Mono signal, processing with two spring reverbs for stereo

Discuss everything related to production, recording, composition, etc.

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

kevin0
Learning to Wiggle

Mono signal, processing with two spring reverbs for stereo

Post by kevin0 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:20 am

Hello all,

If I had a mono sound source that I wanted to make stereo by putting it through two very different spring reverbs, what processing should I do to the the three resultant tracks in my DAW to create a rich and convincing stereo image?

unrecordings
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by unrecordings » Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:46 pm

I'd just make sure that everything was okay in terms of phase, and maybe try experimenting with mid/side instead of just trying to mix the dry/output a/output b

BendingBus
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Mono signal, processing with two spring reverbs for ster

Post by BendingBus » Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:42 pm

I do this all the time using a Demeter dual spring verb which has two different verb lengths. Mismatched length adds stereo interest.
kevin0 wrote:...what processing should I do to the three resultant tracks in my DAW to create a rich and convincing stereo image?
After you capture the tracks in the DAW just EQ the stereo reverb different from the mono dry signal—almost always a HPF, sometimes a LPF, and then some midrange EQ to make it sit in its own space. Usually I EQ the L/R the same, but in your case you might need to EQ the sides differently to make your totally different verbs feel more cohesive. As mentioned you could also M/S EQ, although I rarely mess with that. You can also stereo compress it to keep the level high in the mix, and/or ride the fader to duck it out of the way of the direct sound, and then ride the tails up. Or duck it using sidechain compression.

BenA718
Veteran Wiggler

Post by BenA718 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:42 am

Another nice toy for taking a mono source to stereo is the TC Electronic MIMIQ.

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Mono signal, processing with two spring reverbs for stereo

Post by slumberjack » Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:46 pm

i'd put the dry signal to center with about less than two thirds loundness to the wet, pan the (100% wet) other two at around 75-80% l/r and send all the in one small plate/room at max 10% wet level and/or add a resonator (and compress or overdrive/saturate if you need to reduce dynamics and add more glue).

Return to “Production Techniques”