home of post-70s electronics

Moderators: Kent, bartlebooth

eyeiaye
Wiggling with Experience

Re: COCOQUANTUS 2 "GETTING STARTED MANUAL"

Post by eyeiaye » Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:26 pm

mrbloor wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:58 am

I didn't really get the Coco at first, I loved the sound and the accessibility but couldn't work out what was going on. I'd recommend ignoring the quantussy section until you get a handle on freezing audio, pitching & overdubbing. Then introduce the quantussy on a single frozen note to see how it reacts, then your off. I'd add that I have a v1 with nodes rather than nana sockets, I'd suggest putting some bare nana pins in and try playing it with touch first.
Wow what a fantastic response. Thank you so much for the Time on this.

You recommended bare Banana pins. On mouser how might I search for these? I have seen some push button versions online, wondering if that is what you are talking about but never saw/found any for sale/

Thanks again

mrbloor
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mrbloor » Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:14 am

These are cheap enough 4mm banana plug

Remove the plastic insulation & you have touchable nodes.

Yloopz
Common Wiggler

Post by Yloopz » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:06 am

oke, used the coco with a live set last Friday and it was just awesome! Works really well for those ambient background drones and weird noise thingies. One question I couldn't find. I used the audio coming out of my modular into the coco with an output module in between because I was scared to use a modular line level signal. Is it allright to use a modular level signal or is it to 'hot'. I used both the left stereo in and the piezo in that way...

Next step to make a converter box for those Eurorack/banana combination.
My imagination is my inspiration...
Instagram: @jungleofwires

The Grump
Veteran Wiggler

Post by The Grump » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:44 pm

mrbloor wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:14 am
These are cheap enough 4mm banana plug

Remove the plastic insulation & you have touchable nodes.
Another option are these 3.5mm banana ends. I use the males as they just drop down into the sockets, but are also easily removed if you feel you REALLY have leave a cable in there. Just pull them out with your fingertips, or the CQ over and they just drop out of the sockets.) Some of the 4mm cable ends will also sort of sit or balance in the males, some more haphazardly, though I find this strangely enjoyable, because sometimes some pretty amazing and happy accidents take place. You can also easily use alligator clips with them, capturing some of the OG vibe, which can influence your interactions more than you might think. I have full sized ends in the Ins, Outs, Flips, and Skips of the Cocos, as well as the Mic and Piezo outs, and I have tried to use the full sized ends on the Quantussy, but the vibe is rather different, and not as fun, as it's rather awkward to reach the switches, knobs, and lock buttons with free digits while performing the requisite finger gymnastics and contortions required to effectively navigate the deeper dimensions which the Transdimensional Portal Key (CQ2) can unlock.

namon
Common Wiggler

Post by namon » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:31 pm

Yloopz wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:06 am
Is it allright to use a modular level signal or is it to 'hot'. I used both the left stereo in and the piezo in that way...

I have never had any problem running euro into cocos.
And a conversion box is pretty grand. It really helps with being able to tie time wise the different instruments together. I have one of the low gains, and am pretty set on having another.

The Grump
Veteran Wiggler

Post by The Grump » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:35 am

namon wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:31 pm
Yloopz wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:06 am
Is it allright to use a modular level signal or is it to 'hot'. I used both the left stereo in and the piezo in that way...

I have never had any problem running euro into cocos.
And a conversion box is pretty grand. It really helps with being able to tie time wise the different instruments together. I have one of the low gains, and am pretty set on having another.
Just make sure that your Euro and CL gear have a common ground or you may burn things up. No bueno. That said, I have a great time using my Transdimensional Portal Key with my Euro stuff. I don't use any converter boxes, I just connect a ground wire and then chop a Euro cable and attach a banana plug to the center wire that goes to the tip on the other end, and it's all gravy.

namon
Common Wiggler

Post by namon » Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:57 am

Oh yah, most definitely got to stay grounded :) good reminder.

0netwo0netwo
Veteran Wiggler

Post by 0netwo0netwo » Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:46 pm

mrbloor wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:44 pm
read this

this

then this

then this

specifically Richard's comment (Pugix).

:party:
Read em and im still scared :eek:

0netwo0netwo
Veteran Wiggler

Post by 0netwo0netwo » Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:03 pm

timeforest wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:34 am
ok i lied- another question :)

what’s the best way to get external outputs into cq? i haven’t even tried yet because i’m so absorbed with the quantussy but i may try lining in op1 tonight. op1 has a 1/8 mono out, should i line into the piezo and stack the banana out to monitor both channels? can you do that with the stereo inputs or do i need a y cable (also can’t seem to find any 1/8 to 1/8 male y cables anywhere). thanks for the continued help!
Im pretty sure the op1 outputs in stereo, no??

namon
Common Wiggler

Post by namon » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:44 pm

It sure does!
Also, heeeeeeeeeeeeey bay area buddy!

Boodaleechees
is banned
is banned

Post by Boodaleechees » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:57 am

The Grump wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:35 am

Just make sure that your Euro and CL gear have a common ground or you may burn things up. No bueno. That said, I have a great time using my Transdimensional Portal Key with my Euro stuff. I don't use any converter boxes, I just connect a ground wire and then chop a Euro cable and attach a banana plug to the center wire that goes to the tip on the other end, and it's all gravy.
Ciat-Newb and electrical ignoramus here- when you say common ground, does that mean having your eurorack and ciat-gear plugged into the same power strip, or something else?

The Grump
Veteran Wiggler

Post by The Grump » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:39 pm

Boodaleechees wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:57 am
The Grump wrote:

Ciat-Newb and electrical ignoramus here- when you say common ground, does that mean having your eurorack and ciat-gear plugged into the same power strip, or something else?
On the side of your CQ2 is a black socket. That is your ground. You must connect that to the ground of your Euro gear. Most Euro power distros will have a ground point on the board. I use a banana plug with an alligator ended wire to connect them. The sleeve on any euro cable is ground, and so as long as you leave cable plugged in somewhere you can alligator that that as well, but you risk unplugging the cable by accident and that could be bad. As long as the ground is connected, you should be ok, although you'll also want to make sure that the signals from your Euro gear are rectified. CL only uses positive swing currents, +0-9v. So, if you're coming out of say a MATHS, you'll either want to be sure that all of your attenuverters are set to positive, or use the OR out if summing. The EOR and EOC outs are also super usesful with the CQ. You'll see. ;)

Boodaleechees
is banned
is banned

Post by Boodaleechees » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:14 pm

The Grump wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:39 pm
Boodaleechees wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:57 am
The Grump wrote:

On the side of your CQ2 is a black socket. That is your ground. You must connect that to the ground of your Euro gear. Most Euro power distros will have a ground point on the board. I use a banana plug with an alligator ended wire to connect them. The sleeve on any euro cable is ground, and so as long as you leave cable plugged in somewhere you can alligator that that as well, but you risk unplugging the cable by accident and that could be bad. As long as the ground is connected, you should be ok, although you'll also want to make sure that the signals from your Euro gear are rectified. CL only uses positive swing currents, +0-9v. So, if you're coming out of say a MATHS, you'll either want to be sure that all of your attenuverters are set to positive, or use the OR out if summing. The EOR and EOC outs are also super usesful with the CQ. You'll see. ;)
Yikes.... so... just running the stereo out from a Tetrax into, say, a Mutable Instruments Ears, without sharing the ground, would a be a no-no or a potential disaster? Or is this more for connecting modulation points between euro and C-L?

namon
Common Wiggler

Post by namon » Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:58 pm

Yah that's just the audio and should be fine. Grounding is needed when using the modulation points between the formats, as far as I know.
I run audio from coco into phonogene often with no worries. But if I'm patching between, I use one of those lowgain modules and connect grounds.

Boodaleechees
is banned
is banned

Post by Boodaleechees » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:23 pm

namon wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:58 pm
Yah that's just the audio and should be fine. Grounding is needed when using the modulation points between the formats, as far as I know.
I run audio from coco into phonogene often with no worries. But if I'm patching between, I use one of those lowgain modules and connect grounds.
Okay, phew! Thanks! :hail:

x2mirko
Veteran Wiggler

Post by x2mirko » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:10 am

The audio connector has a ground (or 0v ref or however you want to call it) connection built in. It's only banana connections that require you to connect ground between different systems because there's no ground connection being established with the banana cable itself.

Boodaleechees
is banned
is banned

Post by Boodaleechees » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:28 am

Thank you! I really appreciate the responses here as I dip into the new banana pool. :eel:

Just ordered this: https://www.perfectcircuit.com/low-gain ... utl-1.html

namon
Common Wiggler

Post by namon » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:59 pm

Exactly, that's going to help open everything up. Being able to run everything through pp really suited my work flow. Having a grasp on what my euro does helped me enormously with understanding what the coco does.

bibleblack
Common Wiggler

Post by bibleblack » Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:43 am

Im trying to get my head around the Quantussy section, I have tried patching v/oct from a quantiser into the fm of the cells to little affect so what am i missing (it was connected to ground) is the fm input controlling the amount of fm?

I also can't get my head around the relationship between the castle input and output. Does the input (green) select which other cell the grey output samples from?

merlatte
Common Wiggler

Post by merlatte » Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:26 pm

bibleblack wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:43 am
Im trying to get my head around the Quantussy section, I have tried patching v/oct from a quantiser into the fm of the cells to little affect so what am i missing (it was connected to ground) is the fm input controlling the amount of fm?

I also can't get my head around the relationship between the castle input and output. Does the input (green) select which other cell the grey output samples from?
It's important to note that the voltage range is something like 0-9v with 4.5v being the center. In order to make the VCO step at audio rate, you want to be on the higher end of that range. If you're on the low end, it'll take the VCO down into LFO territory.

The Quantussy does not track v/oct, so you'd have to tune your sequencer per step without a quantizer if you really want to get 12tet behavior or whatever and even then it'll probably drift.

As for understanding what's going on, Richard Brewster's various articles on his site are really informative: https://pugix.com/synth/ciat-lonbarde-cocoquantus/

Return to “Ciat-Lonbarde”