Distrokid experiences/alternatives?

Discuss everything related to production, recording, composition, etc.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

tIB
Stainer!

Distrokid experiences/alternatives?

Post by tIB » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:44 am

Despite reservations Im thinking about branching into the world of spotify etc for my next release. I was chatting to a friend a while back who I think said used distrokid - from the little I've read it seems to be cheaper/better than the likes of tunecore etc?

I'm up for the idea of being talked down too, since I've been quite happy releasing on bandcaamp - I guess its all about making things more easily available and a wider user base of listeners, though I've always hated the idea of spotify. I can't even bring myself to use youtube so... Thoughts please?!

tIB
Stainer!

Re: Distrokid experiences/alternatives?

Post by tIB » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:52 am

Appears soundrop is a thing to, which has a similar model to bandcamp in that it takes a cut of sales while having a lower start price... might b worth a try? Its not like Im going to make money out of this...

BenA718
Veteran Wiggler

Post by BenA718 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:42 am

I have been using CD Baby for digital distribution going on five years now and I don’t have any complaints aside from the fact that it doesn’t really seem to have as much of a supportive scene for underground and solo artists as Bandcamp. It’s also more expensive. But I love the ability of having download cards to sell/give away and the digital distribution is quite good and equitable as far as it goes; digital downloads pay virtually nothing!

naturligfunktion
Veteran Wiggler

Post by naturligfunktion » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:49 am

My friends use Distrokid, and they like it. I use Ditto and from what I get they are more or less identical. The good thing with Ditto is that you keep all royalties, own the music and that it is simple. You also get access to every streaming platform / store.

I think you should consider getting your own ISRC codes (International Standard Recording Code). All the agrigators will provide this for you. However, if you want to own your music 100 %, this is the way to go. Maybe this is a step to far, I am a bit paranoid about these kind of things, it's just food for thought.

Another thing, I have always preferred bandcamp. I do not really like Spotify or any other streaming service. They make huge amount of money but give very little back. People don't listen on bandcamp tho (it seems...). So now I release on both. First on bandcamp, then on spotify etc. Soundcloud is like a demo-plattform :)

Good luck!
A new track for your enjoyment

tIB
Stainer!

Post by tIB » Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:49 pm

Thanks folks. I have huge reservations about Spotify, iTunes and the rest but I suppose I'm working out whether it should stop me releasing there or if I just need to move with the times to some degree. I certainly like the bandcamp model, but unless you're a geek you perhaps aren't listening there? Here's something to be said for sticking to your guns though - and doing nothing is the easiest option! ISR codes... I need to read on that. Bandcamp first and the rest later seems a good compromise perhaps...

rjungemann
Ultra Wiggler

Post by rjungemann » Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:04 pm

For what it's worth, I use EmuBands, which lets you distribute to a couple dozen services for one-time fee per release. And of course Bandcamp.
My modular (ModularGrid). Check out my new synth-pop album, Umbram.

listentoaheartbeat
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by listentoaheartbeat » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:49 pm

We originally signed up with Distrokid to get on Spotify, however their submission rules were super restrictive in terms of how to set up and name releases. We would not have been able to use correct artist and release names (which include special capitalization), nor have our VA split singles displayed as we wanted. Support was good though, and we got reimbursed once it was clear their service did not meet our requirements. Finally, we went with Cygnus Music who have much better forms and services for submission, and offer great support as well. Highly recommended!

tIB
Stainer!

Post by tIB » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:02 am

Had a quick look at Cygnus - from what I could glean it looks better for a lable handling multiple artists? I'm just looking at possibly getting some of my own output on a wider range of listening spaces. I couldn't find a price on their site either?

naturligfunktion
Veteran Wiggler

Post by naturligfunktion » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:45 am

tIB wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:49 pm
Thanks folks. I have huge reservations about Spotify, iTunes and the rest but I suppose I'm working out whether it should stop me releasing there or if I just need to move with the times to some degree. I certainly like the bandcamp model, but unless you're a geek you perhaps aren't listening there? Here's something to be said for sticking to your guns though - and doing nothing is the easiest option! ISR codes... I need to read on that. Bandcamp first and the rest later seems a good compromise perhaps...
I just want to say, it feels really nice to que my own music on Spotify :)

I think you should give it a go! Start with one release, if it feels good, continue. If it doesn't, stay with the bandcamp.
A new track for your enjoyment

Return to “Production Techniques”