What VST-FX, end of chain, for the modular ?

Discuss everything related to production, recording, composition, etc.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

What VST-FX, end of chain, for the modular ?

Post by Funky40 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:58 pm

i´m setting up a macbook as a Hardware FX box.
it has to serve for my modular as a end of chain FX box.
i will be able to go multi channel in and mix there ( in 1-2 months at least/ with some stretch allready now)
but i might mostoften send only one or two stereo signals in.

What type of FX would be your choice, end of chain for your modular signals ?

i think saturation* would be a major one !.....* and anything related
and in fact the one i´m mostly interested to hear what VST/AUs you would take. (and the reason for this post )
Any tips or must haves on this ?

Saturation do i have several of the good ones from plugin alliance plus also the decapitator from soundtoys,
any other i should check..........or any must haves ?
I also have "Dent" from unfiltered audio.
.....but so far, was nothing ever tested or used with my modular

optional:
The other interesting ones: "colouring Compression" and "colouring EQs".
I have nothing in the colouring vein so far.
my gotos so far: Fabfilter EQ / ZIP from unfiltered audio as a "creative + universal compressor"

not really any questions left vs.:
reverbs / delays / creative FX / ...........since i have plenty and really good ones

any thoughts what else to check ?
has anybody a tip for a better place to surf euro modular ??
serious request !! please PM me

Kattefjaes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: What VST-FX, end of chain, for the modular ?

Post by Kattefjaes » Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:50 pm

Use fewer ellipses and mash return less (for the love of God). Record multitrack. Mix in your DAW and try different things as you go.

ATW
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ATW » Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:59 pm

Valhalla DSP is glorious.
ᴍᴏᴅᴜʟᴀʀ ɢʀɪᴅ ⟡ 6U 104 (x2), Palette + Pod ⟡ ᴍᴜsɪᴄ ATW on SoundCloud

midifail
Learning to Wiggle

Post by midifail » Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:43 pm

for saturation kazrog true iron is awesome. voxengo span to keep the frequency balance in check

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:44 pm

Saturation: Wavesfactory Spectre, Wavesfactory Casette, NI Supercharger GT, XLN RC-20 Retro Color

EQ: CraveEQ, u-he Uhbik-Q, SurferEQ. Also Voxengo TEOTE, an automated multiband dynamics plugin that cleans up resonances and generally makes everything sound better

Compressors: DDMF MagicDeathEye, NI Solid Bus Comp, NI Supercharger GT, and for weirdness Plogue Chipcrusher

Limiter: Voxengo Elephant

Delays: Valhalla Delay is king. Audio Damage Ratshack Reverb, and for glitchy weirdness Sonic Charge Permut8

Reverbs: all the Valhalla ones but I use Plate and Supermassive the most. AudioThing Fog Convolver.

Metering: Voxengo Span and Correlometer, Youlean Loudness Meter, Melda MAnalyzer and MOscilloscope

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:09 am

Much Thanks, i ............just downloaded several Demos ( beeing on a new M1mac, is not everything running)

midifail wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:43 pm
for saturation kazrog true iron is awesome. voxengo span to keep the frequency balance in check
ahhh, thats one of the ones i bookmarked allready this year.

will be interesting to see if such "saturation" Tools do work with (my) modular signals.
i´m really much interested on that aspect of "forming" modularsounds further

sonic charge is unfortunately NOT running on apple silicon macs

IEC
Wiggling with Experience

Post by IEC » Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:32 pm

I am a big fan of the fabfilter plugs, i use all the typical one (eq, compress, verb, delay, saturate, gate, filter, limit) to my ear they are very clean/transparent/surgical which tends to keep all the character of the recording... it just makes it better in whatever way you need. they are also really nicely laid out and easy/fast/intuitive to use which i think is important when doing this type of stuff to keep the vibe going while you work... since you already have the EQ I would suggest trying out the saturation one (saturn 2) they have recently updated it and its pretty great at giving a recording that "something" that makes it all sit or blend better

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:12 pm

agree on fabfilter. i have several ones, but not the saturn/saturation.

So far, i bought kazrog true iron, which seems to be great, and am checking wavesfactory spectre which i might take later.
i like the idea of just colouring some very narrow frequenzy sections or doing other experiments with it.

for reverbs do i personally prefer the liquidsonics ones btw.. mainly 7th heaven.
thats a good tip. not only since it sounds good, but also for its ease of use.

johny_gtr
Ultra Wiggler

Post by johny_gtr » Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:37 pm

I try to spend minimum time with DAW but some plugins are great for pre-mixing:
1) Graphic EQ like FabFilter EQ or other. It's really good for LPF/HPF for some parts. Like to remove extra low that we don't hear/feel, remove lows from tracks that don't need these frequencies. Sometimes to remove some harsh frequencies or to add.
2) I don't think that adding colorful EQ, Comps like Pultec, Neve, UA LA2A at the end of chain will be great at the recording stage because you can add/remove it later.
3) I wasn't fan of any VSTreverbs until I understand that most of my mixes (even ambient/drone) are so muddy because of many reverbs (even they are highly eq'ed during recording). I divide my work with reverbs in two parts: record some tracks with reverbs and have the reverb with on hands control - like OTO Bam and have some reverbs that can be added on the mixing stage. A plus - you can add any reverb and remove it later with plugins. I have axe-fx II and found their reverbs as great. Fas provide their Reverbs as a plugin. I can recommend it (and maybe they will release a new version of it someday). They are really open and natural (in comparison with BAM which reverb is very colorful and ready for a new Vangelis or gold-era techno music).
4) best 150$ I spend on plugins was puremix annual access. They shared a lot of basic information that I don't know. It helps me a lot to understand better and I try to have a new material to use new knowledge.
5) I don't think there is a lack of saturators in a modular world but some plugins from Klanghelm and worth to look (and it's price is very good). Soundtoys Siemens clone EQ is also great but I still want to have it in hardware (don't know why)
modular percussion and scapes - http://ovod.bandcamp.com
mu modular space electronica https://7k-ok.bandcamp.com

blacklight
Common Wiggler

Post by blacklight » Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:02 pm

I don't have much to add as I think most things have been covered. Anything from Fabfilter will do magic on whatever source, ProQ3 is a magic choice. For creative dynamics I would definitely recommend most compressors that Plugin Alliance sells, The townhouse compressor is a really nice rendition on the whole SSL bus compressor thing. Otherwise, I highly recommend any form of multi-band Gating or Transient shaping. izotope neutron 3 does a great job at both, but Nvelop by Elysia is also a great option. I found that multiband transient shaping can be super helpful in turning dull "linear" percussive material into something with a bit more character... Imagine just running noise through it, you can make the low mids more sustained and the highs more snappy, and you already have something that's super interesting compared to just AD-enveloped white noise. MB-Gating might be better for more static sources; I found that MB transient shaping tends to respond well even to dynamically and tonally variant material.

Also if you want to forgo the DAW, you could build your own multi-track custom FX unit on a platform like Reaktor, Max MSP, or Pure-data. You can then either stream that signal to your daw or just record it directly from there. I've had a lot of fun with creating interactions between software patches and my hardware modular!
Experimental musician, Mastering engineer, lover of sine waves.

My Bandcamp - My Modular Setup - My Twitter - My Instagram

I love Mastering boundary-pushing music and I'm always excited to help musicians get their music heard. For Mastering please get in touch via my website.

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:05 pm

one thing to mention again, this here has NOTHING to do with DAW or any production work at all ;)
i don´t DAW so far ;)
i also don´t produce ;)

blacklight wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:02 pm
Also if you want to forgo the DAW, you could build your own multi-track custom FX unit
vs.the bold part: thats what this thread is about !
i´m just doing this by using common VST FX. ;)

i have not the skills nor the time or the nervs to learn to do everything.
so NO reaktor programming etc. for me, unfortunately.

yeah, the multiband gating thing is a big topic for me !
i was not aware that the Izotope Neutron is also such thing.
i use the fabfilter EQ . I real really need to learn to do the sidechain per band thing !
this will be very powerful for modular percussive grooves for shure

I just started to use my new macbook air M1 for that task yesterday !
So things are coming together now..........

where my modular VST-FX setup falls apart right now:
it ALL stands and falls with the acess from dedicated Hardware controllers !!
so i just could use one Controller ( Novation launch contril Xl) for now.
while all my patches i´ve donne on the other computer are based on using two such LC-XL controllers.
so thats all still a work in progress. But ist coming............

its not really working out to reprogramm patches just for my modular. its to timeconsuming.
also is it not good to follow another mapping strategie for controllers,
thats definitly a first observation, which is no surprise finally.

stk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by stk » Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:01 pm

U-He Presswerk (dynamics control)
Brainworx BX Console N (saturation, filtering, compression, EQ)
Elysia Karakter (saturation)

That's my end of chain processing for modular. Add a bit of Valhalla Vintage Verb on a send, blend to taste.

Return to “Production Techniques”