Module Announcement !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! RC1radiostar

Support and discussion for soundmachines products.

Moderators: Kent, soundmachines

soundmachines
Veteran Wiggler

Post by soundmachines » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:52 am

lessavyfav wrote:FTW! Such a great great idea! So much potential, hoping for a dedicated app.

Not that it isn't already looking killer but... Any chance it could read/respond to/manipulate incoming signals? Bluetooth scope? Voltmeter? Fully customizable Quantizer?
We don't have inputs right now (apart from the sync ones for the sequencer functionalitites....).
That could be done with an expansion, I guess :)
Anyone out there is profitable on PIC32 C programming???? :)

soundmachines
Veteran Wiggler

Post by soundmachines » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:10 am

Nuuj wrote:Finally, I've been expecting this for years.
What are the frequency limits for the cv outputs?
I still have to do the full math on this (let alone tests!) but I'm expecting few ms lag (for example for the TRIGGER buttons application) and a maximum 'message rate' of 100 per second (and it's already pushing it!).
Anyway, the figures I will be comfortable with are much smaller, the idea is to have something to 'remotize' your potentiometers, trigger envelopes or sequences of cv's, and record and automate all of the above. Frankly, we still didn't depicted the whole spectrum of applications.....
(I'm just imagining a cheap android smartphone strapped to your guitar that goes into a sound mangling monster modular and you control VCAs and VC mixers, or sample rates.......)

In 'sequencer' mode, that could enclose SOME of the outputs (or every of them) the timing will be tightly linked to an internal clock OR to an external source.

Cheers,
Davide

soundmachines
Veteran Wiggler

Post by soundmachines » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:15 am

chrisp wrote:sorry but :omg: !!!!!!

when?!!!!!!!!! :sb:
The plan is for Nov/Dec!

no-fi

Post by no-fi » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:32 am

Interesting!

I've been slowly working on something similar for myself (though a lot simpler - way less of a physical user interface) wasn't sure it'd make a product people wanted to buy.

Nuuj
A$$ Wiggler

Post by Nuuj » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:26 am

Not to be a jerk, but as the module is almost all output jacks, I'd think you could cram them all a little closer together for a smaller module. It's not like there are any knobs on there to twiddle.
https://rnuuja.bandcamp.com/album/this- ... oepuss-phd
https://soundcloud.com/r-nuuja
http://www.facebook.com/are.nuuja
http://rnuuja.tumblr.com/

vqlk: "...so seriously - this a forum dedicated to discussing each other's really lame and un-extreme modular synths??!"

soundmachines
Veteran Wiggler

Post by soundmachines » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:33 am

Nuuj wrote:Not to be a jerk, but as the module is almost all output jacks, I'd think you could cram them all a little closer together for a smaller module. It's not like there are any knobs on there to twiddle.
Space in Euro is a luxury, I know...
I think that we can work some more on that... anyway, as I would like to have only ONE pcb, and there are other components on it, the space is necessarily IN BETWEEN jacks!!! :)
Moreover, I thought about having socketed DIP packages on the output buffers, just in case someone fucks-up with the outputs.... The DACs have current limiting on the output but you never know.... :)

loydb
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by loydb » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:02 am

Sadly, whatever you may feel about Apple's certification process, I think you're really limiting your sales potential by going Android only. If the philosophical point is more important than units sold, well, I applaud you sticking by your principles. But if you look where the action is on 'pad' based music, it's happening in iOS.

Not trying to start a platform flame war, but I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one heavily invested into the iOS ecosystem who would have otherwise bought this day one.
15U 168hp Zebrawood case Build Log [FINISHED]: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... p?t=134540
MFOS Ultimate Expand-o-tron Build Log: http://www.electro-music.com/forum/view ... 797#308797
MFOS Mini-Controller Build Log [FINISHED!]: http://www.electro-music.com/forum/view ... hp?t=42968

lessavyfav
Ultra Wiggler

Post by lessavyfav » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:30 am

Wait! No iPhone or iPad? Hm...
I'm Tim and I'm excited for modular synthesis! :nana:

soundmachines
Veteran Wiggler

Post by soundmachines » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:35 am

loydb wrote:Sadly, whatever you may feel about Apple's certification process, I think you're really limiting your sales potential by going Android only. If the philosophical point is more important than units sold, well, I applaud you sticking by your principles. But if you look where the action is on 'pad' based music, it's happening in iOS.

Not trying to start a platform flame war, but I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one heavily invested into the iOS ecosystem who would have otherwise bought this day one.
I am sorry that you did not took the time to read the slides before commenting.

Nevertheless maybe the information was not so underlined (but I thougth so!):

This product, as it's written clearly, HAVE connectivity for both worlds, Android and iOS, and exactly for the purpose you wrote.
As you probably know, starting from oct'11 Apple (finally! there were really NO substantial technical arguments for that) gave up to the protected BT connectivity. This has been done by opening the iOS app developers to the BT 4.0 platform (dual mode, nonetheless), in which you can freely create your protocols and connect with your iDevice.

Until now (and until BT module manufacturers did not present a suitable product) this was a 'showstopper', also in other markets, much bigger than ours!

I don't know what are your experiences but I know first-hand in details the certification procedure (to the extent that I cannot talk about that HERE :)) and I assure you that's a PITA. Then you have to buy authentication chips from Apple directly. All of this for a product that will have some hundreds pieces per year of mass production (best case scenario).

Anyway, the 'sad' part, if there's one, is that I can not warrant backward compatibility with old iOS devices without the BT4.0 chipset. That would take too many development time, agreements, and such.

And probably I could not OPEN the protocol to other people that wants to write apps.

We ended up putting TWO BT module in the product to have it compatible with both worlds (one at a time guys!!!!! :))

As long as I am writing this down with an MB Air, and I have several other gear laying around in my pockets and on the coffetable with a white apple sticker on it, I am not the type that springs up 'platform wars'.

soundmachines
Veteran Wiggler

Post by soundmachines » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:40 am

lessavyfav wrote:Wait! No iPhone or iPad? Hm...
Sorry, there was some misunderstanding, please see the reply above.

Cheers,
Davide

loydb
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by loydb » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:31 am

Yay! :bacon:
15U 168hp Zebrawood case Build Log [FINISHED]: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... p?t=134540
MFOS Ultimate Expand-o-tron Build Log: http://www.electro-music.com/forum/view ... 797#308797
MFOS Mini-Controller Build Log [FINISHED!]: http://www.electro-music.com/forum/view ... hp?t=42968

blinosynth
Veteran Wiggler

Post by blinosynth » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:56 am

this with soundplane is
:drunkhomer:
:mygod:
but then ,
:cat:
:hihi:

iVardensphere
Wiggling with Experience

Post by iVardensphere » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:21 am

8===>:hail:

That's pretty fancy there, guy. Love it!
I can't brain today. I have the dumb.
Polyphony is overrated.
------------------------------------------
Tribal/Electronic/Industrial
www.ivardensphere.com

blinosynth
Veteran Wiggler

Post by blinosynth » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:43 pm

ohh the soundplane has a usb port... :(

soundmachines
Veteran Wiggler

UPDATE for RC1

Post by soundmachines » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:36 am

Dear all
development has started.
As the RB1 is going into production, we started working on the RC1.
I took some time to reason on many of your priceless enquiries, hints, critics, and talk internally about different stuff....

Some outstanding news:

-It will support OSC over BT (either SPP and Low Energy application profile, to have on board either Android (or WIN, or what else...) and iOS).
(we will keep also another 'lighter' protocol, just to save bytes..)

-It will have the choice (hardware) to choose between 5V and hotter 12V gates output

-It will have an expansion connector, to connect other 'medium' in the future.

-We are going to develop an iOS and Android basic application to download and start palying !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cheers

Veqtor
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: UPDATE for RC1

Post by Veqtor » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:01 am

soundmachines wrote:
-We are going to develop an iOS and Android basic application to download and start palying !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Can you release source-code for these? I would really like to integrate it into an upcoming app for ios and android

soundmachines
Veteran Wiggler

Re: UPDATE for RC1

Post by soundmachines » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:19 am

Veqtor wrote:
soundmachines wrote:
Can you release source-code for these? I would really like to integrate it into an upcoming app for ios and android
Hi Veqtor.
For sure we will release all the informations (protocols and procedures) that you will need to interact with the module. We are still deciding for the app source!

Return to “soundmachines”