Seriously considering a Shnth and would like advice

home of post-70s electronics

Moderators: Kent, bartlebooth

gkillmaster
Learning to Wiggle

Seriously considering a Shnth and would like advice

Post by gkillmaster » Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:30 pm

I'm kinda new to this type of expressive device and would love to know if there are other similar devices with similar price ranges that I should consider along with this one. I love what sound this is capable of but I've only heard it being used one time in a live improv performance. I'm curious if its hard to coax out super interesting and diverse sounds or wether it ends up feeling a little samey over time. I've also looked at the SOMA Laboratory's Lyra-8 as an alternative.

Would love some recommendations and advice from current users!

Many thanks,

Greg

jimmie
Veteran Wiggler

Post by jimmie » Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:51 pm

I'm sure Shnth has an enormous potential for what it can do, capable of so wide range of sound creation. It's just about how much you'd devote to program it. And that's where it isn't so instant or easy (for me at least). It's maybe like learning FM synth; to become familiar with what various opcodes can do take some - well, rather many experiments and experience - and which I admit I'm lack of. For example, for each component I think, 'mul' and 'add' params have really great effect on to the outcome. Without right values for those params it's often you can't see any obvious effects or like can't hear anything. But since you have "type in" a value for params in Fish, finding right values isn't the easiest thing. Making some intelligent guess for the right values mean you need to gain experience by a lot of try and error first. So, if value change can be done by some slider or knob tweaking with on the fly monitoring, programming would be much faster and easier, lead to more experiment for more variety of complex patches. Well, I'm not complaining to the tool (Fish is already great tool) but for an impatient person like myself (old guy) this is definitely hindering to explore the mighty world of Shnth. So, Shnth's potential is just yet not well explored enough, at least I can so feel for what I can find Shnth example found on the net today. And there isn't active discussion about it at the moment (seems it once was popular, a couple of years before I got my shnth) so lack of wisdom of predecessors as well.
But I'm pretty sure Shnth is so deep, can do huge thing, so unique, so get it, you won't regret for it, and spend time with it, devote to Fish or Shlisp programming, and please share your findings with us! :hihi:

jimmie
Veteran Wiggler

Post by jimmie » Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:00 am

Lyra-8 is an interesting and great synth but the sound variety is not comparable to Shnth I think. An organic feeling analog synth and hardcore digital experimental device. Lyra-8 is quick to get those sound (very good nice sound) but for me it's sort of samey over time while Shnth isn't quick and easy but has vast wide range of "sound," methinks.

gkillmaster
Learning to Wiggle

Post by gkillmaster » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:17 am

jimmie wrote:I'm sure Shnth has an enormous potential for what it can do, capable of so wide range of sound creation. It's just about how much you'd devote to program it. And that's where it isn't so instant or easy (for me at least). It's maybe like learning FM synth; to become familiar with what various opcodes can do take some - well, rather many experiments and experience - and which I admit I'm lack of. For example, for each component I think, 'mul' and 'add' params have really great effect on to the outcome. Without right values for those params it's often you can't see any obvious effects or like can't hear anything. But since you have "type in" a value for params in Fish, finding right values isn't the easiest thing. Making some intelligent guess for the right values mean you need to gain experience by a lot of try and error first. So, if value change can be done by some slider or knob tweaking with on the fly monitoring, programming would be much faster and easier, lead to more experiment for more variety of complex patches. Well, I'm not complaining to the tool (Fish is already great tool) but for an impatient person like myself (old guy) this is definitely hindering to explore the mighty world of Shnth. So, Shnth's potential is just yet not well explored enough, at least I can so feel for what I can find Shnth example found on the net today. And there isn't active discussion about it at the moment (seems it once was popular, a couple of years before I got my shnth) so lack of wisdom of predecessors as well.
But I'm pretty sure Shnth is so deep, can do huge thing, so unique, so get it, you won't regret for it, and spend time with it, devote to Fish or Shlisp programming, and please share your findings with us! :hihi:
Such a huge amount of useful information! Thank you so much. This is the kind of feedback i was hoping for and is going to help me make a decision. Much appreciated and all makes sense for me too since I'm an older guy too. I don't know how much time I can spend leaning the necessary programming. I was hoping to get it and explore (and maybe tweak) existing patches. I do wish it could update changes on the fly without having to go through copying files each time!

gkillmaster
Learning to Wiggle

Post by gkillmaster » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:20 am

jimmie wrote:Lyra-8 is an interesting and great synth but the sound variety is not comparable to Shnth I think. An organic feeling analog synth and hardcore digital experimental device. Lyra-8 is quick to get those sound (very good nice sound) but for me it's sort of samey over time while Shnth isn't quick and easy but has vast wide range of "sound," methinks.
So glad to get this feedback on Lyra-8. I wonder if there is a repository of Shnth patches, like a user library of patches somewhere? Or is it mostly people exchanging them on sites like this? Would be great if there was one place where people could upload their programs...

jimmie
Veteran Wiggler

Post by jimmie » Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:08 pm

There's relatively sufficient patch examples in the download package. Those seems to be collected over time and not everything works in an apparent manner but many of them are great and suggest lots of hints and ideas. The thing is, it is still not covering many of Shnth goodness yet. Shnth (Fish) is completely modular with no limitation (on the paper to say the least); limitation is only by your imagination :sb: like, for instance you can build a 30 oscillator synth, or how about 10 filters chained and their params modulated by sequencers which are modulated by physical inputs, if you so wish - well whether it's useful is another discussion :hihi:

gkillmaster
Learning to Wiggle

Post by gkillmaster » Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:19 am

jimmie wrote:There's relatively sufficient patch examples in the download package. Those seems to be collected over time and not everything works in an apparent manner but many of them are great and suggest lots of hints and ideas. The thing is, it is still not covering many of Shnth goodness yet. Shnth (Fish) is completely modular with no limitation (on the paper to say the least); limitation is only by your imagination :sb: like, for instance you can build a 30 oscillator synth, or how about 10 filters chained and their params modulated by sequencers which are modulated by physical inputs, if you so wish - well whether it's useful is another discussion :hihi:
Good to know. Thanks again!

mudlogger
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mudlogger » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:27 am

I posted a bunch of Shnth patches a few months ago after having it in the cupboard for a year. It one of them synths I played with for a few months then tried other stuff and put it down and not learning the Fish programming as much as I should have. I didn't realise how good it actually was the first time. Many people buy them and don't spend the time to work out the programming and get frustrated and sell them.

This is a good thread for learning https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... highlight=

I would say it's one of the most underrated synths going and you can get sounds that are unciat like or ciat like. It has a much wider sound palette than any other Ciat gear. It's got a sound that reminds me of a Nord Micro and in some ways reminds of why I like the Nord Micro. It's frustrating at first to get your head around the Fish program, but if you are familiar with modular synth patching, then it's much easier. Some other annoying things is the code has to be uploaded to the device to hear it. So you are constantly clicking upload after making changes to your code on the computer. Bad code locks up the Shnth and you have to reset it. Once you are familiar with what the numbers do, then that is not an issue. I use the older version of Fish v1.3 as it has a nifty randomduplicate feature with all your different patches laid out across the top. The v2 removes both these features and all your patches are combined on 1 page that you scroll down through, which I didn't really like.

Don't let that stuff put you off because what makes it special is you can make any sound you like and it's so tactile and playable. It's a fully programmable modular synth in the palm of your hand and the price is great. I would say it's ideal for live performance as it holds tonnes of presets (I think 100 or so). Here's some quick patches I posted on YouTube

Also watch these tutorial videos. Those helped me a lot to learn the Fish program.

odeland
Learning to Wiggle

Post by odeland » Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:46 am

gkillmaster
when you get you head around how FISH works its okay to patch things up. i would say if you know what sound you are going for on paper an the idea then you can build it ! also the community here and on facebook are super helpful.

odeland
Learning to Wiggle

Post by odeland » Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:51 am

gkillmaster
Also protect your ears. the choatiq sometimes high harsh sounds that the shnth gives you in the start when you dont know what the opcodes do, is a danger for your ears and speakers!!!

wednesdayayay
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wednesdayayay » Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:09 pm

here are some tutorial type videos I did a while back once I jump back into audio synthesis (mostly focusing on video for now) I'll make some more

If you can watch any of the tutorial type videos and feel like the coding language makes sense to you it is a fantastic tool

but a lot of people get stuck not understanding the programming too well
sh is the sound of data
bobo is the gesture

PB

gkillmaster
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Seriously considering a Shnth and would like advice

Post by gkillmaster » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:09 pm

super helpful and thanks for the reply. Sorry for delayed response. I wasn't getting notified of responses. Man, I have a lot to study up on but I so appreciate this feedback!

gkillmaster
Learning to Wiggle

Post by gkillmaster » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:12 pm

super helpful and thanks for the reply. Sorry for delayed response. I wasn't getting notified of responses. Man, I have a lot to study up on but I so appreciate this feedback!

Clemdu
Common Wiggler

Post by Clemdu » Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:20 am

Hello,

Nice examples Mudlogger! Always good to see more Shnth footage online, as there is very few...
Also, a bunch of good advices here!
Definitely check out the « Can’t into programming the Shnth » thread, and come and Any ask questions you may have.
There is not a big visible community online, but surely enough folks still rocking the Shnth to help you out.

igormpc
Wiggling with Experience

Post by igormpc » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:30 am

Clemdu wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:20 am
Nice examples Mudlogger! Always good to see more Shnth footage online, as there is very few...
some more footage here:
https://vimeo.com/igormedeiros/
:)

eclectics
Wiggling with Experience

Post by eclectics » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:27 pm

I completely agree with what's been expressed-- it's an amazing device, but programming it to do interesting things isn't easy. My favourite patches are still all other peoples'. I spent a lot of time with it for a few months, but haven't used it much recently-- but I know I will again. What I like best about it is its size and the sensitive/expressive tactile control. You can lightly stroke the barres or make small movements over the antenna. It feels really great to play.
I think of it a bit like a puzzle box; a lot of the fun is in working it out, so you have to like that sort of thing as well.

gkillmaster
Learning to Wiggle

Post by gkillmaster » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:25 am

eclectics wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:27 pm
I completely agree with what's been expressed-- it's an amazing device, but programming it to do interesting things isn't easy. My favourite patches are still all other peoples'. I spent a lot of time with it for a few months, but haven't used it much recently-- but I know I will again. What I like best about it is its size and the sensitive/expressive tactile control. You can lightly stroke the barres or make small movements over the antenna. It feels really great to play.
I think of it a bit like a puzzle box; a lot of the fun is in working it out, so you have to like that sort of thing as well.
Thanks!

Return to “Ciat-Lonbarde”