SVF-201 demo

Discussion and support for KOMA Elektronik effects pedals, eurorack gear and all the other stuff we do...

Moderators: Kent, osterchrisi

Umcorps
Will patch for food

SVF-201 demo

Post by Umcorps » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:58 pm

Been asked a bunch of questions about this excellent filter so made this demo running through some of the settings and options. Best watched at the highest resolution and full screen if you want to see the scope properly.

Decent headphones or speakers are also a good idea.

[video][/video]

Ras Thavas
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Ras Thavas » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:36 pm

Thanks, I wish every new filter had a demo like this to better show it's basic character.

radiodread87
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by radiodread87 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:46 pm

Very nice demo of a very nice filter! Kudos! :tu:
"I have come here to Kick Ass and chew bubblegum.....and I'm all out of bubblegum"

"And since - my friend we have exposed your deepest fear! I sentence you to be exposed before all your peers! Tear Down the Wall!"

stellvia
Wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey

Post by stellvia » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:13 pm

Thanks for that Umcorps :tu:

Exactly what I wanted to hear :yay: The resonance on this sounds quite interesting, very harmonic, really interesting and musical sounding.

I do believe I may have to go and order one of these :hihi:

Umcorps
Will patch for food

Post by Umcorps » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:46 am

Cheers! Glad its of some use :guinness:

Just to emphasise a few points from the video. As should be clear, if you want a clean, precise filter this is probably not the module you are looking for. It can do some unexpected things, particularly at low cutoff settings even without any gain on the input.

It doesn't track accurately. I didn't have any expectation that it would so its not a problem for me but its worth mentioning if you care about such things. Also self resonation is not really possible. It will do it if you set the cutoff high enough (from ear somewhere north of 1.5 KHz) but it can't sustain the self resonation at lower cutoff frequencies.

Someone asked me how it compares to the QMMG. Apart from the fact they both use vactrols, they are really very different. The QMMG on its own can be quite a savage creature (or mine is anyway) and is very quick to scream and generally rip into whatever you input. If you want something less than balls to the wall from it you need external attenuators and plenty of them.

The SVF gives you attenuators on all the inputs. It also gives you a lot more potential gain on the input than is available on the QMMG. So its capable of giving you a much greater range of colours straight out of the box. I really, really love playing with the input gain and how it interacts with the filter resonance. As filters go, it's a really deep little module. There is a lot to explore.

What I didn't do in the video was show the SVF doing anything percussive which is bad of me because it does typically lovely vactrol drum sounds. That's probably the main area where there is some overlap between it and the QMMG in terms of sound.

stellvia

Post by stellvia » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:40 am

Well, I have take advantage of the holiday special and ordered one (along with a Kommander) :hihi:

Looks to be an interesting filter, very much looking forward to playing with it :hyper:

Thanks for the extra info Umcorps. The unstable nature of the resonance heard from the video is actually what pushed me over the edge into getting one, it's an interesting response I haven't really heard on a filter before, especially how the resonance seemed to track the harmonic series of the note as it was swept.

I've got a Dr Octature that does the whole precision, tracking, self oscillating etc thing, this looks to have a whole different character to it :guinness:

tektoktiktak
Common Wiggler

Re: SVF-201 demo

Post by tektoktiktak » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:07 am

Umcorps wrote:Been asked a bunch of questions about this excellent filter so made this demo running through some of the settings and options. Best watched at the highest resolution and full screen if you want to see the scope properly.

[video][/video]
awesome demo Umcorps! :hail:
http://www.koma-elektronik.com

~
~
.---.
`---'=.
| | |
| |='
`---'

Umcorps
Will patch for food

Post by Umcorps » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:53 am

tektoktiktak wrote: awesome demo Umcorps! :hail:
Awesome filter!! :sb:

Infrablue
This sentence is false

Post by Infrablue » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:24 am

Umcorps wrote:Been asked a bunch of questions about this excellent filter so made this demo running through some of the settings and options. Best watched at the highest resolution and full screen if you want to see the scope properly.

[video][/video]
Amazing demo. You should be hired to demo every module out there...!

Gorgeous filter! What a sound.

phasebash
Ultra Wiggler

Post by phasebash » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:09 pm

Can this filter be used as a LPG by pinging the filter cutoff CV in?

Umcorps
Will patch for food

Post by Umcorps » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:10 am

phasebash wrote:Can this filter be used as a LPG by pinging the filter cutoff CV in?
Kind of :) https://soundcloud.com/umcorps/kperc/s-owFnV

http://soundcloud.com/umcorps/kperc/s-owFnV

It's not got a VCA component so it doesn't gate. If the cutoff isn't set to min and if you use something other than the LP output you can hear the source but that doesn't have to be a bad thing.
Last edited by Umcorps on Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

phasebash
Ultra Wiggler

Post by phasebash » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:50 pm

Umcorps wrote:
phasebash wrote:Can this filter be used as a LPG by pinging the filter cutoff CV in?
Kind of :) https://soundcloud.com/umcorps/kperc

http://soundcloud.com/umcorps/kperc

It's not got a VCA component so it doesn't gate. If the cutoff isn't set to min and if you use something other than the LP output you can hear the source but that doesn't have to be a bad thing.
I suspected that, but I suppose it can still be very fun. Is the track above public? I'm not able to see it. Cheers in advance!

Umcorps
Will patch for food

Post by Umcorps » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:31 am

Sorry - only put half the url in there. Fixed it now hopefully.

stellvia

Post by stellvia » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:27 am

Received my SVF-201 and Kommander from Koma today! :bacon:

Had a good jam with them, both heaps of fun. The SVF-201 has a really different filter characteristic to the rest of the filters in my modular (Boogie, Dr Octature & SEM 20), in a really good way. The filter really seems to chew on and bring out all kinds of interesting harmonics and it's a ball to play with the controls of the filter using the Kommander :banana:

Here's a quick demo I just did cause I was having heaps of fun with them :hihi:
http://soundcloud.com/eschelyn/sfv-201-kommander-jam

Thanks Koma for the awesome bits of gear!!!

DonKartofflo
The knob-twisting Hive Mind

Post by DonKartofflo » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:42 am

I find it really incredibly how the resonance brings the signals harmonics really to the "top" of the sound.
the fact that there is cv over resonance could make for some seriously complex sounds :hyper:

and stellvia, your demo is :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :love: :love:

quick question: are the pots panel mounted? because those big ones look like they could use a good hard wiggling :love:
Nelson Baboon wrote:Beware of people who tell you to smile.
FS:
Mutable Instruments Tides 1 120€
Addac sys 12U powered frame 200€

osterchrisi
Common Wiggler

Post by osterchrisi » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:57 pm

Return to “KOMA Elektronik”