Intellijel Quadrax

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

djd_oz
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Intellijel Quadrax

Post by djd_oz » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:36 am

Yes, I've seen the above issue as well.

renasent
Wiggling with Experience

Post by renasent » Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:35 pm

djd_oz wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:36 am
Yes, I've seen the above issue as well.
And me. I hope to get a replacement. Partly because I would not be able to sell it unless I mentioned the issue, which would then devalue it.

However, I have no intention of selling it. I still use my original Quadra which was from its first batch too.

Hope to hear back from Intellijel soon.

insoul8
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by insoul8 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:03 pm

I got my replacement board over the weekend and it works great. After comparing the two, the firmware fix really is quite good though. There is not much of a difference if any while it was very noticeable to me beforehand.
A few bits and bobs for sale here.

closedLoop
Common Wiggler

Post by closedLoop » Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:21 pm

renasent wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:35 pm
Intellijel has been slow to respond on this, and pretty silent on all the issues posted in this thread.

ima_jrk
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ima_jrk » Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:46 pm

closedLoop wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:21 pm
renasent wrote:
Intellijel has been slow to respond on this, and pretty silent on all the issues posted in this thread.
Their original posts were lost during the upgrade and then the holidays hit over two weeks so I understand the slowness. They have been responsive to me-got an email checking in if I was happy with the replacement approach I took (I’ll have it on Friday from PC). If you have a concern and want to get the DAC addressed either look in to replacing with your retailer or use their support email, attach a picture of the DAC and your receipt, and engage with them directly. This is what I did and I don’t feel like they have gone dark on me except during the holidays which they apologized for to me.

This situation has not been ideal but I don’t feel like I was left out to dry.

djd_oz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by djd_oz » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:16 pm

Just contact them via. e-mail ... they have agreed to swap mine out.

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:54 am

insoul8 wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:03 pm
I got my replacement board over the weekend and it works great. After comparing the two, the firmware fix really is quite good though. There is not much of a difference if any while it was very noticeable to me beforehand.
Thanks for the info. Much appreciated. :)

renasent
Wiggling with Experience

Post by renasent » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:05 am

ima_jrk wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:46 pm
closedLoop wrote:
renasent wrote:
Their original posts were lost during the upgrade and then the holidays hit over two weeks so I understand the slowness. They have been responsive to me-got an email checking in if I was happy with the replacement approach I took (I’ll have it on Friday from PC). If you have a concern and want to get the DAC addressed either look in to replacing with your retailer or use their support email, attach a picture of the DAC and your receipt, and engage with them directly. This is what I did and I don’t feel like they have gone dark on me except during the holidays which they apologized for to me.

Thanks guys. I emaled in with pics before the holidays, but of course it has just been the holidays! I’m sure I’ll hear back soon. :tu:

galaxie
Common Wiggler

Post by galaxie » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:46 am

I am glad that I found this thread before pulling trigger on Quadrax. Need to wait a few more months before the dusts are settled.

jjr
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jjr » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:01 am

id say as long as you buy a new one that will be in stock soon, you have nothing to fear and will be getting an amazing module
Smurfs

scottmfr
Common Wiggler

Post by scottmfr » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:19 pm

renasent wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:05 am
ima_jrk wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:46 pm
closedLoop wrote:
renasent wrote:

Thanks guys. I emaled in with pics before the holidays, but of course it has just been the holidays! I’m sure I’ll hear back soon. :tu:
If you're still waiting for a reply, it might be a good idea to send an another e-mail to support@intellijel.com just in case it fell through the cracks.

Gohan2A
Common Wiggler

Post by Gohan2A » Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:19 pm

work great :party:
chip found on mouser site, medium requirement for solder

jjr
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jjr » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:59 am

I've mostly posted about the 12bit chip and worrying about that.

I want to take a moment and say that this module is really amazing, it had been a while since I put something in my rack that is so much fun /complex and yet intuitive to use. I find that since integrating it into my patches ( in combination with a recent purchase of a Springray 2) I am hearing really organic, animal /insect fluctuations, sounds and "movement" that remind me of when I first fell in love with synthesis back when I was building Blacet modules.

:mygod:
Smurfs

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:08 pm

jjr wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:59 am
I've mostly posted about the 12bit chip and worrying about that.

I want to take a moment and say that this module is really amazing, it had been a while since I put something in my rack that is so much fun /complex and yet intuitive to use. I find that since integrating it into my patches ( in combination with a recent purchase of a Springray 2) I am hearing really organic, animal /insect fluctuations, sounds and "movement" that remind me of when I first fell in love with synthesis back when I was building Blacet modules.

:mygod:
That's great to hear, thanks for sharing. :)

ima_jrk
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ima_jrk » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:27 pm

jjr wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:59 am

I want to take a moment and say that this module is really amazing
Thanks for reminding us of this. I get mine tomorrow and can’t wait to explore it. As more get out there I look forward to more people sharing the amazing things they are doing with Quadrax!

ima_jrk
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ima_jrk » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:51 pm

Just confirming that I received my replacement from PC today and it has the 16bit DAC. I hope to play with it tomorrow.

jschussler
Common Wiggler

Post by jschussler » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:14 pm

Got mine today, it has the 12bit DAC. From reading this thread, my impression is that any issues with that DAC have been mitgated via firmware, yes?

Is there really any point in swapping out for a 16 bit board at this point?

megarat
Common Wiggler

Post by megarat » Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:07 am

jschussler wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:14 pm
From reading this thread, my impression is that any issues with that DAC have been mitgated via firmware, yes?

Yes, the firmware update has apparently solved the problems that led to this issue being noticed in the first place.

In my opinion, the only current reason for a fix/swap is peace of mind. It's possible that the 12-bit DAC might result in a problem that is yet-to-be discovered, or result from a future firmware update, and fixing it now would render such a hypothetical future problem moot.

Personally, both of my Quadraxes have the 12-bit chip, and I had considered getting them both fixed, but decided to have faith in the process. I've been impressed with Intellijel's judgement thus far, so I'll be happy to give them my support with this issue. That said, if someone does a comprehensive comparison between the two versions and demonstrates an audible difference, then I'll probably reconsider it. But for now I'm having way too much fun with the Quadrax to jump at shadows.

Someone earlier mentioned that a Quadrax with a 12-bit DAC will have a lower resale value than one with a 16-bit DAC, and that's something to consider if you flip your gear. I don't anticipate selling mine until the Quadrax2 comes out, and by that time the 12-bit DAC won't be the biggest thing affecting its price.
Last edited by megarat on Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ToddOMG
Common Wiggler

Post by ToddOMG » Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:45 am

The only thing worse than the $330 price tag is the fact this module is totally worth it. Looks like I’ll be saving up!

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:19 am

megarat wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:07 am
jschussler wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:14 pm
From reading this thread, my impression is that any issues with that DAC have been mitgated via firmware, yes?

Yes, the firmware update has apparently solved the problems that led to this issue being noticed in the first place.

In my opinion, the only current reason for a fix/swap is peace of mind. It's possible that the 12-bit DAC might result in a problem that is yet-to-be discovered, or result from a future firmware update, and fixing it now would render such a hypothetical future problem moot.

Personally, both of my Quadraxes have the 12-bit chip, and I had considered getting them both fixed, but decided to have faith in the process. I've been impressed with Intellijel's judgement thus far, so I'll be happy to give them my support with this issue. That said, if someone does a comprehensive comparison between the two versions and demonstrates an audible difference, then I'll probably reconsider it. But for now I'm having way too much fun with the Quadrax to jump at shadows.

Someone earlier mentioned that a Quadrax with a 12-bit DAC will have a lower resale value than one with a 16-bit DAC, and that's something to consider if you flip your gear. I don't anticipate selling mine until the Quadrax2 comes out, and by that time the 12-bit DAC won't be the biggest thing affecting its price.
I would say it won't necessarily have any effect on resale value. Most people aren't on muffwiggler and won't read this thread or even care if it's a 12bit or a 16bit DAC, as long as the module functions as it should.

scottmfr
Common Wiggler

Post by scottmfr » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:09 pm

For what it's worth, the Intellijel Quadrax video manuals were all made with the 12-bit DAC.

Wimperis
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Wimperis » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:03 pm

https://wimperis.bandcamp.com/track/int ... lator-test

That's a clean test of using Quadrax as an oscillator. Single LFO tuned to VCO range, sequenced by Metropolis, modulating Fall and Shape, running through the Atlantis filter which is pretty open.

I've only had it for a week and I think it's a brilliant module. It's great for envelopes, lfos and burst stuff but I've been having the most fun using it as a 4 voice oscillator with loads of sync and wavetable options. It's a bugger to tune them all together but once they're in tune they sound great for building chords and getting them interacting with one another.

Saladolar
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Saladolar » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:37 am

The link doesn't work...

Nightly Closures
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Nightly Closures » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:30 am

I picked mine up yesterday from my local synth shop (Wish You Were Gear, in Miami (It’s amazing to have something like this in town. However, like the new skatepark downtown it’s about 20 years too late)). Mine has the correct chip and they even tossed in the expander for free! I’ll run it through some tests tonight with a scope and report anything strange if I find it. This has been the first purchase in a while and I’m psyched!!!

Wimperis
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Wimperis » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:44 pm

Saladolar wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:37 am
The link doesn't work...
Here's a soundcloud link instead

https://soundcloud.com/wimperis/quadrax ... st/s-Ip509

Return to “Eurorack Modules”