Mutant Hihats Filter mod?

Discussion for Hexinverter eurorack modules - email Hex if you need anything urgent!

Moderators: Kent, hexinverter

Post Reply
skylab001
Common Wiggler
Posts: 223
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:12 am
Location: Southern California

Mutant Hihats Filter mod?

Post by skylab001 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:03 pm

So I dig the mutant Hihats and have been using them for a while now. I'm curious about one thing that has always bugged me though. It seems like the filter knob really only does anything in the last 1/3 of the pot range. So I was just thinking about a mod, something that would allow the full pot range to affect just that last 1/3 of the current pot range? A series resistor or inline trimmer perhaps, not really sure, that's why I'm posting here. Maybe it's just my Mutant hats is whacked?

stevecooley
1-Post Wiggler
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:56 pm
Location: silicon valley, ca

Post by stevecooley » Thu May 18, 2017 2:53 pm

I agree, mine doesn't seem to do much until the last third of the overall rotation. I find that using a module like Busy Circuits' O/A/x2 attenuverter can help normalize the hihat filter's detectable range to a full CV sweep.

ege.gonul
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:07 am

Post by ege.gonul » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:33 am

Its not only in one module. DIY Mutant Snare is also acting in a same way. You can use only 1/3 of the knob of snappiness. So unprofessional sadly..

User avatar
hexinverter
the nettles make me think happy times
Posts: 2968
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:48 pm
Location: Montreal, Canada

Post by hexinverter » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:26 pm

ege.gonul wrote:Its not only in one module. DIY Mutant Snare is also acting in a same way. You can use only 1/3 of the knob of snappiness. So unprofessional sadly..
The Snappy Decay knob's range of adjustment is in fact relative to the trimming you do while assembling it. In our retail modules, it goes from almost instant to approximately twenty seconds, quite linearly across the knob range. I suggest re-calibrating your module. It's quite a sensitive adjustment! :tu:
Hexinverter Électronique
em: stacy[at]hexinverter.net

ege.gonul
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:07 am

Post by ege.gonul » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:28 pm

hexinverter wrote:
ege.gonul wrote:Its not only in one module. DIY Mutant Snare is also acting in a same way. You can use only 1/3 of the knob of snappiness. So unprofessional sadly..
The Snappy Decay knob's range of adjustment is in fact relative to the trimming you do while assembling it. In our retail modules, it goes from almost instant to approximately twenty seconds, quite linearly across the knob range. I suggest re-calibrating your module. It's quite a sensitive adjustment! :tu:
I meant SHELL/SNAPPY mix knob. You use %10 of the knob. %90 of the time you only hear shell noise. I've seen posts about these specific issue and I myself experiencing it with my snare.

User avatar
hexinverter
the nettles make me think happy times
Posts: 2968
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:48 pm
Location: Montreal, Canada

Post by hexinverter » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:03 am

ege.gonul wrote:I meant SHELL/SNAPPY mix knob. You use %10 of the knob. %90 of the time you only hear shell noise. I've seen posts about these specific issue and I myself experiencing it with my snare.
This is because the shell sound might be louder than the internal noise generator or external input being used for SNAPPY.

The two are blended between at unity. Different SNAPPY signal levels result in different ratios of blending. It is configured this way so it will universally accept different external input levels and be as flexible as possible.

If you'd like to alter the level of SNAPPY, just trim the level adjustment screw on the back of the DIY module. It says 1Vp on the PCB (353mV rms), but you can trim it all the way up to 6Vp or larger if you like.

Adjust it until it works for you. We're talking about the DIY version after all.

The retail (not DIY) Mutant Snare is of course balanced at calibration/testing time at manufacturing, so has an equal adjustment range right out of the box.
Hexinverter Électronique
em: stacy[at]hexinverter.net

warmtape
Common Wiggler
Posts: 193
Joined: Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:21 am
Location: NYC

Post by warmtape » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:13 am

is the issue with the hats only in DIY modules or in factory builds, as well?

Damasene
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:21 am
Location: Montréal

Post by Damasene » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:42 pm

warmtape wrote:is the issue with the hats only in DIY modules or in factory builds, as well?

@warmtape a factory built Hihats will arrive calibrated so the noise and shell are of a similar amplitude. The DIY versions you have to calibrate yourself, that is the only difference.

warmtape
Common Wiggler
Posts: 193
Joined: Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:21 am
Location: NYC

Post by warmtape » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:49 pm

sorry, my questions actually pertained to the original post, about the filter. My filter kjnob also only seems to be useful (not using any EXT in) between 60%-100% clockwise

Damasene
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:21 am
Location: Montréal

Post by Damasene » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:44 pm

Ah sorry. I think it's the same in factory and DIY,

Post Reply

Return to “Hexinverter Electronique”