Give me your best sequencing tricks for inspiration

Discuss everything related to production, recording, composition, etc.

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

acidbob
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Give me your best sequencing tricks for inspiration

Post by acidbob » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:48 am

Hi wigglers,

Lately I have been struggling to what feels to me "new ideas".
I think this is just a feeling and not real thing. Maybe winter darkness and depression.

Usually I start out by selecting and creating a basis for drums and after that a bassline.
When it feels right I move on to the melodic parts and fx.
Refine the drums, refine the bass etc. work back and forth to get it just right.

I have been trying to shift it, so that I make the melodies first and so on...
Somtimes it works. But I feel like it has to fit together like a hand in a glove - sort of.

So I was wondering if you have some neat sequencing ideas, something to come up with longer sequences that can be repeated for some time without sounding boring or annoying.

I usually copy one pattern over to the next and change it a bit, tried running pendulum on my sequencers and different clock div. etc.
Maybe the thing is that I should try using an actual keyboard for my Polyend Seq. Or the A4/Digitone

Maybe the thing is that I dont let the creativity flow as much as I used to, and maybe I need to focus on note lenght, volume of each note, legato and some CC. Instead of just jumping the gun and ditch ideas?

For me, I can feel when something is going to work out, it's just a feeling that is like, aaaah I can work with this and boom!

Mind you, I rarely just jam, I am working with parts of a to be track. One could say, it's kind of traditional work structure.
Of course some jamming is involved to get ideas, as I dont have any clue about traditional music theory. None at all!

I dont work in a DAW, DAW is just for recording and FX.

Do you have any neat tricks? Something simple that I can apply to spice things up?
What is your workflow on producing tracks with parts and structures?
How do you usually start and what is your main focus to make the parts fit together.

And most importantly, what is your way of coming up with interesting sequences?

Here is one track that I kind of like that is also recent

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Give me your best sequencing tricks for inspiration

Post by lisa » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:37 am

I usually go for short sequences, four notes or something like that, and then trigger the sequence with a rhythm that takes some time to line up with the four note sequence again, like a nine step five hits euclidean thing. Then I modulate loads of aspects of the melodic sound. This recipe results in sort of strict but still sort of evolving sequences. Nice, imo. 🙂

What it sounds like:

acidbob
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by acidbob » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:37 am

Thank you for the feedback 8-)

Definetely a good idea not to start too complex and let things evolve, I will give that a try.
I think maybe my OCD isnt to good with euclidean stuff, but never hurts trying and I have used it before in some cases, but it kind of have to not be to filled with other sounds for it to really work and not get too messy - maybe...

StillNotWorking
Wiggling with Experience

Post by StillNotWorking » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:40 pm

Seperate pitch and gates to different modules helped me lot.

Have for the longest ment to try out negative melody.

acidbob
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by acidbob » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:55 pm

That is indeed very cool.
I am not that good with scales but this should not be too hard. Thank you for this neat trick

naturligfunktion
Wiggling with Experience

Post by naturligfunktion » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:06 am

lisa wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:37 am
I usually go for short sequences, four notes or something like that, and then trigger the sequence with a rhythm that takes some time to line up with the four note sequence again, like a nine step five hits euclidean thing. Then I modulate loads of aspects of the melodic sound. This recipe results in sort of strict but still sort of evolving sequences. Nice, imo. 🙂
I agree with this 100 %.

If you want a sequence to go on for a long period of time, without getting boring, it is best to make it very simple. Small variations will over time lead to bigger changes.

Personally I build my tracks from two sequencers that drive everything. One is usally 8 steps and the second is something else (5 tend to work fine and also 12). From those two sequencers I then trigger loads of different stuff, all of which also follow the original concept of the song (e.g. 5 to 8).

I draw a lot of inspiration from Steevio, this video in particular:

Be advised, my rack is way smaller than his, but the basic concept of making interesting sequences is the same

sierraoskar
Learning to Wiggle

Post by sierraoskar » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:30 am

How about putting a few different sequences of the same length (or different, depending) into a sequential switch that you then step through at a regular interval?

Another possibility is for my main sequencer (Tesseract Step Fader), I have two parallel sequences - I use one to modify the step length of the other, and can also mix the sequences together to give me repeated transposition and stuff like that.

electricanada
Ultra Wiggler

Post by electricanada » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:51 am

StillNotWorking wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:40 pm

He’s invented a new name for inversion—a really basic compositional technique. Just run your sequence through an attenuverter turned all the way left and you have it.
Eléctrica (electric) Nāda (the yoga of sound).

StillNotWorking
Wiggling with Experience

Post by StillNotWorking » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:07 am

electricanada wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:51 am
StillNotWorking wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:40 pm

He’s invented a new name for inversion—a really basic compositional technique. Just run your sequence through an attenuverter turned all the way left and you have it.
Of course, so simple :guinness: :) Inverting the voltage preserve exact same intervals, — just oppesite. :doh:

Thanks!

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack » Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:45 pm

I can start from different points like an audio loop sequenced to a specific number of bars, a short sequence of a single sound or some chords played and then put together as a 4 or 8 bars loop. From there I start to add other sounds/tracks in various lengths. Sure there's always the search for guiding sounds like a snare, hh or bd to help me understand the thing and to somehow fix an overall impression. Then there's the classic fill in part where a bassline or some atmosphere or a hook is to put to help building the narrative and obviously the noodling around part where freeform creation is the thing.

Working the sounds with effects is also a big part of the composition - the bass can turn into a pad or a percussive track may get very important after you applied a certain amount of reverb and take over the lead from there on.

In my world feelings as real as it gets even if there's no objective reason for them.

Return to “Production Techniques”