Lil Sidrassi Paper Circuit

home of post-70s electronics

Moderators: Kent, bartlebooth

Kalerne
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Kalerne » Wed May 13, 2015 9:02 pm

Thanks !
Actually, I don't like buying components online, because shipping is expensive (I'm in Taiwan). So I went to local shops, and they didn't have 1W LM386, only LM386N1 (which is .325W) so I thought I wouldn't have enough power for a speaker and only used a line out.
I really like the look of it with these nails. I should make a Lil Sidrassi with an instruments of Taiwanese medium such as this one :-) :

Kalerne
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Kalerne » Wed May 13, 2015 9:13 pm

Thanks fluxmonkey !

Did someone build Mr Grassi ? Or Nobsrine ? Gerassic Organ ?

ClausF
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ClausF » Thu May 14, 2015 3:03 am

Build none of them, but Madam Brasser and Master Brando, which are DDDM2 if you put them together, see Ciat Lonbarde web page. But I did not use the paper circuit, I bought a PCB from Meng Qi, you can find him here.

I build all the Rollz-5 Circuits on paper, these are lot of fun...

Kalerne
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Kalerne » Sun May 24, 2015 10:25 am

ClausF : Thanks for the hint, I just ordered the PCBs from Mengqi. :)
Do you have some pictures/sounds/video of your Rollz-5 ?

Meanwhile... my Lil Sidrassi got a box and a decagram !

thresholdpeople
Veteran Wiggler

Post by thresholdpeople » Sun May 24, 2015 10:32 am

Great looking box Kalerne!

and I just looked into Madame Brasser and Master Brando. Thanks for the tip ClausF! These might be next!

ym2612
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ym2612 » Sun May 24, 2015 11:19 am

:woah: That Lil Sid looks fantastic! Mine is in an ugly plastic art box with brass hooks for the contacts. I would like to do something nicer, and wooden, with my Fourses.

Kalerne
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Kalerne » Sun May 24, 2015 9:59 pm

Thanks thresholdpeople & ym2612 ! :oops:
And let us see/hear your Fourses !

ClausF
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ClausF » Mon May 25, 2015 3:06 am

Kalerne wrote:Do you have some pictures/sounds/video of your Rollz-5 ?
Only an old picture, recorded no clips. 4 Rollz, Ultrasound & AVDog. Plus an experimental roll on the upper left. That was before the Gongue, which is still untested.
I nailed (yes, nailed) the circuits on a wood plate and connected them with croco cables. This is still the status of this "project", I never build more rolls or a case, because I decided to buy a PB2...
...in my case these paper circuits where good promotion for the commercial product... :guinness:

ClausF
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ClausF » Mon May 25, 2015 3:09 am

BTW: Kalerne, this Lil Sidrassi in the wood box looks great... :yay:

Kalerne
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Kalerne » Mon May 25, 2015 3:23 am

Thanks ! This looks very interesting too ! Exciting - I wish I could have someone teaching me electronics based on these circuits...

VauxFlores
Common Wiggler

Post by VauxFlores » Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:10 am

Wow - this thread is making me all nostalgic! I actually just got rid of mt first Lil Sid build last week. I built it like 9 years ago and after unearthing it from storage, I realized it was just a little too rustic to rehouse and a little too dangerous to leave around the house. There's something about wooden boxes with nails for contact points and babies that just didn't sit right. Think I'll start the little one off on knobs first. Or at the very least, a safer Sidrassi.

muncky
Ultra Wiggler

Post by muncky » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:37 pm

This lovely thread got me soldering a Lil Sid (nr 1 nearly done). Few queries for those that have gone before...

- what's the best way to have the circuit going both to a line out and the speaker? (I'm feeling dense asking...!)
- if one wanted to, is there a neat way to have two Lil Sids play together in one box?
- kalerne - love that box! Don't suppose you could direct me to the pins you used on that box?

thresholdpeople
Veteran Wiggler

Post by thresholdpeople » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:52 pm

I used the speaker output as my line out. The speaker I had laying around didn't work well... it was most likely the speaker though. You should be able to send the same signal to both -- the signal level out of the amp is good for line level.

In order to get two Sids playing together, all they'd need is to share ground.

Dirty_Bill
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Dirty_Bill » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:47 pm

I have both a jack and a line out which are selectable by a switch, shared the (square pad ) connector and switched the (round pad)...

Kalerne
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Kalerne » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:03 pm

muncky wrote: - kalerne - love that box! Don't suppose you could direct me to the pins you used on that box?
Hi Muncky. The pins are just brass nails that I had, the kind with round head used for small decoration DIY. I also planned to do bigger box with different circuit paper inside, twin lil' sounds a good idea !

muncky
Ultra Wiggler

Post by muncky » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:10 am

Fantastic! Thanks all - will report back in due course...

indeepp
Learning to Wiggle

Post by indeepp » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:24 pm

Nostalgia is the word.
I have build my first lilsid 8 years, and so far i have built 4, also i have a rollz5 wich is currently in the shop (avdog and gong busted), i have also a fourses kit netkit and a shynth.
Im going to take the fourses tarp as next project soon i end my benjolin.

Flatwoods Monster
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Flatwoods Monster » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:29 pm

I can definitely recommend using brass thumb-tacks as touch-plates for these ciat-lonbarde projects. You can push them through a box and solder right onto the pointy bit.

This is an Old Mr Grassi paper-circuit built that way, using a VHS box (click on the photo for bigness)

https://mel.myturn.com/library/inventory/show/40402

thresholdpeople
Veteran Wiggler

Post by thresholdpeople » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:48 pm

Wow, having it in the VHS box looks great. Looks like you have a few more CL circuits, and other gear, done that way.

...The Musical Electronics Library. What an awesome thing! Wish I was in Auckland to check it out.

Flatwoods Monster
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Flatwoods Monster » Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:10 am

Yeah most of our stuff is built into VHS cases. It makes sense for a lot of reasons: cheap, light, reasonably sturdy, easy to change battery, looks cool, and -- most importantly for a library -- fits well on a shelf.

I have to say that Peter B's awesome attitude toward sharing his designs was one of the inspirations for the library.

We have opened a library in Wellington as well. They have my Rollz-5. It would be great to get other libraries started, in other cities, and countries!

kingmaxwell
Common Wiggler

Post by kingmaxwell » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:38 am

I just finished my Lil Sidrassi last night. Plugged it in and worked right off the jump. I wanted to thank Kalerne for the idea with the brass tacks. I used furniture finishing tacks and it was a smooth construction and cool finger feel.

Has anyone replaced some resistors with pots to experiment?
Last edited by kingmaxwell on Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

sungja
Wiggling with Experience

Post by sungja » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:26 am

I put different value capacitors on some switches and found the little sidrassi to be much more versatile and playable that way. I guess power starvation would be funny too.

dJiNN
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dJiNN » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:02 pm

So I am pretty inexperienced and am just starting my soldering career. On a scale of 1-10 how hard is it to construct a lil sidrassi paper circuit? I could probably have a friend who is experienced in soldering help me through it as well.

ClausF
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ClausF » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:12 am

Soldering is not the big problem here, more concentration. The pix here are very big, but in reality this thing is small and you have to concentrate on the many open ends...

Maybe start with a few rolls, they are smaller and connect to a bigger thing...

thresholdpeople
Veteran Wiggler

Post by thresholdpeople » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:43 am

I'd say go for it.

The soldering isn't too hard, and the stakes are pretty low -- only a few dollars in parts, and no PCB.

Return to “Ciat-Lonbarde”