How Do You Clear Your Mind?

Discuss everything related to production, recording, composition, etc.

Moderators: lisa, Kent, Joe.

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:29 am

sir stony wrote:On a different although related note:
when you dive really deep into a patching and/or sound design session in general, how do you free yourself from the hypnotic state that will keep you from pressing "record" in time? Happens to me so damn often and I never yet found a reliable way to escape it without destroying the magic of it, too..
:hmm:
Hit record before you start. :despair:

umma gumma
Veteran Wiggler

Post by umma gumma » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:25 pm

well, now that pot is legal around here, I'm going to fire up a big spliff and release my inner Cheech & Chong...

Phil999
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Phil999 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:45 pm

3pand wrote:I would always get stressed out by the noisy world around me because I was always obsessively working on or thinking about what I was writing throughout the course of a normal day. It took me a while to realize that my personal solution was to just devote some uninterrupted time with zero distractions to working on music every day and then to forget about it the rest of the time.
[emphasis by me]
you mention two important aspects. Actually three.

1. noise which can distract, but that's somehow self-explanatory, even more distracting if you are in some process on musical research and composition
2. the importance of finding a space of quietness
3. to forget about it all and pick it up later

The first two points are well known and obvious, the third one is a bit difficult to grasp in my experience. There is a fear of losing the verve. That all these obstructions in your live may prevent you from being (or remaining) creative and productive. This fear can go very deep, into the abyss of desperation and meaninglessness. When you feel that everything you've accomplished, learned, worked hard, is just a dream without value.

But then there are these instants when you pick up a musical instrument and realise that the music is still there. That things may even have improved. That all the time that has passed in obscurity did not change a bit in your art.

Edit: about the 'press record before you start' thing: I guess we all know that problem. What I tell myself in such situations is this: it was good, the sound was good, the settings were good. And if I can't replicate this state, I still have a lot to learn about patching and sound engineering. Or else, which is also fine: remember to hit record before.

barnettuk
Learning to Wiggle

Post by barnettuk » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:49 am

Two cups of coffee

joeTron
Learning to Wiggle

Post by joeTron » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:10 am

I learned this almost 40 years ago from a composition teacher 3 times my age at the time : Grab something technical like a chord progression or scale then draw arcs and slopes of different shapes and mimic the shapes musically. It won't matter what's in your head or if your not inspired because you've challenged your intellect rather than what you might be feeling at the moment. Whatever you start might gradually lead to something very inspirational.

Return to “Production Techniques”