Lil Sidrassi Paper Circuit

home of post-70s electronics

Moderators: Kent, bartlebooth

dJiNN
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dJiNN » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:09 pm

Thanks for the insight! I'll probably do some rollz first and move on.

ClausF
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ClausF » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:48 pm

Ok, refer to the Roolz-5 paper to connect them and have fun!
:guinness:

Dirty_Bill
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Dirty_Bill » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:31 am

dJiNN wrote:Thanks for the insight! I'll probably do some rollz first and move on.
The little Rollz will get you used to the bending o leads and running of circuits. It can be a little hard to tell if they're working though...

indeepp
Learning to Wiggle

Post by indeepp » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:50 am

I love the idea of paper circuits, its an unique way to explore the world of electronics

Kalerne
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Kalerne » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:13 am

a Macumbista Soundbox is the perfect companion for a Lil'Sidrassi !

[video][/video]

gnome666
Common Wiggler

do the tacks need to be brass?

Post by gnome666 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:11 pm

about to embark on my first build and was wondering if I can use any old metal, or if it needs to be brass. thanks!

thresholdpeople
Veteran Wiggler

Post by thresholdpeople » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:43 am

Any metal will work but you can't solder to steel or the like. Brass or copper, you can. You can always create a different type of connection, like a quick disconnect connector that gets screwed into your metal of choice.

gnome666
Common Wiggler

Post by gnome666 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:47 am

thresholdpeople wrote:Any metal will work but you can't solder to steel or the like. Brass or copper, you can. You can always create a different type of connection, like a quick disconnect connector that gets screwed into your metal of choice.
THANKS! It's off to Home Depot I go. :nana:

s'mores
Common Wiggler

Post by s'mores » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:53 pm

it might also be helpful to look at a chart showing the conductivity of various metals. these circuits are VERY sensitive so even a metal with a lower conductivity rating will work! i was thinking it would be cool to build a few paper circuits with magnetic patching capabilities...

southphillysynths
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by southphillysynths » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:06 pm

I have been having some serious GAS for a Plumbutter 2 lately...

I wanted to learn more about the instrument and Peter B in general.

Finding this has blown my mind! I love every single thing about these paper circuits. Digging around the Website I have found almost every one pictured here!

I hope to try and build some of these while I save to buy some of these instruments...
Dcramer wrote:"Not all who wiggle are lost" :boat:
WHO IS BOZO TEXINO?!?!

nrrrd
Common Wiggler

Post by nrrrd » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:53 am

Thread resurrection!

I'm thinking of building a Lil' Sidrassi as my first Ciat-Lonbarde circuit. I'm attracted by its simplicity, cheapness and I'll probably be able to build it in an evening.

However, I'm a tinkerer, so I'd like to "improve" it. I'll either use tuning caps or switches to choose two different caps.

Also, I've read somewhere that the order of the capacitors around the ring affects the tone of the instrument, as different oscillators are modulating the other oscillators.

So, I'd like to add patch points to change the order of the oscillators.
Looking at the schematic, I think the place to put them is between the junction of the hairy capacitor and the NPN transistor. Can someone with experience confirm this, please?

Thanks! I'll post a pic and some sounds when it's done.

Repeater
Phantom Powers

Post by Repeater » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:38 am

You can use the existing touch nodes as patch points within the instrument as is. Definitely worthwhile to experiment with.

Adding switches to change the values of the hairy caps can effectively do close to the same thing as changing the order for less effort and cable clutter as the only variations between oscillators (depending on your build of course) are their cap values. I used some 10 position rotary switches to alter cap values in my Sid build. Don't let me put the brakes on your experimentation though.

Here's the schematic that I'm looking at:

I don't see any node where the hairy caps are connected to NPNs. If you cut the trace between the PNP emitter and the hairy cap, your oscillators probably won't oscillate.

Here's some information about how the oscillators in this circuit work: http://www.learningaboutelectronics.com ... istors.php

Compare that with Peter's schematic. To me it looks like he put five of them in a loop, rebiased them slightly and added the touch pads.

If you want to break up the sections with patch cords, I would recommend cutting the traces in each section that connect the .1uF non-polarized cap to the node that connects the square touch pad, 1M to ground and 470K. Surely there are some other spots that will give you interesting results as well.
nrrrd wrote:Thread resurrection!

I'm thinking of building a Lil' Sidrassi as my first Ciat-Lonbarde circuit. I'm attracted by its simplicity, cheapness and I'll probably be able to build it in an evening.

However, I'm a tinkerer, so I'd like to "improve" it. I'll either use tuning caps or switches to choose two different caps.

Also, I've read somewhere that the order of the capacitors around the ring affects the tone of the instrument, as different oscillators are modulating the other oscillators.

So, I'd like to add patch points to change the order of the oscillators.
Looking at the schematic, I think the place to put them is between the junction of the hairy capacitor and the NPN transistor. Can someone with experience confirm this, please?

Thanks! I'll post a pic and some sounds when it's done.

nrrrd
Common Wiggler

Post by nrrrd » Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:58 pm

Thanks for the detailed reply.
I'm working from the paper circuit, and I thought this point might be a place to break with a patch cord:

I've now realised that that is just connecting everything to ground. :doh:

Thanks for the schematic, that's easier to follow than the paper circuit. I'll build a single oscillator on breadboard and see what happens.

Edit: urrgh, something gone wrong with the alpha channel. Sorry.

nrrrd
Common Wiggler

Post by nrrrd » Thu May 02, 2019 2:06 pm

So, I've been looking at this circuit, on and off, for about a month and I only realised yesterday that the only way to transmit the signal from the oscillators to the amplifier is through your fingers - i.e. you are part of the circuit.

Doh! I think just having patch cables to the amplifier, switches for the capacitors and pots as variable resistors will be enough features for this little circuit. I'll see if I can cram a PT2309 delay on the board as well (basically the Monotron delay circuit).

lobra
Common Wiggler

Post by lobra » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:18 pm

about to build one of these and was wondering if anyone tried using any pots in place of resisters? also anybody pair this with the ultrasound filter? was thinking it would work similar to the old mr grassi

Patljuchte
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Patljuchte » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:11 am

I just built one of these and while the build itself was pretty straightforward, it doesn't seem to work properly. I do get a loud hum when touching the speaker wire and I can generate rhythmic patterns but there is almost no variation and touching the wires doesn't really do anything. How important is it to connect the wires to touch nodes made out of metal? I haven't done that yet.
I tried the suggested values for the hairy caps and decreased the values clockwise. Did anyone run into similar problems?

Patljuchte
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Patljuchte » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:12 am

So, I built another one and they both kind of work now, though the behaviour of the modulation is strange sometimes. I'm beginning to get the hang of it slowly. But there is another phenomenon, I can't really explain: In certain configurations, when I play my recently build Lorre Mill uTone next to the circuit, with no physical connection whatsoever, the lil sidrassis pick up the uTone signal loud and clear and play it back through the output, albeit modulated? Is this some kind of radio frequency thing?

Return to “Ciat-Lonbarde”