Can't get into programming the shnth

home of post-70s electronics

Moderators: Kent, bartlebooth

wednesdayayay
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wednesdayayay » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:13 pm

windspirit wrote:Right, its cool. Honestly i think it would be neet if you could send other kinds of data from the shnth as well, like sending swoop and dust from the inside of the shnth brain while you are playing.
I have used the audio output on the shnth with success controlling both the plumbutter & cocoquantus
I remember I triggered the gongs, avdogs, flip and skip I was using bars and buttons

I think I used the corps as well

I don't remember if I tried using the salsa or swoops as outputs though

If the shnth had another 6 general purpose CV outputs (3 stereo jacks) it would be a monster
sh is the sound of data
bobo is the gesture

PB

VortexRanger
reticulating splines

Post by VortexRanger » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:42 pm

bartlebooth wrote: use a togo instead of a fixed number in the nume (or deno), put your chord sequence in as a sequence of values, then advance the togo with the button press. note you can use the same togo in all 3 oscillators with different values in each as long as they are the same length.
What?!! How come I never knew that, I have been making all kinds of unnecessary parallel togos!
we are hoping to have an updated matrix ready for the re-release of the shnth when it comes back in stock with some new opcodes..
Any new opcodes upcoming?

Also, I have sudden strange behavior in the HID data in Max, namely any negative value sent by the shnth shows up as, I assume, the largest number possible in Max. It's a 4 followed by a bunch of other digits.

Perhaps related: my minord button is stuck, doesn't physically move.
:hobbes:

VortexRanger
reticulating splines

Post by VortexRanger » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:43 pm

wednesdayayay wrote: If the shnth had another 6 general purpose CV outputs (3 stereo jacks) it would be a monster
I have often thought that. Splitting it into audio and CV works but isn't quite as satisfying!

bartlebooth
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bartlebooth » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:57 pm

VortexRanger wrote:
bartlebooth wrote: use a togo instead of a fixed number in the nume (or deno), put your chord sequence in as a sequence of values, then advance the togo with the button press. note you can use the same togo in all 3 oscillators with different values in each as long as they are the same length.
What?!! How come I never knew that, I have been making all kinds of unnecessary parallel togos!
we are hoping to have an updated matrix ready for the re-release of the shnth when it comes back in stock with some new opcodes..

Also, I have sudden strange behavior in the HID data in Max, namely any negative value sent by the shnth shows up as, I assume, the largest number possible in Max. It's a 4 followed by a bunch of other digits.

for your minord button - yeah the cnc'd holes for the buttons are a pretty tight fit sometimes. try slightly loosening the screws(s) on that bar and then free the button and then reseat the bar.. you may have to physically nudge the button clear while you re-tighten the screws. with a little patience you should be able to get it. an alternative approach is to take a round file and just file out the hole a bit more so its not so tight of a fit.

VortexRanger
reticulating splines

Post by VortexRanger » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:47 pm

bartlebooth wrote:
VortexRanger wrote:

for your minord button - yeah the cnc'd holes for the buttons are a pretty tight fit sometimes. try slightly loosening the screws(s) on that bar and then free the button and then reseat the bar.. you may have to physically nudge the button clear while you re-tighten the screws. with a little patience you should be able to get it. an alternative approach is to take a round file and just file out the hole a bit more so its not so tight of a fit.
Ah, thank you, I will try that!

VortexRanger
reticulating splines

Post by VortexRanger » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:48 am

bartlebooth wrote:
VortexRanger wrote:

Update: I loosened and retightened the barre, and the button now works perfectly again. Thanks for that quick reply bartlebooth!

Still wondering if there are more opcodes on the way, or better yet a Sh'mance?

bartlebooth
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bartlebooth » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:20 am

yeah peter is working on sh'mance (among many other things), its still early days though http://petermopar.blogspot.com/2015/01/ ... uartz.html

VortexRanger
reticulating splines

Post by VortexRanger » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:58 pm

bartlebooth wrote:yeah peter is working on sh'mance (among many other things), its still early days though http://petermopar.blogspot.com/2015/01/ ... uartz.html
Kewl!

wednesdayayay
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wednesdayayay » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:50 am

my wife and I do a teens after school program that is mainly middle schoolers right now. We have a van that we use to pick up and drop off kids that I recently discovered has a line input jack for the stereo system. I brought my shnth and some tasty bowls (not too noisey simple nicely tuned things I've posted here) to my surprise not just one of the kids really took to it but they all ask for turns with it.
:waah: I didn't think driving around picking up kids could be so fun

this of course has inspired more fishing lately which has led me to
a simple button driven 4 osc synth for the shnth

the four buttons on the left turn the oscs on individually (maj & min on L audio out and majb & minb on R audio out)

the four buttons on the right represent the tuners for all of the oscs

I used [return] & [and] for button logic

between the base note and all the button configurations there are 16 potential notes for each osc

I'll post stuff when I get this one finished
sh is the sound of data
bobo is the gesture

PB

wednesdayayay
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wednesdayayay » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:10 pm

here are a couple things I've been working on
I intended to have the ability to jump between patches bet some did not have enough space (the last still is a bit warbly at times) and I didn't want to mess with the tunings

the first uses all 8 buttons
majA&B sound the individual saws
minA&B change the deno
MAJ C&D MIN C&D change the nume in various ways
15 pitches per osc with the nume modulations plus the octave switching allows for decent coverage with just 8 buttons

I have several working mutations of this original patch that I may post

in the second bowl I tuned the shnth (using meng qi's max app) to C#3 then I used my strobe tuner and tried to get as close as possible to individual notes

if you want traditional tuning on the shnth this is a pretty decent start

the next bowl is just a foggy musing using these tunings for a C#F# howl

the last bowl adds a third note to the 3rd patch of fog

some of the submodule type workings on the last two patches came from ideas used in the first patch

[salsa [togo]] is an interesting combo
togo'ing togos is used in the horn deno (within the fog) of the 3rd voice in the last patch

the tunings present previously are workable but they are fairly consistently off by -20 cents or so

I'm not sure how much the short opcode adds processing wise though
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sh is the sound of data
bobo is the gesture

PB

wednesdayayay
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wednesdayayay » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:20 pm

I'll try to get a video

I have been playing with samplr (ipad) and the shnth for a couple days and it is a nice compact setup
sh is the sound of data
bobo is the gesture

PB

secretkillerofnames
Veteran Wiggler

Post by secretkillerofnames » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:47 pm

wednesdayayay wrote:I'll try to get a video

I have been playing with samplr (ipad) and the shnth for a couple days and it is a nice compact setup
Good choice!
I have a Loopstation I use sometimes as well - nice for layering.

wednesdayayay
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wednesdayayay » Wed May 06, 2015 5:47 am

[video][/video]

EDIT: see shnth patch thread for more info

here is a video of the first bowl I was describing in my last post button synth

[video][/video]

Steamchaser is about slewing counters
counters countings oscs
4 oscs who can be retuned using the buttons
the same retuning effects the amplitude by slewing (from another osc up slew amount and another osc for down slew amount) a counter (of the last other osc)

both of these videos were recorded with the audio out from the shnth directly into the camera so I couldn't hear anything while recording

I have another video that is just about to start getting uploaded too
Last edited by wednesdayayay on Wed May 20, 2015 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
sh is the sound of data
bobo is the gesture

PB

Dirty_Bill
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Dirty_Bill » Wed May 06, 2015 10:02 am

Wow, Paul you are becoming our deficit Shnth programming master. I picked up one of these finally, and now I have ANOTHER learning curve to climb... Thanks for sharing these!

wednesdayayay
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wednesdayayay » Wed May 06, 2015 11:46 am

[video][/video]

8 osc

each individual osc controls an upton of one and donton of another wheel (by squaring)

the buttons change the tunings of the oscs

the wheels change the amplitude of the oscs (a wheel who is not being influenced by the same osc which it provides amplitude for)

there are some water filters in here as well being controlled by a other non self influenced wheel (not the same as the amplitude per osc). The Q is also modulated by another wheel
Last edited by wednesdayayay on Wed May 20, 2015 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
sh is the sound of data
bobo is the gesture

PB

Mashmore
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Mashmore » Wed May 06, 2015 11:58 am

Thanks for sharing wed. Will give this a go in a few. The coco is pushing me ever so gently back to the shnth. Fairly simply patches but these are a few bowls i have been working on this week.

Cheers.

;1comb
{(srate (short 67 24 ))(jump (minor 1 ))(left (right (comb (horn 64 16 (bar ))1 122 127 )
(combb (hornb 72 15 (barb ))1 122 127 )
(combc (hornc 96 16 (barc ))1 122 127 )
(combd (hornd 127 18 (bard ))1 122 127 )))};2comb
{(srate (short 67 24 ))(jump (minor 1 ))
(left (right (comb (horn 72 16 (bar ))1 122 127 )
(combb (hornb 80 15 (barb ))1 122 127 )
(combc (hornc 96 16 (barc ))1 122 127 )
(combd (hornd 64 16 (bard ))1 122 127 )))};3sawcorp
{
(jump (minor 1 ))(srate (short 67 24 ))
((left (right (comb (saucee 6 (saw 72 16 (slewf (bar )127 12 )))1 127 (corpb ))
(combb (saucef 6 (sawb 80 15 (slewg (barb )122 12 )))1 122 (corpb ))
(combc (sauceg 6 (sawc 96 16 (slewh (barc )122 12 )))1 122 (corpb ))
(combd (sauceh 6 (sawc 64 16 (slew (bard )122 12 )))1 122 (corpb )))))
};3combsaw
(left (right (comb (saw 72 16 (bar ))1 122 127 )
(combb (sawb 80 15 (barb ))1 122 127 )
(combc (sawc 96 16 (barc ))1 122 127 )
(combd (sawd 64 16 (bard ))1 122 127 )))};3comb
(left (right (comb (saw 100 15 (bar ))1 122 127 )
(combb (sawb 80 16 (barb ))1 122 127 )
(combc (sawc 80 15 (barc ))1 122 127 )
(combd (sawd 64 16 (bard ))1 122 127 )))}

kozepz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by kozepz » Wed May 06, 2015 12:30 pm

:tu: Thanks guys!
I'm also getting back into the shnth.
Just downloaded fish again and saw there was a new preset file :goo:

Mashmore
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Mashmore » Wed May 06, 2015 1:29 pm

kozepz wrote::tu: Thanks guys!
:bananaguitar: great to hear k.o. I demand to see some of your fish! ;) I'm going to have to check out this new preset file of which you speak.

kozepz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by kozepz » Wed May 06, 2015 1:38 pm

Mashmore wrote:
kozepz wrote::tu: Thanks guys!
:bananaguitar: great to hear k.o. I demand to see some of your fish! ;) I'm going to have to check out this new preset file of which you speak.
The new file is great, some awesome patches.

I'd like to make bowls for dub tracks with the coco. Some basic percussion, chords and fx and then re-looping it into the cocos, playing on top of it.
Something basic like this. Now I have to fish it together :hmm:

Dirty_Bill
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Dirty_Bill » Fri May 08, 2015 10:05 am

Although I would suggest, perhaps all these posts with great SHNTH patches SHOULDN'T be in the 'Can't get into programming the shnth' thread!

We should have a STICKY for SHNTH patches.

mataiotechnia
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mataiotechnia » Wed May 20, 2015 2:52 am

Hi Everyone!
Is there some way to trigger JUMP with combination of two MAJOR or MINOR buttons? I used TAR to jump, but sometimes i need to reset CORPS (i hope you understand) and i use MINORS and MAJORS alot...so i will be happy if there is possibility to not loose any of them...
Thaks!
Greetings!

+1 for STICKY SHNTH :yay:

wednesdayayay
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wednesdayayay » Wed May 20, 2015 5:53 am

if you take a look at my 2 osc multibutton bowl I posted above you will see what you are after I suspect

I use two kinds of button combination
through
[and] & [return] ([xor] can also be used)

let the 0's and 1' below represent button presses in combination using the opcode stated above its table of truth

[and] from your description this is the one you'll want

00 = off

10 = off

01 = off

11 = on

the output here is the same as if a single button were present
therefore it will trigger things like zither/water but you can also mul it together with other things for a modulation source

[return] with return the 'inn' switches around 'oth'

00 = off

10 = on

01 = off

11 = off

the benefit here is that if you hold down the oth button before pressing the inn it will not "sound" but as soon as you let go of oth it "sounds" this is a great opcode for combinational button presses and was used extensively in my 2 osc bowl posted above (which still needs a lot of tuning and retuning)

[xor] I didn't use although I didn't really think of it until just now but simply "sounds" whenever either input is active by themselves

00 = off

10 = on

01 = on

11 = off

also if you want to make the combinational check even more difficult just do some nesting

ie
([and] minorc ([and] majorc ([and] marjord minord))) would require all the C&D buttons to be depressed in any order to "sound" (not vogon poetry)

Hope this helps
sh is the sound of data
bobo is the gesture

PB

mataiotechnia
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mataiotechnia » Wed May 20, 2015 3:12 pm

Thank You very much! :hail:

indeepp
Learning to Wiggle

Post by indeepp » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:56 am

Dirty_Bill wrote:Although I would suggest, perhaps all these posts with great SHNTH patches SHOULDN'T be in the 'Can't get into programming the shnth' thread!

We should have a STICKY for SHNTH patches.
I agree, SHNTH patches and discussion.
Im going to up some of my patches, i have done this basically by modifying, the originals one that came with the fish app. Im getting some interesting sounds out the ones i have made from scratch. I find programming in shlisp is a way to get to know the instrument and all the variables within.

secretkillerofnames
Veteran Wiggler

Post by secretkillerofnames » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:24 pm

"Joy Of Coding" Humble Bundle features "Land of Lisp" in the $8 tier.
I've found it very hard going programming my Shnth.
I'm wondering if this book might help me get my head around Shlisp?

Return to “Ciat-Lonbarde”