Collaborative video/audio live streaming?

Discuss everything related to production, recording, composition, etc.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Nezimax
Learning to Wiggle

Collaborative video/audio live streaming?

Post by Nezimax » Fri May 08, 2020 6:27 pm

Greetings everyone,

I am trying to find a way to do a collaborative live stream with some local artists in my area. More specifically I am looking for a way to have the audio played from my eurorack at my location while someone else creates visuals from their location. What would be the best way to sync up audio and video from two different locations on a single stream? I'm aware there may be some latency between the audio on my end and the video on the other end but we are willing to work with what we have. Any ideas on how to approach this? Thanks!

BenA718
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Collaborative video/audio live streaming?

Post by BenA718 » Sat May 09, 2020 8:03 am

FaceTime/Zoom for video and Audiomovers for audio is how I have been working and it’s been great.

Nezimax
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Nezimax » Sat May 09, 2020 12:54 pm

BenA718 wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 8:03 am
FaceTime/Zoom for video and Audiomovers for audio is how I have been working and it’s been great.
Thanks for sharing! Audiomovers looks very promising for what we are trying to accomplish. Any specific reason you chose facetime/zoom over youtube or twitch for example? Or is it just a personal preference?

BenA718
Veteran Wiggler

Post by BenA718 » Sat May 09, 2020 6:47 pm

Yup, purely personal preference. Audiomovers is fantastic, btw.

Nezimax
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Nezimax » Mon May 11, 2020 2:52 pm

BenA718 wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 6:47 pm
Yup, purely personal preference. Audiomovers is fantastic, btw.
Been playing around with Audiomovers, and I agree its fantastic. Just what I was looking for.

BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BananaPlug » Wed May 13, 2020 9:13 am

Very much want to get some online jamming solution. Is there any kind of getting started guide to this? The website leaves me with lots of questions.

Do I need these? "Pro Tools 12,2019,2020 Cubase 9.5-10.5, Ableton Live 9.5/10"

Beginning the search... YouTubes etc.

BenA718
Veteran Wiggler

Post by BenA718 » Wed May 13, 2020 2:43 pm

For Audiomovers? It's a plugin that you put at the end of your DAW's chain, on the 2-bus. It creates a URL that the client uses to listen. There is also a listen plugin. It's very intuitive to use.

BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BananaPlug » Wed May 13, 2020 4:26 pm

Somebody pointed out Bandlab. Anyone know it?
Never mind. I think that person misunderstood the intention.

wuff_miggler
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wuff_miggler » Wed May 13, 2020 4:30 pm

i wonder if technically you could program the bitstream to reduce bitrate dynamically at the end of bars (to the shared clock) - then filter out the artifacts on both side client side - to give (less) latency. Im sure some genius has tried this (hopefully).

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack » Sun May 17, 2020 1:33 am

Are there other audio streaming apps around that are on buy and not subscribtion like Audiomovers?
> WTB ADDAC502 <

www.stefanrudin.bandcamp.com / www.soundcloud.com/stefan_rudin / www.youtube.com/user/slumberknut

Carefully crafted dj set meandering between deep house, minimal and electro.

Nezimax
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Nezimax » Fri May 22, 2020 8:00 pm

Tried doing a live stream with some other people today and ran into some issues processing the audio from Audiomovers. The sound from the audio movers URL was being sent to OBS then streamed to youtube with some live visuals. The video came out clear but the audio was "stuttering" i.e. repetitive drop outs. We tried lowering the video bit rate and reducing the audio quality but the issue still remains. I'm speculating the issue is within the settings of OBS but I could be wrong. Just seems weird that the audio is the issue and not the video considering how much more bandwidth video takes up. Anyone familiar with OBS have any thoughts on troubleshooting?

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack » Sat May 23, 2020 12:34 am

Nezimax wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 8:00 pm
Tried doing a live stream with some other people today and ran into some issues processing the audio from Audiomovers. The sound from the audio movers URL was being sent to OBS then streamed to youtube with some live visuals. The video came out clear but the audio was "stuttering" i.e. repetitive drop outs. We tried lowering the video bit rate and reducing the audio quality but the issue still remains. I'm speculating the issue is within the settings of OBS but I could be wrong. Just seems weird that the audio is the issue and not the video considering how much more bandwidth video takes up. Anyone familiar with OBS have any thoughts on troubleshooting?
We got a way to heavy trailer and it behaves like this: The video is flawless but the audio is glitching. So my conclusion would be that OBS has a priority the show the video an therefor is cutting the audio. Try to lower the video quality and see what happens.
> WTB ADDAC502 <

www.stefanrudin.bandcamp.com / www.soundcloud.com/stefan_rudin / www.youtube.com/user/slumberknut

Carefully crafted dj set meandering between deep house, minimal and electro.

Return to “Production Techniques”