Barker - Berlin sound and reverse stabs

Discuss everything related to production, recording, composition, etc.

Moderators: lisa, Kent, Joe.

Post Reply
StrangeAttraction
Common Wiggler
Posts: 189
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:51 pm
Location: London

Barker - Berlin sound and reverse stabs

Post by StrangeAttraction » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:05 am

Hello
I've been really enjoying the last two Barker albums.
Trying to figure out how he achieves this "reverse" or a slow attack sound, so prominent at the end of every 1-2 bars, especially on the tracks such as
Barker - Cascade Effect and Look How Hard I've Tried.
It has this effect of sucking you into the downbeat, which is awesome.
Also, I wonder how he gets these awesome Berlin chord sound, sounds a bit liek a resonator, but I have no clue how he achieves it exactly. It seems to be quite prominent among many OstgutTon releases.
Thanks.

User avatar
PhineasFreak
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1929
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:49 am
Location: South Wales

Post by PhineasFreak » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:40 pm

what aspect of the slow attack sound do you struggle with? its just a chord stab but with the envelope set to long attack and short everything else?

the berlin resonator sound i'd bet my left arm is done using abletons resonator...
https://thomaswulfe.bandcamp.com/
http://www.soundcloud.com/ylem-records/
http://www.soundcloud.com/best-of-ylem/
http://www.soundcloud.com/waxcide/
http://thomaswulfe.muffwiggler.com/
http://ljunggrenaudio.com/
http://waxcide.bandcamp.com/
Just remember what Phineas would say... "eurorack can get you through times of no money better than money can get you through times of no eurorack". - bkbirge/

User avatar
Rost + Licht
Common Wiggler
Posts: 101
Joined: Tue May 30, 2017 4:07 am
Location: Berlin

Post by Rost + Licht » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:25 am

https://www.instagram.com/p/BrX40MunQJp/

here is an instagram post of him where he shows the routing of 'look how hard i tried'

could be the optomix modulated, for that sucking effect

User avatar
dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 6063
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:45 pm

Post by dubonaire » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:14 am

Also possible he is using reverse samples.

StrangeAttraction
Common Wiggler
Posts: 189
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:51 pm
Location: London

Post by StrangeAttraction » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:13 am

thanks all for help.
I've done more digging and also saw those instagram posts where Sam explains it's just done ducking a chord using two channels of Maths and two LPGs. That reverse sound as one of you said it's done using a slow attack envelope. I've tried reversing a stab but it didn't sound right.

User avatar
drowld
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 971
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:53 pm

Post by drowld » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:03 am

StrangeAttraction wrote:thanks all for help.
I've done more digging and also saw those instagram posts where Sam explains it's just done ducking a chord using two channels of Maths and two LPGs. That reverse sound as one of you said it's done using a slow attack envelope. I've tried reversing a stab but it didn't sound right.
I know he use an optomix.
There's some infos about the process (just not enough hehe)
I love thoses release so much.
Apparently the stab sound is layer upon layer of pad then processed :)

https://cdm.link/2019/09/barker-berghai ... t-utility/

https://xlr8r.com/features/barker-moving-with-melody/

User avatar
dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 6063
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:45 pm

Post by dubonaire » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:49 am

I think Barker's album is really nice but I think the 'groundbreaking' narrative that is in all the media is just hype. Clearly he managed to make it into the Berghain inner circle and is being heavily promoted by Ostgut Ton. All power to him, he is a good producer, but it's not revolutionary.

User avatar
drowld
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 971
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:53 pm

Post by drowld » Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:04 am

dubonaire wrote:I think Barker's album is really nice but I think the 'groundbreaking' narrative that is in all the media is just hype. Clearly he managed to make it into the Berghain inner circle and is being heavily promoted by Ostgut Ton. All power to him, he is a good producer, but it's not revolutionary.
Who said it was revolutionary ?
probably people with not that much knowledge in some complex / deep electronic music
It's kinda different yeh but revolutionary i don't think so.
The album is really good i don't care much about the hype.

It's in a similar vein but different ttthan Jon Hopkins works on his last album and immunity. Basically heavy LPGish processing making melodic stuff more percussiv and really the center of attention

User avatar
dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 6063
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:45 pm

Post by dubonaire » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:13 am

drowld wrote:
dubonaire wrote:I think Barker's album is really nice but I think the 'groundbreaking' narrative that is in all the media is just hype. Clearly he managed to make it into the Berghain inner circle and is being heavily promoted by Ostgut Ton. All power to him, he is a good producer, but it's not revolutionary.
Who said it was revolutionary ?
probably people with not that much knowledge in some complex / deep electronic music
It's kinda different yeh but revolutionary i don't think so.
The album is really good i don't care much about the hype.

It's in a similar vein but different ttthan Jon Hopkins works on his last album and immunity. Basically heavy LPGish processing making melodic stuff more percussiv and really the center of attention
All the media articles that were probably built on an Ostgut Ton press release.

Post Reply

Return to “Production Techniques”