Track Alignment with an SD Recorder w/o MIDI

Discuss everything related to production, recording, composition, etc.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

r05c03
Ultra Wiggler

Track Alignment with an SD Recorder w/o MIDI

Post by r05c03 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:12 pm

Okay, so say that I have something like a Tascam DP-24 SD that does not have MIDI in/out (So can’t be synced) and I want to record several tracks of persuasion, one at a time, coming out of a drum machine with only stereo outs. How would I go about getting the recorder to start and stop so that these tracks were lined up relative with each other.
Gear List: Elektron Octatrack, Elektron A4,Microbrute, Bass Station, Rings Braids, Pitts Ring Mod, Pitts Osc, Echophon, Intillegel uFold / uMIDI, PNW2, Doepfer 138-c, 119, Tiptop Z4000, Maleko Fade / 8NU8R

r05c03
Ultra Wiggler

Re: Track Alignment with an SD Recorder w/o MIDI

Post by r05c03 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:17 am

Seriously, if one was to use a Tascam DP-24, which has MIDI, you’d be able to start and stop the recorder and the sequencers, drum machines all at the same time. However the Tascam DP-24 SD, does not have MIDI, so if I was recording multiple tracks, one at a time from a drum machine, how would one get the tracks to line up aside from starting recording and the sequencers at the exact correct time? In my experience, this leads to annoyingly, just ever so slightly mis-timed tracks.
Gear List: Elektron Octatrack, Elektron A4,Microbrute, Bass Station, Rings Braids, Pitts Ring Mod, Pitts Osc, Echophon, Intillegel uFold / uMIDI, PNW2, Doepfer 138-c, 119, Tiptop Z4000, Maleko Fade / 8NU8R

Return to “Production Techniques”