Cocoquantus chaos knob - what's it do past center?

home of post-70s electronics

Moderators: Kent, bartlebooth

pugix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Cocoquantus chaos knob - what's it do past center?

Post by pugix » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:08 am

Despite all my study of Cocoquantus, I still don't understand how the Chaos pot works. From the schematic, it's clear that the pot controls the depth of cross modulation of all the Quantussy oscillators, by means of a VCA. Fully anti-clockwise there is no cross modulation. Going up to the center point increases the depths of modulation. But going past the center enters a zone of some sort of freezing, it seems. What's going on there?
Richard
https://www.pugix.com

FS: US only - Mutable Instruments Streams

"Everything in our world is actually always modulated by everything else." - Peter B

Hainbach
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hainbach » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:13 am

I am guessing that like the chaos knob on the Sidrax the crossmodulation gets akin to white noise. Using that to modulate anything results in the freezing.

pugix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pugix » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:34 am

Well, it looks like I need to start investigating this with a scope.
Richard

"Everything in our world is actually always modulated by everything else." - Peter B

pugix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pugix » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:04 pm

I did put the scope on the Quantussy triangle outputs. It's in start up mode (all green LEDs on), so the five are cross modulating in a ring. Past center on the Chaos knob, they all freeze, but not all in the same way. I saw four just stop at the level they were at, while another one kept oscillating at a steady frequency.

I still don't understand it, but this behavior will be useful in a performance I'll be doing tomorrow night.
Richard

windspirit
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by windspirit » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:20 am

I contacted peter awhile ago about this. While he did not explain why it happened he said it was normal behavior.

pugix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pugix » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:17 am

I wonder if anyone has added a CV input for the Chaos function, like on the Sidrax. It shouldn't be that hard, because the knob simply controls five VCAs in parallel. Could be as simple as adding some resistors and an input jack or brass screw.
Richard

knows
Common Wiggler

Post by knows » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:17 pm

So, the chaos knob cross modulates the quantussy without anything patched?
If so, how does having it patched up influence the chaos?

pugix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pugix » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:28 am

knows wrote:So, the chaos knob cross modulates the quantussy without anything patched?
Yes, the cross modulations are patched by CMOS analog switches that are controlled by the states of the center nacel of lights. You can patch the oscillator outputs (triangle and re-castled sample & hold) over to the delays (or to a modular, etc.), and you can patch into the CV inputs, but the cross modulations are not patchable, just switchable.

The only patch that impacts the chaos is patching into the five nacel inputs. These act as gates which cycle the CMOS switches through their states. But you don't need to patch anything into those to get chaos. Those do change the patterns of the chaos. But I hardly ever patch into them, because any one of those combinations is sufficient to produce very complex patterns.
Richard

knows
Common Wiggler

Post by knows » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:03 am

pugix wrote:
knows wrote:So, the chaos knob cross modulates the quantussy without anything patched?
Yes, the cross modulations are patched by CMOS analog switches that are controlled by the states of the center nacel of lights. You can patch the oscillator outputs (triangle and re-castled sample & hold) over to the delays (or to a modular, etc.), and you can patch into the CV inputs, but the cross modulations are not patchable, just switchable.

The only patch that impacts the chaos is patching into the five nacel inputs. These act as gates which cycle the CMOS switches through their states. But you don't need to patch anything into those to get chaos. Those do change the patterns of the chaos. But I hardly ever patch into them, because any one of those combinations is sufficient to produce very complex patterns.
Great response! A nice balance from Peter's strange description of his instrument.

0netwo0netwo
Veteran Wiggler

Re:

Post by 0netwo0netwo » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:07 pm

pugix wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:28 am

What does “nacel” mean please??

pugix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Re:

Post by pugix » Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:29 pm

0netwo0netwo wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:07 pm
pugix wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:28 am

What does “nacel” mean please??
The nacel refers to the central cluster of five triple LEDs (red, blue, and yellow/green) and the five patch points associated with them. The patch points, which are brass screws on coco v1 and banana jacks on v2, are inputs that can be used to cycle through the eight states of the three colors representing a three bit binary value. Patch one of the triangle wave outputs at a low frequency into one of those and watch the lights do a binary count.
Richard

0netwo0netwo
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Cocoquantus chaos knob - what's it do past center?

Post by 0netwo0netwo » Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:52 pm

Sweet new vocabulary word

Thank you!

The Grump
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Cocoquantus chaos knob - what's it do past center?

Post by The Grump » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:44 pm

Patching into the nacels can do delightfully crazy things!

Return to “Ciat-Lonbarde”