Zoom R16 - How to record the send return effect live?

Discuss everything related to production, recording, composition, etc.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

voltear
Learning to Wiggle

Zoom R16 - How to record the send return effect live?

Post by voltear » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:59 am

Would someone please tell me, on the Zoom R16, how do you record the 'send return' effect directly without having to first record a track then go through the mixdown / master process?

I would like to immediately record a synth to a stereo track using an insert effect, which I can do, but also with the wet reverb and a second delay send return effect.

I've spent hours trying to figure this out by reading the manual, exploring every menu and googling endlessly but I'm lost. In fact I think it can't be done but I just find that a bit hard to believe.

leeski
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Zoom R16 - How to record the send return effect live?

Post by leeski » Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:38 am

you've inserted the synth channel so that is how it gonna be....
Synth + Inserted FX = channel 1&2
Wet Reverb = channel 3&4
Wet delay = Channel 4&5
«:::A:::» «:::W:::» «:::E:::» «:::S:::» «:::O:::» «:::M:::» «:::E:::»

voltear
Learning to Wiggle

Post by voltear » Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:37 pm

Thanks leeski, but I'm afraid that makes no sense to me; you'll need to be way more explicit.

leeski
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by leeski » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:04 pm

When you insert on a mixer it usually compressors or eq, these will be permanently on that channel. So you can't record them separate.
I think thats right.
Any way good luck with it.

Mr_Sulcus
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Mr_Sulcus » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:43 pm

As I understand it, you can't record like that because the send/return buses are virtual channels into the master, and the R16 doesn't allow recording to the master track and the individual tracks (including these virtual ones) simultaneously. This was possible on the R8 and I suspect is possible on the R24 as they seem to combine the best of the smaller models.

It was a shock to me that it works this way as I was used to the 8 as a live recorder/tape bank, but needed more inputs.

leeski
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by leeski » Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:57 am

:oops: :yay:

Bob998
1-Post Wiggler

Post by Bob998 » Tue May 26, 2020 8:12 am

As others have said, the send and return only work on the master track, but there is a bodge/work-around, provided you have a computer with Audacity (say) (no doubt other audio editing software will work).

The bodge is to hard pan the tracks you want to record to the left (or the right, if you prefer, but we'll say left), turn on the green lights for just those tracks, and then record a master track.

Now connect the R16 to a computer, put it in USB <CARD READER mode and use the computer to drag the MASTR000.WAV file from the PROJxxx/AUDIO folder onto your computer.

In Audacity, split it into two separate mono tracks, delete the right track (which should be just about silence) and save the left track as a named WAV file. Give it a suitable name, limited to 8 characters + .WAV. Copy this back into the AUDIO folder on the R16, and put the R16 back into normal operating mode. Finally, assign the new .WAV file to a track by pressing [PROJECT], selecting >FILE, pressing the [PLAY/MUTE/REC] button for the track, and then selecting the desired file using the jog-wheel.

It's a pain, but if it's what you really need to get out of a hole, then there you have it.

Good luck

Bob

Return to “Production Techniques”