Are there some alternative music theories that can be read in english?
I know that Stockhausen wrote his own theory but his theory suggests that you know western music theory very good.
So, is here some bizarre theory which doesn't connect with all that notations and scales?
Maybe some crazy big book of timbral music thoughts and rules
Or smth in spirit of musique concrete stuff?
As promised, let's list all mentioned things...
Not always "alternative" but useful
- Arnold Schoenberg - "Theory of Harmony"
- Curtis Road - "Microsound"
- Dane Rudhyar - " Dissonant Harmony"
- Dane Rudhyar - "The New Sense of Sound"
- Dane Rudhyar - "The Magic of Tone and the Art of Music"
- Denis Smalley - different Spectromorphology articles
- Dmitri Tymoczko - "The Geometry of Musical Chords"
- Dmitri Tymoczko - "Generalized Voice-Leading Spaces"
- Erv Wilson - http://www.thesonicsky.com/
- Harry Partch - "Genesis of a Music"
- Joanna Demers - "Listening through the Noise: The Aesthetics of Experimental Electronic Music"
- John Cage - "Silence"
- Joseph Schillingeк - "Schillinger System of Musical Composition"
- Trevor Wishart - "On Sonic Art"
- Olivier Messiaen - "La technique de mon langage musical"
- Olivier Messiaen - "TraitÃƒÂ© de rythme, de couleur, et d' ornithologie"
- Pierre Schaeffer - "solfÃƒÂ¨ge des objets sonores"
- Pierre Shaeffer - "Programme de la Recherche Musicale"
- Richard Kostelanetz - "Conversing with Cage"
- Sir James H. Jeans - "Sicence and Music"
- Xenaxis' and Stockhausen's works
- Also, http://www.koenigproject.nl/texte.htm
Also, Wigglers' own theories:
(Tell me if i made smth wrong or you wanna be on the list)
- Zoe Blade's "Treatise On Music"
- lilakmonoke's one, existing in thoughts and sounds
Feel free to contribute!