Battery Powering your boxes

home of post-70s electronics

Moderators: Kent, bartlebooth

rodrigo
Common Wiggler

Battery Powering your boxes

Post by rodrigo » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:36 pm

I had a quick search but didn't find anything. I remember seeing some discussion about this here or there, but didn't remember any brands/keywords to look up.

Is anyone doing a battery/powerpack setup along with the CL boxes? I have a few of those handy Patch-Point/Bugbrand wall warts, which work well, but it would be so much tidier on my desk to just have a battery pack with the stuff.

I want to say I've seen some music brands have things like this, but as I said, I don't remember any...

Is anyone using something like this?
What brands?

What features have been useful? (on/off switch? being able to power it off a wall adapter while using it, USB recharging, etc...)

Coitmusic
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Battery Powering your boxes

Post by Coitmusic » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:05 pm

Hey, Rodrigo, I don’t have any experience with this but here’s a solution that Hainbach likes a lot:
https://koma-elektronik.com/?product=st ... r-solution

I just placed an order with Tayda Electronics and included some 3 AA battery cases and barrel plugs to make up my own high current long lasting 9v batteries for my CL stuff (and others). 6 AA batteries cost about 1.5x a single 9v and should last 5 times as long.

Chester

Cata
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Cata » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:20 pm

Wow these are super cool ^^^

I wonder if you would have the 9v battery issue with the plumbutter still or if switching to 12v would solve it

cold_fashioned
Common Wiggler

Post by cold_fashioned » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:42 pm

With my cocoquantus, I've been using a USB power bank (nothing fancy, 10,000 mAh capacity) along with either a 12V ripcord or 9V ripcord from myvolts (myvolts.com). I have experienced no problems using either voltage, and I don't think the coco draws that much current, because the battery doesn't seem to drain much, even after hours of use. My power bank is the size of a newer smartphone, but I bet you could still get a couple hours (or more) from even smaller ones.

batchas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batchas » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:10 am

I'm using this and it works really well. Small and handy.
12 V 4800 mAh Rechargeable Lithium Battery Li ion rechargeable battery with dc 12480 EU / US Plug Charger
https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/32947234 ... 6c37A0GAsi

And I use a more powerful one, bigger, for larger system (like BugBrand). Also works perfectly during hours. No available link anymore, but same brand:
DC122000 High Quality Super 12.6v 20Ah Rechargeable Portable Lithium-ion Battery pack DC 12V 20000mAh With EU Plug+charger
-----------------------------------
Batchas website
Bandcamp page

rodrigo
Common Wiggler

Post by rodrigo » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:27 pm

Coitmusic wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:05 pm
Hey, Rodrigo, I don’t have any experience with this but here’s a solution that Hainbach likes a lot:
https://koma-elektronik.com/?product=st ... r-solution
Ah cool. I think that's what I was thinking of, but I couldn't remember the name of find links.

It's a touch pricey particularly considering it doesn't provide power. I guess it's just a "power conditioner" thing.

So for those of you that are just using a power bank and cables/adapters, do you get noise or any funny business?

rodrigo
Common Wiggler

Post by rodrigo » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:39 pm

Actually, a question about the STROM thing, as it's unclear from the video/page.

If you only plug in one power bank to the STROM, do you only get 2 outputs?

Titus
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Titus » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:38 pm

rodrigo wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:39 pm
Actually, a question about the STROM thing, as it's unclear from the video/page.

If you only plug in one power bank to the STROM, do you only get 2 outputs?
Please someone correct me if I’m wrong.

From what I gather, you have 4 outputs but you‘d need two power banks to power all of them. If you just have one powerbank, you can only power two outputs.

You could use a daisy chain and power multiple instruments from one output? Not sure this is the best idea if all your instruments are power hungry.

Just got a storm but haven’t used it much. Really pleased I got it though! Definitely worth the 100 euros. Also note that it only comes with 1 cable to plug power bank to storm so you need to buy a second one separately (usb 2.0)

For cl gear I use 9v batteries if I want portability. Always alittle worried that a battery will die on me when I have a loop in coco but hasn’t happened yet!

rodrigo
Common Wiggler

Post by rodrigo » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:49 pm

That's a bit of an odd design choice. It starts to get a bit big if you have one of these, and then two separate power banks... and then the gear too of course.

Return to “Ciat-Lonbarde”