Schematic lists 100nF and also 0.1uF

Discussion for Hexinverter eurorack modules - email Hex if you need anything urgent!

Moderators: Kent, hexinverter

Post Reply
User avatar
neonjung
Common Wiggler
Posts: 110
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:44 pm

Schematic lists 100nF and also 0.1uF

Post by neonjung » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:45 am

Does anyone know why this Hex schematic uses two ways of writing the same value of capacitor? The only thing I can think of is that the .1uF should be film not ceram, but the neither the BoM nor manual mention this. Any help reeeeally appreciated!

User avatar
lasesentaysiete
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1444
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:23 am
Location: Barcelona

Post by lasesentaysiete » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:53 am

which schematic?

Bypass caps on ics will be ceramic. Others could vary. Sometimes the pcb slikscreen gives an idea, too (if a pcb exists).

User avatar
neonjung
Common Wiggler
Posts: 110
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:44 pm

Post by neonjung » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:21 am

lasesentaysiete wrote:which schematic?

Bypass caps on ics will be ceramic. Others could vary. Sometimes the pcb slikscreen gives an idea, too (if a pcb exists).
Hi, thanks for the reply. It's the mutant bd. The print on the pcb labels just one, maybe two, capacitors as being '.1uF' and then a bunch of others as being '100nF'. The schematic also makes this distinction. The reason it's caught my attention is because I'm trying to troubleshoot why my module's lowest pitch is really high. I've checked all resistors and they're all correct. The only thing I can think of is that I've used a ceramic cap for the .1uF (on Hex's photo of the finished diy module I can see they've used film caps for all the caps of the values 100nf and also the .1uF )

User avatar
lasesentaysiete
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1444
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:23 am
Location: Barcelona

Post by lasesentaysiete » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:31 am

I can't find the schematic, but I wouldn't think that the ceramic vs film thing would be causing your issue.

User avatar
neonjung
Common Wiggler
Posts: 110
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:44 pm

Post by neonjung » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:03 am

lasesentaysiete wrote:I can't find the schematic, but I wouldn't think that the ceramic vs film thing would be causing your issue.
I've got no idea what to do after checking that all the caps and resistors are correct :despair:

User avatar
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 7592
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:46 pm
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:58 am

Just a thought:

I list all of my capacitors using the three-digit notation, as I find that this completely eliminates having to think too hard about it.

What is three-digit notation? It is the first two digits of the value, followed by a third digit representing the number of zeros that value would have in pF.

So...

100pF = 101
1nF = 1000pF = 102
47nF = 47000pF = 473
1uF = 1000nF = 1000000pF = 105

For values less than 100pF I just use the value, so 33pF = 33 (not 330, as this creates direct confusion).

There are only a few standard capacitor values. These are:

10, 12, 15, 18, 22, 27, 33, 39, 47, 56, 68, 82

The most common values are every other one; hence:

10, 15, 22, 33, 47, 68

For any one of these, there are typically only about 6 or 7 real values; hence, for, say, 22, there will be:

22, 221, 222, 223, 224, 225, 226

These correspond to:

22 = 22pF
221 = 220pF
222 = 2200pF = 2.2nF
223 = 22nF = 0.022uF
224 = 220nF = 0.22uF
225 = 2200nF = 2.2uF
226 = 22uF

It's a great system.
For every bullshit job, you need a bullshit education -- Brian Eno

User avatar
neonjung
Common Wiggler
Posts: 110
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:44 pm

Post by neonjung » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:18 pm

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:Just a thought:

I list all of my capacitors using the three-digit notation, as I find that this completely eliminates having to think too hard about it.

What is three-digit notation? It is the first two digits of the value, followed by a third digit representing the number of zeros that value would have in pF.

So...

100pF = 101
1nF = 1000pF = 102
47nF = 47000pF = 473
1uF = 1000nF = 1000000pF = 105

For values less than 100pF I just use the value, so 33pF = 33 (not 330, as this creates direct confusion).

There are only a few standard capacitor values. These are:

10, 12, 15, 18, 22, 27, 33, 39, 47, 56, 68, 82

The most common values are every other one; hence:

10, 15, 22, 33, 47, 68

For any one of these, there are typically only about 6 or 7 real values; hence, for, say, 22, there will be:

22, 221, 222, 223, 224, 225, 226

These correspond to:

22 = 22pF
221 = 220pF
222 = 2200pF = 2.2nF
223 = 22nF = 0.022uF
224 = 220nF = 0.22uF
225 = 2200nF = 2.2uF
226 = 22uF

It's a great system.
Thanks for this! Clever, system, will use it in future.

Still don't why they went to the trouble of calling just two caps .1uF instead of 100nF like all the rest :despair:

Post Reply

Return to “Hexinverter Electronique”