making cd package DIY

Discuss everything related to production, recording, composition, etc.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

rec.Koner
Veteran Wiggler

making cd package DIY

Post by rec.Koner » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:04 am

Any advice / example / thoughts on how to make DIY cd package, something that would might be just 5 copies at max, so you can spend much time on each :hmm:

I looked for some YouTube videos where people show how they craft, but still haven't chosen method and looking to gather more info / inspiration.

Totally handmade i'd like to, so "NO" to plastic cd tray parts :)

So, i'd love to make something either similar to digipak variations, or maybe smth not conventional. One cd, i think, so it might be sleeve or other method to keep it. But i'd also like to have a place for multipage booklet as well.

I could not find the optimal paper... in vids they always use some heavyweight paper but i only ever could get paper that is more thin that what's used in packaging... (paper that art students use in artschool is thicker than paper for printer but thinner than what i saw on diy cd examples) and for cardboard i only always find in shops brown cardboard (i think boxes are made with it) which, i suppose, is corrugated or smth. So i don't think it would be nice attempt to use such thick one, at least for multipanel digipak-like... while paper is not thick enough, even photopaper or artschool paper, looks thinner than what i see in cd package.

On a side note, in some video they used some blunt tool to make lines of folding, but hey i cant find that "blunt pizza cut" thing, lol, i guess i ll need just to press hard with stylus or something to make those lines to which you fold...

Glue, though, interesting. Would you use:
- Scotch glue
- Moment super glue
- Twosided duct tape

to glue all those parts together?

And as i dont have a3 printer, i ll have to mess around things cutted from a4 lists if i wanna combine printed text/visuals with handwritten stuff...

I also found some scrapbooking paper thing which feels like clothes/tissue, might combine it for more texture..

Ok, sorry for this unstructured mess of questions and thoughts, but would love to hear your experience. Once again, i don't talk about solution to make 50/100/500 copies like most indiependant musician do with help of specific boutiques, i talk about doing totally manual package for your album, cutting out and glueing everything (and not using special things and premade stuff kind of)
wow.. we're sky high.. that shark we just jumped over is tiny.. we're so high right now (c) found on gearslutz

my page

Man-In-A-Suitcase

Re: making cd package DIY

Post by Man-In-A-Suitcase » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:46 am

Last edited by Man-In-A-Suitcase on Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rec.Koner
Veteran Wiggler

Post by rec.Koner » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:14 am

Thanks for specific data on measurement examples, appreciated :hail:

Well, "single card wallet" seems good option if you wanna bring some CDs of you to give away at gigs, but if you're making gift to your brother or best friend or something, would like to spend more time crafting i suppose :hmm:
wow.. we're sky high.. that shark we just jumped over is tiny.. we're so high right now (c) found on gearslutz

my page

Man-In-A-Suitcase

Post by Man-In-A-Suitcase » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:39 am

Last edited by Man-In-A-Suitcase on Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Muzone
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Muzone » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:44 am

You can buy eco digipak trays for £0.40 (plus VAT) for singles or cheaper for multiples, I have used them in DIY sleeves and they work fine

https://www.retrostylemedia.co.uk/produ ... s-and-cork

rec.Koner
Veteran Wiggler

Post by rec.Koner » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:59 pm

Toyed around a bit for prototype version :rastanana:

Don't judge too harsh :whistle:

*last two pics show protective cardboard which i put around my sleeve package and then use plastic wrap to hold all together :doh:
so it's disposable protection while package itself is more or less fragile.

my page

GGW
Veteran Wiggler

Post by GGW » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:40 pm

I've made several CD case projects with this type of paper folding method. With a bit of planning, you can get printing on it as well:

https://removeandreplace.com/2013/10/08 ... -easy-diy/

rec.Koner
Veteran Wiggler

Post by rec.Koner » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:19 am

GGW wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:40 pm
I've made several CD case projects with this type of paper folding method. With a bit of planning, you can get printing on it as well:

https://removeandreplace.com/2013/10/08 ... -easy-diy/

Thanks, but can't visit site:

"Access from your Country was disabled by the administrator."

my page

Return to “Production Techniques”