How to get this kick

Discuss everything related to production, recording, composition, etc.

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

kosm
Learning to Wiggle

How to get this kick

Post by kosm » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:47 am

Hello fellow wiggler,

first post, was a quiet reader until now, but now I need your help.

I am blown away by this Kickdrum of Efdemin:
Efdemin - Transducer

Maybe it is simple, but can't get my kick right. So, how can achieve something similar?

Thanks

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:49 am

Overdrive a 909 kick sample and you’re there, I’d say. :sb:
Remorseless modular beat; a bit discordant but melodic too. 🦊🦂

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:22 am

909 -> Unfiltered Audio Zip -> Camel Crusher

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:56 am

Most likely 909. Efdemin has a pretty amazing studio and he could have arrived at this several ways. He also worked with two great mixing and mastering people on this album, Rashad Becker and Tobias Freund, so anything could have been done. The key elements I hear are (i) the tail is long - this could have been by sample envelope decay or compression and (ii) there is some softness which could be tape compression or some kind of character adding outboard. I'm not hearing a huge amount of distortion. Distorted 909s tend to have this kind of hissy artifact.

The muted attack makes me think compression plays a part.

Efdemin at his Berlin best on this track.

kosm
Learning to Wiggle

Post by kosm » Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:14 am

Thank you so much for your replies. Really appreciate it.
dubonaire wrote:Efdemin at his Berlin best on this track.
The whole Album "Decay" is a masterpiece. I also enjoy what Tobias Freund is doing very much. Great artists.

leeski
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by leeski » Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:02 am

i would have thought 808 but he does have a 909 in these pictures too
https://inverted-audio.com/feature/in-t ... h-efdemin/
«:::A:::» «:::W:::» «:::E:::» «:::S:::» «:::O:::» «:::M:::» «:::E:::»

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:04 am

kosm wrote:Thank you so much for your replies. Really appreciate it.
dubonaire wrote:Efdemin at his Berlin best on this track.
The whole Album "Decay" is a masterpiece. I also enjoy what Tobias Freund is doing very much. Great artists.
Not sure if you are already across this but check out some of the more moody Sender releases like https://www.discogs.com/Sten-Restless/release/249755 and also Peter Grummich - Berlin 8am. Two classic tracks that get that vibe like nothing else :).

listentoaheartbeat
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by listentoaheartbeat » Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:35 pm

Sounds like an 808 kick to me. There is definitely saturation, but not in the sense of just slamming the kick into whatever will clip and distort. This would produce much stronger first harmonics, especially in the range of the initial pitch decay where the kick has a lot of energy. Could be parallel processing and filtering, for example.

I think what is special about this kick is its texture: the transient has kind of a double click, which goes nicely with the subtle click on the offbeat. The initial double click could be an artefact from clipping a gain stage, or compression with fast attack. Also the amount of noise that is pulled up is quite delicate as it provides just the right amount of space around the kick. There is a touch of reverb, too.

Personally, I would try a combination of filtering (EQ) and saturation. Here's a quick attempt using a stock Ableton 808 kick sample with an envelope applied in the audio clip, filtering (EQ) and saturation using two instances of Soundtoys Decapitator, and compression using a 1176-style plug-in in 'ALL' mode:

Ballpark, I would say. To get closer, one would need to add some ambience/reverb, and since saturation and distortion are non-linear functions, the input signal's amplitude envelope is essential. Therefore, adjusting the envelope or using different 808 kicks will have a strong effect. The screenshot below shows the settings in Decapitator (note the filtering and parallel processing):

Last edited by listentoaheartbeat on Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:14 am, edited 5 times in total.

kosm
Learning to Wiggle

Post by kosm » Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:29 pm

dubonaire wrote:Not sure if you are already across this but check out some of the more moody Sender releases like https://www.discogs.com/Sten-Restless/release/249755 and also Peter Grummich - Berlin 8am. Two classic tracks that get that vibe like nothing else :).
Great tunes, didn't now them. Thanks for sharing.
listentoaheartbeat wrote:Sounds like an 808 kick to me. There is definitely saturation, but not in the sense of just slamming the kick into whatever will clip and distort. This would produce much stronger first harmonics, especially in the range of the initial pitch decay where the kick has a lot of energy. Could be parallel processing and filtering, for example.

I think what is special about this kick is its texture: the transient has kind of a double click, which goes nicely with the subtle click on the offbeat. The initial double click could be an artefact from clipping a gain stage, or compression with fast attack. Also the amount of noise that is pulled up is quite delicate—it provides just the right amount of space around the kick. There is a touch of reverb, too.

Personally, I would try a combination of filtering (EQ) and saturation. Here's a quick attempt using the stock 808 kick sample from Ableton's Core 808 kit through Decapitator (Transducer kick, processed 808 sample, original 808 sample, processed 808 sample, original 808 sample, processed 808 sample):

[s]https://soundcloud.com/main_void/808-transducer/s-k8VeZ[/s]

Ballpark, I would say. Adding some ambience will get you closer, and since saturation and distortion are non-linear functions, the input signal's amplitude envelope is essential. Therefore, try using different 808 kicks or add an envelope to the sample. The screenshot below shows the settings in Decapitator (note the filtering and parallel processing):

Thanks. I will try as soon as I am back in the studio.

Return to “Production Techniques”