Help My Coco and Plum Find a Friend

home of post-70s electronics

Moderators: Kent, bartlebooth

willis3405
Learning to Wiggle

Help My Coco and Plum Find a Friend

Post by willis3405 » Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:38 pm

The past few months I've been exploring the vast sonic depths of the CL universe via Cocoquantus v2 and the Plumbutter v2; its been one hell of a beautiful and perplexing ride! One element I would like to incorporate into future sonic jaunts is more deliberate melodic information. I see 3 options and would love some input from you all: 1) OP-1 Teenage Engineering 2) Ciat Lonbarde Quatrax 3) Ciat Lonbarde Tetrax + Sidrax.

1) The OP-1 has some nice sampling and tape loop capabilities which wiggle real nicely with the Coco. Other users have rocked this setup with great success (Hainbach, etc.). To my fellow wigglers, does the OP-1's menu diving/ DAW seem to detract from the 'musical flow' when you're jamming with your instruments? One thing I love about CL gear is that they seem to encourage experimentation and unplanned musical directions. Will I lose this incorporating the OP-1 into my setup by having a 'predetermined direction' in mind?

2) Although it's a bit pricey, I've been eyeing the Quatrax for a while now. This one has been hard for me to find video/ audio clips of though. The added timbre knob seems like it might be really cool to blend between Sidrax and Tetrax tones. The only video I've seen is Peter B's test video which was enough to severely pique my interest. Having enough keys for both melody and modulation in one instrument is very tempting for me, although the colossal size of this thing seems to turn people off.

3) CL Tetrax + Sidrax is essentially a deconstructed Quatrax with less keys and a lower price. Two smaller units would be a little more manageable as far as size, but the best part about this setup would be having 2 chaos knobs! Do you think 2 chaos knobs would be better than having more keys? Perhaps staying in the CL universe is ideal because of the patching capabilities between CL instruments. One thing I have been struggling with is adding digital synths (melodic info) with the CL gear in a track; the digital synths seem to be disconnected with CL floating above in another dimension. CL patching and modulation (from the Coco Quantussy for instance) would certainly fix this and make a more cohesive sound.

So fellow Wigglers, can you help me find a friend? Stepping in my shoes, which option do you think would wiggle the most for my wages? :mrgreen:
Cheers!

samule.edmoon
Common Wiggler

Re: Help My Coco and Plum Find a Friend

Post by samule.edmoon » Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:59 pm

This is a strange thread for me to come across right now!

I recently sold my Tetrax and picked up an OP-1.

I have a PB-2, Coco 2 & Sidrax currently. I’ve spent the last couple weeks running my OP-1 into Coco n PB almost exclusively and I honestly feel that this pairing is exactly what I’ve been searching for, for a long time 😬

I’ll often grab some loops of OP-1 in Coco and run that to one of the PB inputs and then plug my OP-1 back into a different PB input for maximum variety. PB has become more of a texture and processing farm for me than a rhythm machine.

This is a long way of saying that my Sidrax hasn’t been getting a ton of use 😂 BUT I don’t want to let it go because it really does make a great controller. If you’re really adamant about having more “patching”, one of the other CL instruments is the way to go.

I work almost exclusively in “melodic” content and having the sampling, synth and tape capabilities of the OP-1 couldn’t fit that need better for me. I’m loving it soooo much that I actually just ordered an Organelle to feed the PB n Coco too 😅

I love my Sid, it’s special like all of Peter’s stuff BUT unless you’re going on wild patching explorations the tone may get a little “samey” quickly! (Or at least it did for me) I haven’t sold it because I don’t need to and occasionally it’s the exact tone or controller I want, but if I had to pick between it and an OP-1, it’s OP-1 hands down 🙏

And to touch on the digital and CL blending bit, I can’t comment on that TOO much because my OP-1 is always PART of the CL anyways. Running things into them has a way of making anything sound just as magical as the instruments are.

willis3405
Learning to Wiggle

Post by willis3405 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:23 am

hey samule.edmoon thanks for the reply! Its very interesting that you use the Plum as a "processing farm" instead of the standard rhythm crazy box. I'm curious if you do anything in addition to running things through the gongue aux for this process of textures? There are so many different ways to approach this instrument and I love to see how other people use the instrument in different ways.

As far as the using the aux to lonbarde-ize the digital synths, I like this idea, but I also like to create the music in one "flow" from start to finish. I have found that tracking things one at a time is hard to end up with a cohesive piece in the end for me :despair: . Anyways, reading your response I kept on jonesing for the Quatrax. The compatibility between the CL instruments, the tone blender knob, and the shear bada$$ size of the thing put me over the edge. I pulled the trigger on this beast, and it will arrive it in a couple of days :hyper: . I've never recorded a youtube video before but I feel like it would help other people that are on the fence with the Quatrax. Will keep y'all wigglers posted :sb:

samule.edmoon
Common Wiggler

Post by samule.edmoon » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:46 am

willis3405 wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:23 am
hey samule.edmoon thanks for the reply! Its very interesting that you use the Plum as a "processing farm" instead of the standard rhythm crazy box. I'm curious if you do anything in addition to running things through the gongue aux for this process of textures? There are so many different ways to approach this instrument and I love to see how other people use the instrument in different ways.

As far as the using the aux to lonbarde-ize the digital synths, I like this idea, but I also like to create the music in one "flow" from start to finish. I have found that tracking things one at a time is hard to end up with a cohesive piece in the end for me :despair: .

Anyways, reading your response I kept on jonesing for the Quatrax. The compatibility between the CL instruments, the tone blender knob, and the shear bada$$ size of the thing put me over the edge. I pulled the trigger on this beast, and it will arrive it in a couple of days :hyper: . I've never recorded a youtube video before but I feel like it would help other people that are on the fence with the Quatrax. Will keep y'all wigglers posted :sb:
The aux in for the Gongue is definitely one of my favourite places to go in but it’s not the ONLY.

The AV DOG input is great for getting some “stereo panning” happening that can be related (and/or further modulated) by the rhythms of the Plumbutter itself. You can also drone the AV Dogs to get a straight stereo signal BUT you also have the Verso/Inverso section of the mixer and that’s a great place to modulate as well, especially with audio rate. There’s some great textures to be had here with things like the quantum dust output & the ultrasound filters!

The Deerhorn input is probably my least favourite but it can be fun to have a loop or texture plugged in here that you control via your hand! Hainbach makes great use of this. You can also patch an orange out from elsewhere on the Plum to the orange output of the Deerhorn (yes you read that right, output to output 😅) to have a gate pick between the top and bottom channel of the Deerhorn. This is a great way (with the Rollz orange or TMWRS) to get some automatic gated rhythms happening. I often put field recordings on this input to get a “natural space” pumping in time with the rhythms of the Plumbutter! Soooo fun

I actually don’t multi track! I feel the same way as you.

Generally I record in stereo via the Plumbutter’s stereo out and just use the built in mixer to balance everything. Sure, this can be a pain and messy and it’s certainly not the only way to use it, but if you’re ever feeling adventurous there’s a whole new world of Plumbutter to be had 👍

Aweee, congrats on the Quatrax! You’ll love it I’m sure. It’s hard not to love any of Peter’s instruments. I’m definitely itching to hear more of the Quatrax (and also to see how you interface it with the other gear) so some YouTube videos would be fantastic.

I’ll follow this thread and if you want to post some thoughts or clips of your Quatrax once it arrives, I’ll be dying to hear it 🤘

I hope my previous reply was helpful, even though you went a different direction. Like you, I too am very curious about how other people view and use this gear. Even though we have different goals, I’m just as excited for your outcome!

Best of luck 🖤

cold_fashioned
Common Wiggler

Post by cold_fashioned » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:56 pm

get some automatic gated rhythms happening. I often put field recordings on this input to get a “natural space” pumping in time with the rhythms of the Plumbutter! Soooo fun
Dude - you're pushing me towards adding a plumbutter to my cocoquantus. All these tips and tricks you shared sound like a lot of fun, and like things I would definitely want to try. :sb:

samule.edmoon
Common Wiggler

Post by samule.edmoon » Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:28 pm

cold_fashioned wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:56 pm
get some automatic gated rhythms happening. I often put field recordings on this input to get a “natural space” pumping in time with the rhythms of the Plumbutter! Soooo fun
Dude - you're pushing me towards adding a plumbutter to my cocoquantus. All these tips and tricks you shared sound like a lot of fun, and like things I would definitely want to try. :sb:

Well, I’m glad to hear it 😂 I’m all for anyone adding a Plum 👍

I think it’s vastly underrated as an “input” device! I think if I had to make a Desert island choice, I may even choose it over coco 😬

Montgomery Word
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Montgomery Word » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:37 pm

allow me to further confuse things...

i had plumbutter and coco and a sidraw for a year. sidraw (sidrax knockoff by meng qi) was my “controlled chaos” of melodies, supposedly. i grew tired of the sid-way quickly. either i was ambient or too noisy. fast forward a year, i needed melody again with my plum and the coco! tried a shnth, but it’s a one way street kinda as far as directionality was concerned, so i decided to try the lorre mill keyed mosstone. at first it was a little daunting, finding out which ins/outs to avoid, since the KM can’t do dang negative voltages. but after some nice people scoped values for me in the ciat lonbarde group on facebook, i was off and running. now, i have keyed mosstone being sequenced by plumbutter AND cocoquantus, and ITSELF!

it’s an amazing instrument. very underrated, in a good way. i love the strong triangle tones. i love the woody nature of the keyed mosstone, especially when artifacts are introduced by the coco. plumbutter’s orange outs tickle the keypads of the mosstone, and the beat creates the melody in ways that never would be possible with sidrax/sidraw. i needed scales. i don’t like atonal music, sorry everyone. i like pretty things or very involved beats, heavily compressed.

i want to get another sidrax or tetrax, possibly, but i’m very happy with this combo.

best of luck with your decision! here’s a link to my recent explorations on instagram, lots of keyed mosstone + ciat on there...

https://www.instagram.com/disxiple_113

samule.edmoon
Common Wiggler

Post by samule.edmoon » Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:18 am

Montgomery Word wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:37 pm
allow me to further confuse things...

i had plumbutter and coco and a sidraw for a year. sidraw (sidrax knockoff by meng qi) was my “controlled chaos” of melodies, supposedly. i grew tired of the sid-way quickly. either i was ambient or too noisy. fast forward a year, i needed melody again with my plum and the coco! tried a shnth, but it’s a one way street kinda as far as directionality was concerned, so i decided to try the lorre mill keyed mosstone. at first it was a little daunting, finding out which ins/outs to avoid, since the KM can’t do dang negative voltages. but after some nice people scoped values for me in the ciat lonbarde group on facebook, i was off and running. now, i have keyed mosstone being sequenced by plumbutter AND cocoquantus, and ITSELF!

it’s an amazing instrument. very underrated, in a good way. i love the strong triangle tones. i love the woody nature of the keyed mosstone, especially when artifacts are introduced by the coco. plumbutter’s orange outs tickle the keypads of the mosstone, and the beat creates the melody in ways that never would be possible with sidrax/sidraw. i needed scales. i don’t like atonal music, sorry everyone. i like pretty things or very involved beats, heavily compressed.

i want to get another sidrax or tetrax, possibly, but i’m very happy with this combo.

best of luck with your decision! here’s a link to my recent explorations on instagram, lots of keyed mosstone + ciat on there...

https://www.instagram.com/disxiple_113
I’m no stranger to your gram but I must say, you sent me down the Lorre Mill rabbit hole and my future is looking mossy n knotted. What to sell? 😂😅

timeforest
Common Wiggler

Post by timeforest » Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:46 am

definitely been eyeing the mosstone for some time myself. i’m a fellow “i have sid but don’t use it a lot” person i suppose. i actually like it best as a modulation source for PB in conjunction with coco. patching up big soups with coco/sid and sending cv/audio rate signals to the PB mixer blues and module purples and making adjustments with sliders and master tune/chaos knobs yields a lot of textures and sounds and movement you cant get only with coco.

i also feel like sid works best if you don’t try to box it in- the nature of the envelopes/barres kinda precludes it being effective at reliably doing what you want so i think it’s more useful for accidents/textures/bursts of psychedelic noise than playing melodic bits or pads

samule.edmoon
Common Wiggler

Post by samule.edmoon » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:48 pm

timeforest wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:46 am
definitely been eyeing the mosstone for some time myself. i’m a fellow “i have sid but don’t use it a lot” person i suppose. i actually like it best as a modulation source for PB in conjunction with coco. patching up big soups with coco/sid and sending cv/audio rate signals to the PB mixer blues and module purples and making adjustments with sliders and master tune/chaos knobs yields a lot of textures and sounds and movement you cant get only with coco.

i also feel like sid works best if you don’t try to box it in- the nature of the envelopes/barres kinda precludes it being effective at reliably doing what you want so i think it’s more useful for accidents/textures/bursts of psychedelic noise than playing melodic bits or pads
Well said 👍 I have had some beautiful moments using Sid solo as a melody instrument, especially with some loopers and FX but I’m with you, it’s everything else about it that makes it shine! I need to get into more cross patching myself, I’ve done very little but it’s always been rewarding and worthwhile.

architexture
Common Wiggler

Post by architexture » Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:27 pm

I use a keyed mosstone with my plumbutter / coco combination and it's great. Just remember not to plug a brown into the mosstone.

samule.edmoon
Common Wiggler

Post by samule.edmoon » Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:31 pm

architexture wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:27 pm
I use a keyed mosstone with my plumbutter / coco combination and it's great. Just remember not to plug a brown into the mosstone.
I’ve been trying to find a Mosstone since first posting in here. No luck so far :(

architexture
Common Wiggler

Post by architexture » Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:33 pm

I see them on reverb frequently

samule.edmoon
Common Wiggler

Post by samule.edmoon » Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:53 pm

I’ve got notifications set but no luck so far 🤬

landmax
Common Wiggler

Post by landmax » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:34 am

architexture wrote:
I have a Coco 2 and a Mosstone. Is there anything from the Coco that I can't patch into the Mosstone?

I'm not very clued up on the voltages so any help greatly appreciated.

Montgomery Word
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Montgomery Word » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:58 am

landmax wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:34 am
architexture wrote:
I have a Coco 2 and a Mosstone. Is there anything from the Coco that I can't patch into the Mosstone?

Just the white audio goes negative on coco!

landmax
Common Wiggler

Post by landmax » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:25 am

Montgomery Word wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:58 am
landmax wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:34 am
architexture wrote:

Just the white audio goes negative on coco!
Great thanks.

dreamrobe
Common Wiggler

Post by dreamrobe » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:17 pm

I pair a Kilpatrick Phenol with a Plumbutter2 and a Macumbista Butterfly Benjolin.
I like that the Phenol accepts negative voltages also and it is a little bit more straight forward in concept than the other 2 instruments.

Noctopolis
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Noctopolis » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:16 am

dreamrobe wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:17 pm
I pair a Kilpatrick Phenol with a Plumbutter2 and a Macumbista Butterfly Benjolin.
I like that the Phenol accepts negative voltages also and it is a little bit more straight forward in concept than the other 2 instruments.
I’m trying to integrate a Phenol with my Plumbutter2 right now. Funnily enough I have a harder time with the Phenol than with the PB. Would love to see/hear some tips and tricks!
Recent album: Perelandra https://noctopolis.bandcamp.com/

Return to “Ciat-Lonbarde”