The Joys of Producing Rap Beats

Discuss everything related to production, recording, composition, etc.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

BailyDread
Wiggling with Experience

The Joys of Producing Rap Beats

Post by BailyDread » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:04 pm

Hi everyone,

This is a thread to encourage everyone here to try their hand at making rap beats, especially when you've run into blocks in producing your real/serious art (not that beats can't be serious art, but you get what I mean). I've recently gotten back into it after many years away, and I'm delighted by just how much fun it is. That production move you'd never make b/c it's too cliche? Make it! That synth sound you'd never use because it's almost comical? Dial the humor up to 300% and let rip! The sky is the limit. It's a blast, and when you go back to your native genre, you'll find you have many new ideas and a sense of creative freedom you might not have had before.

I'll upload a beat I did recently soon as soon as I put a bunch of tags in it ("if young metro don't trust you...", "mike will made it" etc.). That way, if someone steals it and gets millions of plays on their meme rap song, I can recoup later :hihi:

Cheers 8-)

Technologear?
Wiggling with Experience

Re: The Joys of Producing Rap Beats

Post by Technologear? » Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:55 pm

Hi BD
Once I understood how to do trap style hats on my digitakt using per step p locks, I abused that function like my first copy of pauls boutique on cassette. Went way over board with it so can't share, but don't care - it was fun!

My tip: turn off quantise for 64 step live pass. Start real rough and don't shift it all back on the grid much.

I learnt a lot from the Nflix series Hip-hop Underground. Fantastic series with a deep respect for it all.

Your comment about "almost comical" reminded me of the cartoonish sound effect in Ginuwine Pony, that sounds like it was ripped straight from a hanna barbara 80s fx sound library that came as a bonus sound set in a rompler. The rest of that beat is so deep, Timbaland must have thought 'i gotta lighten this up a bit to keep from crushn ppl'.

ZargZorg
Common Wiggler

Re: The Joys of Producing Rap Beats

Post by ZargZorg » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:29 pm

I do a lot of stream of thought rap like production that I end up using as the basis for a bunch of sonic narratives.
The n1 thing about the genre I think is it's natural ability to quickly form entire sections of music without the worry for the "wrong" sound design and to provide a very solid base for whatever we want to put on top.

Return to “Production Techniques”