IFM Dunst's noise pulse/hiss (middle section)

home of post-70s electronics

Moderators: Kent, bartlebooth

jimmie
Veteran Wiggler

IFM Dunst's noise pulse/hiss (middle section)

Post by jimmie » Tue May 14, 2019 12:20 pm

I'm scratching my head how to effectively utilize Dunst's middle section noise pulse and hiss.

The hiss is so quiet I don't really see any effect for a modulation source. It's nice to add a cassette tape hiss noise to mix if such effect is needed, tho. Pulse seems also little effective on anything handy to my current setup... Modulating its own Dust noise seems not so effective, too. Using them for its vca MUL is also seems pretty useless.

Anybody has some effective use of these noise sources?

architexture
Common Wiggler

Post by architexture » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:42 pm

I use the bnoice section as an audio rate noise signal, although the volume is a little low. I tend to bring the volume up with a vca. Also it is automatically routed to the internal VCA's so it makes a great hat / snare with just a trig or env signal

jimmie
Veteran Wiggler

Post by jimmie » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:07 pm

yeah but I wonder why it is designed so in the first place if you need to volume up to be usable... or if there was other intention for which I can't think of... :help:

soft_ctrl
Learning to Wiggle

Re: IFM Dunst's noise pulse/hiss (middle section)

Post by soft_ctrl » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:22 pm

try adding an amp to the switch and see if it gets any louder, tell me how it goes

merlatte
Common Wiggler

Post by merlatte » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:20 pm

Using the 10v square output from Denum or Swoop into the Dunst VCA CV input seems to help the volume issue out a bit- not enough imo, but it’s noticeably louder. I also tried using a static step from an SQ-1 at its max 8v as an offset into the VCA and that helped too.

triangle
Learning to Wiggle

Post by triangle » Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:52 am

merlatte wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:20 pm
Using the 10v square output from Denum or Swoop into the Dunst VCA CV input seems to help the volume issue out a bit- not enough imo, but it’s noticeably louder. I also tried using a static step from an SQ-1 at its max 8v as an offset into the VCA and that helped too.
Nice!

Something I really like with the Dunst noise section is along the lines of patching square from Denum to the Dunst noise FM, noise pulse from Dunst to Denum Bounds. Then also patch noise pulse to trigger a Swoop with it’s triangle patched to envelope Dunst vca. I’ll also patch Swoop square to Denum Bounce to get all three modules tied together. Patch the Swoop to trigger up/down swoops and monitor the Dunst noise hiss from its left/rite stereo outputs while experimenting with range and vca toggles etc.

I also like Denum/Swoop squares into the Dunst FM to add texture to Denum. Using Sprott as a mixer maybe the Denum triangle is into Sprott, with Denum’s square through Dunst FM with Hiss out of it’s left/right vca also patched to Sprott inputs in various ways. The Hiss output can be louder with the FM attenuverter full cw/ccw these ways but it’s modulated, which I think can be great for adding some texture to percussive sounds with the stereo vca. Similar to how I might patch Plumbutter’s snare/noise section by patching say Sidrax oscillators into its verso/inverso jacks and/or the snare mixer verso/inverso jacks.

Another one I like is Dunst Noise Hiss and Pulse into a swoop up/low bounds with swoops square back to noise fm, monitor swoop square at audio rate and can dial in a pretty loud hiss but there’s lots of other more interesting sound/responses adjusting swoop knobs and range settings..

Return to “Ciat-Lonbarde”