Deerhorn Organ questions

home of post-70s electronics

Moderators: Kent, bartlebooth

leftbracket
Common Wiggler

Deerhorn Organ questions

Post by leftbracket » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:37 pm

A longtime admirer of Peter B's philosophy and aesthetics, two years ago I acquired a Sidrax as my first foray into his gestalt on the excellent advice of this forum. It has took me by far the longest of any instrument acoustic or electronic that I have owned to master and start making full use of (I only began recording with it this summer), but my journey with it has been extremely fulfilling and prompted interest in cultivating a small family of pieces from the greater Synthmall collection.

Lately I have had my sights set on the Deerhorn Organ out of my predilection for cross-modulation, alternative controllers, and prehistoric aesthetics. I've extensively studied what little online documentation there is of the instrument, and what I've seen appeals to me, but I'm curious about who here uses the instrument regularly and what your experience working with it is like before I commit to the investment. I am particularly interested in the potential for cross-patching with Sidrax and using the auxiliary inputs; as someone who works a lot with audio feedback, I am very curious about the potential for gestural control of such structures. I considered Plumbutter as well for my purposes, given its wider array of sonics and modulation options, Deerhorn presence, and my on-off desire for dedicated analog filtering in a box, but ultimately despite its diversity I don't see much of a place for its more percussive leanings in my music (the Sidrax is plenty percussive for me).

Are any Deerhorn fans here willing to share their perspectives on working with the instrument and how it fits into a broader context?

Lapis_Elle
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Deerhorn Organ questions

Post by Lapis_Elle » Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:29 pm

I use the Deerhorn all over my stuff, and in a lot of my film and commercial work. It fits very easily into most of what I do, though most of my film work is in horror, and my music is very occult-y. I also use it in conjunction with a modular system, and a Tetrax organ. The Tetrax and Deerhorn work very very well together, and I'm assuming the same goes for the Sid.

leftbracket
Common Wiggler

Post by leftbracket » Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:29 pm

Thanks for your input. I actually just placed my order for the instrument, and I'm eagerly awaiting exploring it within my setup.

ookrsia
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ookrsia » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:08 am

Deerhorn Organ is the last Ciat instrument I would ever sell. It has a broken emotionality in its sound.

leftbracket
Common Wiggler

Post by leftbracket » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:58 pm

ookrsia wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:08 am
Deerhorn Organ is the last Ciat instrument I would ever sell. It has a broken emotionality in its sound.
I've been meaning to revive this thread now that I've owned the instrument for about a week, and this is a finer statement than any that I could've thought to say about it. It was a challenge to get the hang of playing initially, but it's an absolute joy to now that I feel that I have a good vocabulary of performance gestures and muscle memory around the antennae. Already playing it feels more rewarding than any other instrument, electronic or otherwise, has felt to me in ages. I have yet to interface it with my Sidrax, in part because I worry about long bananas making antenna access somewhat awkward, but I've been concocting quite a few patch ideas in the meantime before i decide to finally let them cross-pollinate. The only problem I'm facing around the instrument thus far is that the simple joy of playing it through a nice delay has reawakened my dormant Cocoquantus lust and got me wondering about what I could jettison to finance that purchase...

Return to “Ciat-Lonbarde”