Favorite ways to warm up your digital tracks?

Discuss everything related to production, recording, composition, etc.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

stk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by stk » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:43 pm

Updating my post of a year or so ago. New album, new tricks.
I'm basically 90% in the box and have found that with a little practice and insight, very smooth/warm/"analogue"ish and otherwise vibey tones are perfectly achievable with plugins. In fact, not having a rich man's budget I would wager that at this price point better results are possible with half decent plugins than the low end hardware alternatives (of the ART, Behringer, Mackie etc variety).

Important point: there is not instant solution, this kind of colour is applied gradually, in stages, like coats of thin laquer, for a cumulative affect.

extra testicle
Wiggling with Experience

Post by extra testicle » Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:40 pm

for me "warmth" is mostly about making a space for everything and positioning it, so it feels real. to me, a modern "cold" mix sound isn't so much just about more high end it's that every frequency is filled pretty evenly and the worst stuff sounds like a song that is just collection of frequencies laying there like a dead fish rather than tracks that come together to make a body that lives in a space.

older stuff i think can sound warmer mostly because it forced people to make frequency and spacial positioning choices, like you want to cut the highs of everything except what's important so hiss won't build up, you want to pan things otherwise you can't make them fit together clearly and with definition. they were often using live band thinking where it would sound unnatural if everything was center. if you're doing mono, dynamics and frequency choices are even more important.

with purely electronic sounds you don't have to do left/right/center like you might for guitar/bass/vocals or whatever, but i find that means you have to work more about where it should be.

i like shit like analog eqs because they let me boost lazily without worrying about nasty clipping, and imo cheap stuff from the 80s is nice if you have the space, but the big warmth i get from a mixer is that i can lazily position stuff as i'm composing and recording. i don't find it matters so much what you use.

it is something i kinda have to do at the recording/composing stage, not mixing tho. same thing if i'm using tape or micing something up. i'm going to do it first because that matters as much to the sound as anything. mixing for me is basically if i feel like playing the faders and mutes and shit. probably comes from doing tracks on the mpc for so long.

it's like what i enjoy about computers is that they make (re)routing and (re)recording (if need be) so easy and fast i have no reason not to commit right away. i guess for me, it's mostly a case of if the sound isn't working, the song isn't working.

i also find it fun to make subtle treatments for each sound and give it it's own personality, but again that's totally part of the composition process.

oh and i really find this to be the case too:
stk wrote:Important point: there is not instant solution, this kind of colour is applied gradually, in stages, like coats of thin laquer, for a cumulative affect.

Hermetech Mastering
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Hermetech Mastering » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:02 am

Saturating real, high quality transformers can often work wonders. Have ten in my chain!

Claudyknight
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Claudyknight » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:38 am

Mmmm... Transformers are magic!

basicbasic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by basicbasic » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:42 am

nuromantix wrote:I like using cassettes and I always use this technique:
EQ out all the bass and boost the treble, record HOT to cassette.
Bounce back from cassette and put the bass back. The treble doesn't ever need cutting!
That is an awesome tip, and even applies ITB (using tape emulation). Thanks!

DiscarnateEntity
Common Wiggler

Post by DiscarnateEntity » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:10 pm

For valve warmth I have a Thermionic Culture 'The Rooster' and a Gyratec XIV Parallel Passive EQ. Both units are excellent.

DiscarnateEntity
Common Wiggler

Post by DiscarnateEntity » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:00 am

I use them so much for adding analogue character that I forgot to mention them: Slate Digital's Virtual Console and Virtual Tape Machine.

I'm also using UAD's Thermionic Culture Vulture plug-in - surprisingly good for an emulation!

vytis
Veteran Wiggler

Post by vytis » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:25 pm

My secret weapons for bringing life to static digital/VST tracks are AUFX:Dub on the iPad and Variety Of Sound Nasty DLA (freeware VST). They are great at simulating tape artifacts - your VSTs jus suddenly come alive!

Hermetech Mastering
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Hermetech Mastering » Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:56 am

Hermetech Mastering wrote:Saturating real, high quality transformers can often work wonders. Have ten in my chain!
If you don't wanna roll your own transformer box (like in the Alan Farmelo article), you can check these bad boys:

http://www.analogtone.com/

They have a 1u 8 channel version in the works too!

solaris
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Location: ̋͋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̏̏ ̏ ˳̊̊̊̊̊ ˳̥̥̥̥̥̊̊̊̊̊̊̊˳̥˯Ξ̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿▂ ̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋

Post by solaris » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:22 am

Hermetech Mastering wrote:
If you don't wanna roll your own transformer box (like in the Alan Farmelo article), you can check these bad boys:

do you recommend them?
▂̵̶̵̥̤̳̤̇̈̄̅̈□ □ □ □ □ □ □ □ □ t r a n s f e k t i o n ▔▔▔▔╲▂▂▁▂▂̵̶̵̥̤̳̤̇̈̄̅̈▂▁▁
▂̵̶̵̥̤̳̤̇̈̄̅̈□ □ ▂̵̶̵̥̤̳̤̇̈̄̅̈▂̵̶̵̥̤̳̤̇̈̄̅̈▂̵̶̵̥̤̳̤̇̈̄̅̈□ ▂̵̶̵̥̤̳̤̇̈̄̅̈▔╲▂̥̥̊̊̊̊▂ ‬::.:::.h++p://z.x-xx---x.info □ □ □ □ □ □ □ □ □‬

Hermetech Mastering
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Hermetech Mastering » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:32 am

solaris wrote:

do you recommend them?
They are just high quality Cinemag transformers in an enclosure with connectors, as used in loads of high end audio gear, so whilst I haven't tried them myself, I assume that they are built well and sound good.

solaris
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Location: ̋͋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̏̏ ̏ ˳̊̊̊̊̊ ˳̥̥̥̥̥̊̊̊̊̊̊̊˳̥˯Ξ̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿▂ ̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋

Post by solaris » Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:48 pm

ok I will check them!
▂̵̶̵̥̤̳̤̇̈̄̅̈□ □ □ □ □ □ □ □ □ t r a n s f e k t i o n ▔▔▔▔╲▂▂▁▂▂̵̶̵̥̤̳̤̇̈̄̅̈▂▁▁
▂̵̶̵̥̤̳̤̇̈̄̅̈□ □ ▂̵̶̵̥̤̳̤̇̈̄̅̈▂̵̶̵̥̤̳̤̇̈̄̅̈▂̵̶̵̥̤̳̤̇̈̄̅̈□ ▂̵̶̵̥̤̳̤̇̈̄̅̈▔╲▂̥̥̊̊̊̊▂ ‬::.:::.h++p://z.x-xx---x.info □ □ □ □ □ □ □ □ □‬

oisin
Veteran Wiggler

Post by oisin » Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:38 pm

has anyone tried out the ART Pro-VLA II for this kind of application? im sure its not as nice as a culture vulture.. but for $3200 less? :despair:

vytis
Veteran Wiggler

Post by vytis » Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:44 pm

Sonitex STX-1260 is a wonderful VST plugin. It can warm up / distort sounds in a way nothing else can. Seriously worth checking out.
http://www.toneprojects.com/products/pl ... -stx-1260/

stk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by stk » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:01 pm

Bought Klanghelm SDDR the other day. http://klanghelm.com/SDRR.php

Sounds very very good.

pollux
Learning to Wiggle

Post by pollux » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:39 pm

I can get nothing short of magical results by running a final mix thru Waves SSL G-EQ -> PSP VintageWarmer(2) -> PSP MixSaturator2 -> PSP MasterComp.

That chain used properly can take the worst, lifeless, cold mix, which lacks clarity and punch -- and make it sound fat, warm, analog, and magical

sometimes (before, or after this chain) Ill burn the the mix to brand new ATR Tape or older Maxell UD Mastering Tape -- via an old 1970's tape machine. burning things to tape will naturally open the mix'es m/s, due to each channel being very very slightly different, the tape machines wow & flutter, and the natural compression from writing it to an actual physical medium. burning a final digital mix to tape can make it sound like a real record. you can get tape machines for this purpose from $200-1000, any will do really

:cat:

cheers

unmode
Common Wiggler

Post by unmode » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:10 am

stk wrote:Bought Klanghelm SDDR the other day. http://klanghelm.com/SDRR.php

Sounds very very good.
Can highly recommend SDRR. It's very sensitive to gain staging, so make sure you're hitting zero on the input meter.

konnekshen
Common Wiggler

Post by konnekshen » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:12 pm

what i like quite a lot to put even mixes through is
the Presonus ADL 600 which can be bought quite cheap second hand in the USA. it is also fantastic for recording about everything
and you might be amazed how your synths sound through it.

if you got the chance to play around with one, try it.
maybe you like it ;)

HowMuchYaBench
Common Wiggler

Post by HowMuchYaBench » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:40 pm

Hah, I just recommended this in another thread too, but U-He Diva is great for this.

konnekshen
Common Wiggler

Post by konnekshen » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:52 am

how do you "warm up tracks" with u-he diva?

IR
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by IR » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:38 am

Eowave Filterbug. It's stereo, and it's a pretty clean filter if you want, so you can cut out the aliasing.

IR
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by IR » Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:18 am

steampoweredsequencer wrote: bit reduction (12-bit mostly).
how?

konnekshen
Common Wiggler

Post by konnekshen » Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:30 am

i got the

Chase Bliss Warped Vinyl and though it is mono

(maybe there will be a stereo version in the future)

it is such an amazing pedal

from warming up over subtle wow and flutter like sound
(much more usable than anything else i heard)
to fantastic chorus / vibrato sounds.

HIGHLY recommended !!!! you have to hear and
check HOW good it sounds. not just good. trademark sound.

lilakmonoke
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lilakmonoke » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:35 am

Hermetech Mastering wrote:Saturating real, high quality transformers can often work wonders. Have ten in my chain!

They have a 1u 8 channel version in the works too!
awesome stuff, simple and to the point!

"warming up is kind of a double bladed knife, most of the time you get "warmth" but lose detail.

im surprised nobody has mentioned modular filters yet. running stuff through a wide open korgasmatron almost sounds like tape to my ears. likewise the wmd hadron collider or the schippmann ... and FET preamps are great as well.

here i use home made high resolution digital oscillators in just tunings run through a schippmann LPF and then mastered to a well maintained tascam 644 with high speed, dbx and medium gain. what i can hear is that im losing a lot of the high end delay swing but at the same time i gain "presence" for the lack of a better word.

after listening to this for two days i actually like the digital version more because it preserves the eerie just tuning frequencies better. its all case by case ...

digital: http://tindeck.com/listen/bwpy

tape (and soundcloud quality ;-):

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/178258767" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]

calaveras
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by calaveras » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:27 pm

um, my favorite way to warm up digital is to put transformer equipped gear in my signal path. I like to use old Yamaha mixers for this purpose.
I also have a few tube based preamps ans such, but sometimes those do the opposite. Giving too much harmonic complexity to stuff that doesnt need it.

Return to “Production Techniques”