm

Elysia HW stuff here

User avatar
dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 6063
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:45 pm

Post by dubonaire » Thu May 30, 2019 4:27 pm

I recently got the Waves Scheps Omni Channel and it's basically the only thing I use now, FX aside. How do I use it? Either direct on a channel or parallel processing and more often than not I just find an appropriate preset, and then maybe tweak that a bit. It's very cleverly designed for someone like me who is not an expert. It is easy to do mid/side processing and there is a focus button which highlights the key controls for particular presets. So the Omni Channel is helping me learn as well.

I find Klanghelm MJUC to be really good for me on the drum bus but at the moment I'm preferring using the Omni Channel.

Around the same time I picked up Echoboy and it does have the mojo everyone raves about.

Post Reply

Return to “Production Techniques”