COCOQUANTUS 2 "GETTING STARTED MANUAL"

home of post-70s electronics

Moderators: Kent, bartlebooth

timeforest
Common Wiggler

Re: COCOQUANTUS 2 "GETTING STARTED MANUAL"

Post by timeforest » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:24 am

both approaches seem wise. so just to be clear i can patch anything together in these two if i connect the black ground bananas?

how would you guys approach modulating, say avdogs or gongue with cq bananas?

thanks again

timeforest
Common Wiggler

Post by timeforest » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:34 am

ok i lied- another question :)

what’s the best way to get external outputs into cq? i haven’t even tried yet because i’m so absorbed with the quantussy but i may try lining in op1 tonight. op1 has a 1/8 mono out, should i line into the piezo and stack the banana out to monitor both channels? can you do that with the stereo inputs or do i need a y cable (also can’t seem to find any 1/8 to 1/8 male y cables anywhere). thanks for the continued help!

namon
Common Wiggler

Post by namon » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:40 pm

The piezo input plus stacked bananas to each side works well.
Often I'll take my euro stereos and Jack those in the individual ins.
A splitter cable works as well for your op1, male to two female ends, than I just use a pair of 3.5 patch cables.

timeforest
Common Wiggler

Post by timeforest » Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:19 pm

piezo input seems ideal so i don’t need to use yet another splitter but is there any reason i shouldn’t use it? not really sure how it differs from the stereo ins

namon
Common Wiggler

Post by namon » Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:58 pm

As far as I know (which is not very far) it had a higher gain stage, to help bring piezo levels up. So you can over drive your op1 signal if you pin it. But that's all :)

jimmie
Veteran Wiggler

Post by jimmie » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:10 pm

you can plug mono signal to the stereo ins without problem. it's just you can hear only one channel. splitter should work fine, of course.

timeforest
Common Wiggler

Post by timeforest » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:32 am

what’s the deal with the iron cross? is that the square out on each coco? anyone recommend some cool uses for it?

timeforest
Common Wiggler

Post by timeforest » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:24 pm

so i just tried op1 with my coco. i’m confuzed and wondering if the piezo input on my brand new unit is nonfunctional. i’m hearing no audio at all from lining into the piezo input with a 1/8 cable and patching the white banana to the green banana on each coco. zilch. the same 1/8 cable patched from op1 yields audio in both coco channels when patched into either stereo input jack. is there a reason i can’t hear the piezo? and why am i getting signal in both channels from the single mono in? this is kinda nice actually but i don’t want my piezo to be defective. thanks all for continued help!

namon
Common Wiggler

Post by namon » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:33 pm

Gotta check,. It you have the piezo pot' open?

timeforest
Common Wiggler

Post by timeforest » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:35 pm

edit: seems to be sorted/looks like it was the cable

sungja
Wiggling with Experience

Post by sungja » Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:11 pm

Iron cross into the speed affect makes delay shorter and more reverb like.

eyeiaye
Wiggling with Experience

Post by eyeiaye » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:37 pm

super interested in this. Quick question. How many seconds can I sample?

Duplan
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Duplan » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:01 am

eyeiaye wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:37 pm
super interested in this. Quick question. How many seconds can I sample?
Same kind of question here. very new to Cocoquantus, have had it for a few days only. I don't really get the mechanics of delay/sampling on this instrument. I've been able to sample only a few seconds of sound. I mean, what's really the influence of the "speed" knob on sampling ?

Thanks a lot everyone for all the useful info otherwise on this thread !! :hail:

mrbloor
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mrbloor » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:58 am

I don't really see the Coco as a sampler, it's basically 2 x 12bit delays. Run sound through it as a delay unit & see how the quantussy section can mess with the repeats. Of course this particular delay unit has a switch that enables you to freeze the delay & have that sound repeat indefinitely, but it's still only a 12bit delay so you'll only get a few seconds at best & as you pitch down it will introduce noise right down & you get all the grit associated with 1bit & a longer time for freezing the buffer.

You also have the ability to overdub, so I like to feed it the same note with the pitch up high then gradually reduce the speed and overdub a series of the same note. This way you can build up nice little melodies with increasing levels of texture & grit.

I didn't really get the Coco at first, I loved the sound and the accessibility but couldn't work out what was going on. I'd recommend ignoring the quantussy section until you get a handle on freezing audio, pitching & overdubbing. Then introduce the quantussy on a single frozen note to see how it reacts, then your off. I'd add that I have a v1 with nodes rather than nana sockets, I'd suggest putting some bare nana pins in and try playing it with touch first.

You can then move on to the quantussy as a sound source & it's possibilities of modulation for other gear.

It's an odd beast but because it's so immediate it continues to throw up fascinating sounds and I often find that sitting in front of it I'll easily get lost for a few hours. I can honestly say in the event of a fire, after removing the kids, the wife, the animals, the wife's journals if I had time I'd go back in and grab the Cocoquantus.

Sorry to not answer your question, I've never timed to see how much 'sample' I can grab but as a delay with infinite repeat it's my all time favourite :party: Hope this helps.

sungja
Wiggling with Experience

Post by sungja » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:09 am

Maybe if you slowed down the delay with the ground to speed affect input you could get more time in the buffer. Never tried the ground to speed affect before but will do if i get around to it the next couple of days.

mrbloor
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mrbloor » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:25 am

sungja wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:09 am
Maybe if you slowed down the delay with the ground to speed affect input you could get more time in the buffer. Never tried the ground to speed affect before but will do if i get around to it the next couple of days.
Yes it deffo works a charm, always a balance between what you'd consider to be acceptable sound quality.

namon
Common Wiggler

Post by namon » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:12 pm

Mrbloor, that was a fantastic write up.

Yloopz
Common Wiggler

Post by Yloopz » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:38 am

Oke, fairly new to the coco but i am afraid my right coco doesnt work. I have mono audio in to piezo, white to the left coco, i hear a nice delay etc. I stack another cable from white in to the right coco in and i hear nothing from the right coco. I have a stereo out to my mixer. Also when i put an osc from the middle into the right coco i hear nothing... i hope i am doing something wrong, otherwise its broken :confused:

Edit: the dolby swithes are up. I tried different configurations, different cables, mono output, stereo output, stereo input, 2 mono inputs etc...
My imagination is my inspiration...
Instagram: @jungleofwires

timeforest
Common Wiggler

Post by timeforest » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:00 am

couple things that make sense to me to try:

• when you power on and turn up the coco pot on the right do you get white noise?
• try patching in a triangle orange banana (with the switch in middle position) from the tussy to the right coco with chaos all the way ccw and pitch at 10 o’clock. any audio?

Yloopz
Common Wiggler

Post by Yloopz » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:35 am

timeforest wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:00 am
couple things that make sense to me to try:

• when you power on and turn up the coco pot on the right do you get white noise?
• try patching in a triangle orange banana (with the switch in middle position) from the tussy to the right coco with chaos all the way ccw and pitch at 10 o’clock. any audio?
Thanks for helping, no I have got no noise on the right coco and also no audio from patching a triangle.... On the left all is fine. I have stereo splitter to two monochanels to my mixer and I checked the cables and all is fine. the light is on of the right 'looper' so that works.

edit: One more thing, if it stereo patched (2 mono from a stereo source on the front) do I need to hear the left coco on the left and the right coco on the right?

Yloopz
Common Wiggler

Post by Yloopz » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:11 am

oke, ive got it. Its working now, there is something wrong with the switches on the right coco, there is one a sort of upside down and really wobbly.and is not 'clicking' that well. So I think I need a repair of some sorts. Thanks for the help anyways appreciate it. I am glad that there is nothing wrong with the rest.

0netwo0netwo
Veteran Wiggler

Post by 0netwo0netwo » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:53 am

is your coco brand new??

Yloopz
Common Wiggler

Post by Yloopz » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:57 am

0netwo0netwo wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:53 am
is your coco brand new??
oct. 2019

Madrayken
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Madrayken » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:54 pm

Agh. I've had my Coco for several years and *still* don't understand the pair of Dolby switches on each side.

It feels like:
- Left Up + Right Up = 'normal'
- Left Mid + Right Up = 'normal'
- Left Down + Right Up = turn off input
- Left Up + Right Mid = 'normal'
- Left Mid + Right Mid = 'normal'
- Left Down + Right Mid = um
- Left Up + Right Down = kidney
- Left Mid + Right Down = walrus
- Left Down + Right Down = a collection of cheeses

If any of these settings are supposed to result in 'things being less noisy' then it's a fail.

Still love it, though. :-)

[Edit: never mind. Found a clearer description in another thread! http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=147127]
Anger is a sublimated desire for power.

https://denecarter.bandcamp.com
www.soundcloud.com/Madrayken

Return to “Ciat-Lonbarde”