COCOQUANTUS 2 "GETTING STARTED MANUAL"

home of post-70s electronics

Moderators: Kent, bartlebooth

The Grump
Veteran Wiggler

Post by The Grump » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:51 pm

Kazremark wrote:I also don't understand the routine for syncing the Coco to an incoming click. I have a clock signal coming from my modular (quarter notes) and have that plugged into "skip". I clock divide that by 2 (whole notes) and plug into "flip". Should that be syncing the delay length to a bar?
You really should scroll up in the thread and read where Arnoux kindly explained the mechanism of Skip, because it's not one of clock pulses. All pulses will do is give tiny little delays that next to useless. Clock the Skip with a GATE. I've gotten surprisingly good results out of Ableton and Skinnerbox's Trigger Tailor on an individual out of my mixer.

The yellow output is a square wave, has something to do with the Coco's buffer, and IS affected by the Coco's FM input. It almost sounds quantized, too, but I have no idea how.

Noctopolis
Learning to Wiggle

Re: COCOQUANTUS 2 "GETTING STARTED MANUAL"

Post by Noctopolis » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:59 am

"]Here's a little compendium for those who are approaching the Cocoquantus for the first time, these informations are precious material collected around this amazing subforum and after several months of intensive use of one of the coolest electronic musical instruments ever made."
I´ve been lurking around the Synthmall and the Patchpoint for about a year now and finally I´m about to take the plunge. Cocoquantus ordered (after selling various old studio friends) and now I´m eagerly checking the mailbox for delivery info. How nice then to have this comprehensive "Beginner´s guide" laid out! Thank you, thank you, three years later on...

arnoux
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by arnoux » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:01 am

3 years already?! :eek:

Noctopolis glad you found this useful, have fun

Titus
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Titus » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:39 pm

Very useful guide! Thank you so much.

I don't quite understand ground.

Does this stabilise voltage? If I patch ground in to ground from Coco to Sid, how does this change the sound?

Sorry if this is a really obvious question!

rayce
Veteran Wiggler

Post by rayce » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:15 pm

This creates a common ground between gear. Its useful if you are connecting equipment with different power supplies.

Since Banana jacks do not also have a ground (like 1/4" or 1/8" cables) you need to hook their ground jacks together to prevent weird things happening. Oscillator stability, lfo rates etc can go haywire otherwise.

Just keeps things working the way they should, no change to sound.

If you have audio cables connecting the two pieces of gear it should be sufficient to create a common ground.

0netwo0netwo
Veteran Wiggler

Post by 0netwo0netwo » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:21 pm

hello everyone

a few quick questions as I have recently placed an order for two new Ciat-Lonbarde friends to join my family (Plumbutter2 & Cocoquantus2). And ive asked the man himself PB, but I feel maybe this community here might be a better place so I dont bug him with questions hes probably been asked a million times already. :hyper:

1. If I was to have a power source that was way more powerful than the recommended 300mA is there a risk of "frying" either of these
beautiful instruments?

2. What is the safest/smartest way to have my eurorack system play with these new friends? Is it a "no-no" altogether or is that what the device by low gain electronics and others like it are for?

https://www.perfectcircuit.com/low-gain ... gL9CvD_BwE

or what about something like this

https://www.perfectcircuit.com/kilpatri ... e-kit.html

3. About how many and which lengths of banana cables should i get for each instrument?

thanks beforehand for your advice/help!

namon
Common Wiggler

Post by namon » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:43 pm

Can confirm that those low gain converters do the trick nicely.

SPIKE the Percussionist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by SPIKE the Percussionist » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:55 pm

namon wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:43 pm
Can confirm that those low gain converters do the trick nicely.
agreed!

i use two of them among several Ciat-Lonbarde noiz weapons!
:P
++

more noiz!

SPIKE the Percussionist

- http://www.manipulate.net -

ASTROGENIC HALLUCINAUTING
CoRE - Constructs of Ritual Evolution
DOGGEBI
Fiddle Witch and the Demons of Doom
morgue city
Unified Space

0netwo0netwo
Veteran Wiggler

Post by 0netwo0netwo » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:00 am

what happened with that person who fried their MATHS was that directly or was that using one of those little boxes?

or was it just perhaps some mild "trolling"? This whole issue with the brown nodes does scare me though

namon
Common Wiggler

Post by namon » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:59 am

Yah something about the browns on the rollrz right?
I haven’t found anything on the coco that has harmed anything in euro.

namon
Common Wiggler

Post by namon » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:59 pm

Thank you ✓✓✓∆¶

timeforest
Common Wiggler

Post by timeforest » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:35 am

could anyone talk a bit about fruitful/successful uses of the pulse/castle mod selects? i feel pretty clear about most of the coco's functionality already but this remains a point of confusion.

mrbloor
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mrbloor » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:30 am

Richard (Pugix) has written some stuff here, best description I've come across but it's still head scratching to the best of us. :hihi:

best description of quantussy yet

timeforest
Common Wiggler

Post by timeforest » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:35 am

thanks for that. in addition to a formal explanation im wondering about empirical experiences of patching the green bananas- like what has produced interesting or useful results from people. do you regularly patch them or leave them all unpatched?

sungja
Wiggling with Experience

Post by sungja » Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:09 pm

I often patch within each leaf of the quantussy and try to keep it minimal and try to mix several oscillator for listening. You can stack several oscillators together without any problems. Chaos should be up and frequency to taste. Also experiment with am inputs. It is difficult to understand exactly what is going on sometimes but when you hit that magic it will blow your mind.

timeforest
Common Wiggler

Post by timeforest » Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:14 pm

sungja wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:09 pm
I often patch within each leaf of the quantussy and try to keep it minimal and try to mix several oscillator for listening. You can stack several oscillators together without any problems. Chaos should be up and frequency to taste. Also experiment with am inputs. It is difficult to understand exactly what is going on sometimes but when you hit that magic it will blow your mind.

would you mind explaining a sample leaf patch in terms of the bananas. also interested in how you stack oscillators.

thanks for your help

sungja
Wiggling with Experience

Post by sungja » Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:24 pm

Well orange or grey to green with each leaf. State of other oscillators is also important. I try to keep red and blue mostly off. Switches i also try to keep audio for the oscillators i listen too and lowest range for the others but this is something you must experiment with yourself. The quantussy part is all integrated so everything affects everything else. Very difficult to make a patch do the same thing twice. It depends on switches, knobs, led states.

sungja
Wiggling with Experience

Post by sungja » Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:27 pm

Stack bananas together at green input of delay. Listen two oscillators together.

timeforest
Common Wiggler

Post by timeforest » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:41 pm

thanks! how do you keep red and blue off? the lozenge/colors are mystifying to me so far.

sungja
Wiggling with Experience

Post by sungja » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:27 pm

On the original cocoquantus with screw nodes you could touch the inner nodes but with bananas you need a chord to do this. Connect a chord to the green banana and touch the other end to change state.

timeforest
Common Wiggler

Post by timeforest » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:47 pm

yes yes yes thanks for the tips. very helpful my friend

timeforest
Common Wiggler

Post by timeforest » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:18 pm

last question for a bit (sorry) - anyone have any tips or info for cross patching cq and pb? do i need to do any grounding? what are some patch points that produce interesting results?

SPIKE the Percussionist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by SPIKE the Percussionist » Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:12 am

timeforest wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:18 pm
last question for a bit (sorry) - anyone have any tips or info for cross patching cq and pb? do i need to do any grounding? what are some patch points that produce interesting results?
just connect the two of them together via the black ground jack.

then just go crazy wiring them together.
:twisted:
++

more noiz!

SPIKE the Percussionist

- http://www.manipulate.net -

ASTROGENIC HALLUCINAUTING
CoRE - Constructs of Ritual Evolution
DOGGEBI
Fiddle Witch and the Demons of Doom
morgue city
Unified Space

mrbloor
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mrbloor » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:22 am

Whilst I commend Spike's enthusiasm I've always thought that in order to understand what's happening it's best to take small steps. I'd be inclined to concentrate on outputs from pb to inputs on cq & see what happens, gesture from deerhorn being a good example, see how this reacts to cq then move on to rollz & mwrs.

Once you can grasp the effects of these you can flip the connections to see how cq outs effect the various inputs of pb. Make notes of those connections you like.

Happy travels.

Return to “Ciat-Lonbarde”