Phaedra synthesis

Discuss everything related to production, recording, composition, etc.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

welhamc
Common Wiggler

Phaedra synthesis

Post by welhamc » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:29 am

I have recently discovered TD (I know) and have been thoroughly rinsing through their discography over the last few weeks

One of the sounds that keeps coming back to me is the early lead in Phaedra ( around 3:40 in) and was thinking about the process in the sound design for this

It sounds like some detuned saws with some subtle pitch fluctuation, low passed with some obvious phasing/flanging/filter modulation with some added resonance...

How would you go about recreating this lead?

Michael O.
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Phaedra synthesis

Post by Michael O. » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:08 pm

Oh wow, haven’t heard this album in ages.

Assuming I’m identifying the correct sound: I don’t think that’s a synthesizer at all, but rather a mellotron (using the standard old strings sound/tape) through that particular phaser that the Germans loved so much in the ‘70s. Maybe there’s a bit of band-pass filtering, but I think that’s probably just the sound of the very deep phasing. Also a bit of tape echo.

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:46 am

Found this on a Google... "Tangerine Dream, whose trademark 'whoosh' was created by playing a Mellotron through a hand‑built German phaser called the Gert Schulte Audio Elektronik Compact Phasing 'A'."

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/mo ... ock-phaser

welhamc
Common Wiggler

Post by welhamc » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:43 am

Ah thanks for that - I'm guessing it would be best to get some strings samples into my Akai sampler then and go from there. I probably could not afford a mellotron...

In terms of trying to recreate some of these mellotron sounds with synthesis, where would be a good place to start?

jfloftin
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jfloftin » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:15 pm

I actually have the clone board that Jurgun Haible made back about 10 years ago. I just haven't built it yet...

welhamc
Common Wiggler

Post by welhamc » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:19 pm

Are you talking about this? http://randomsource.net/haible/krautrock

I'm tempted to build one in 5u...

jfloftin
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jfloftin » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:24 pm

Yes. But I have an original one with the resistors for the light bulbs included.

Michael O.
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Michael O. » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:05 pm

cptnal wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:46 am
Found this on a Google... "Tangerine Dream, whose trademark 'whoosh' was created by playing a Mellotron through a hand‑built German phaser called the Gert Schulte Audio Elektronik Compact Phasing 'A'."

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/mo ... ock-phaser
I guess I was right on the money, and no wonder I couldn’t remember the phaser’s name, that’s a mouthful lol.

Welham: It wouldn’t be the most difficult sound to recreate via synthesis, but the Akai sampler would be ideal- the mellotron is after all essentially a polyphonic and chromatic tape-based sampler. I’d look for the mellotron string loop itself (or a wav of it, rather), which shouldn’t be hard to find.

Illwiggle
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Illwiggle » Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:09 am

The Mel9 pedal by Electro-Harmonix is a pretty awesome poor-man’s Mellotron. Around $200 new. So far Ive run my Rhodes piano thru it & some e. guitar & I must say its pretty sick... i think theres 9 ‘classic’ Mellotron sounds you get, & they all sounds pretty darn on-point... for $200 you cant go wrong.. The Orchestra sound alone is worth it, King Crimson all day..... you can get lost for hours, one of the coolest pedals ever made
Last edited by Illwiggle on Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Illwiggle
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Illwiggle » Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:13 am

Dupe

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:48 pm

You can make a good Mellotron with the SpakFun/Robertsonics Wave Trigger PCB ($51) and some extra parts (to add MIDI). Here is a demo video. It doesn't need to stay a Mellotron either. The PCB plays back CD quality stereo sounds, 8 at a time (in banks of 16), as long as you can fit on the SD card. Here is a video about it - the mellotron bit is at the end.

If you want more, look at the next generation, the Tsunami (which is used in the Tesseract Nutella Eurorack module). Eight channels of out and up to 16 tracks playable at once.
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

umma gumma
Veteran Wiggler

Post by umma gumma » Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:21 pm

THAT is cool!!

Return to “Production Techniques”