home of post-70s electronics

Moderators: Kent, bartlebooth

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Thicket Whispers - a Ciat Lonbarde album

Post by flx » Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:44 pm

Here’s a new digital release:
Thicket Whispers

A dark ambient/noise/drone/“wall of sound” album made with Ciat Lonbarde instruments.

YouTube Trailer:

The main instruments were a Sidrax Organ, a Cocoquantus 2 and a Meng Qi Rollz-5+. Additionally, I used an old Sony dictaphone to capture ukulele, dishwasher and fidgeting sounds and I also played some notes on the ThumbJam iOS App a few of times. All sounds, apart from the Rollz-5 once or twice, were sent through the Cocoquantus. Everything was recorded on a Zoom R16 multitracker and mixed and mastered in Steinberg’s Cubasis 2 App on an iPad Pro.

Behind the scenes picture:
F48DB122-3155-40A2-8FE2-618466CA8512.jpeg
F48DB122-3155-40A2-8FE2-618466CA8512.jpeg (675.03 KiB) Viewed 404 times
Here are some free download codes:

vf7f-kmfj
75wx-gzek
m7jj-u6n8

9mfr-e6vn
zbad-3yze
3vfe-huku

… redeem one here:
https://nightmachines.bandcamp.com/yum

How I approached this album:
I would start making some sounds, either with the Sidrax Organ, the dictaphone (ukulele and dishwasher) or ThumbJam, through the Cocoquantus and patch for a little bit to find a direction and then unpatch, hit record and go through the patching and tweaking again. This usually set up a main “theme” for the track upon I’d multirack some layers afterwards. The Sidrax Organ audio would always go through the Cocoquantus via the stereo 3.5mm sockets, but for modulation I did often patch the two devices together with bananas. I especially like the left grey input of the Sidrax which FMs all oscillators. The yellow “obelisk” outputs of the Cocoquantus (which sound like an organ, as heard in the track “Midnight”) are really wild and cool for FM and as a straight audio source.

The Rollz-5 is good for drones and those weird rhythms. I mostly sent its audio through the Cocoquantus as well, but not always. It’s also a really nice instrument to patch live.

Everything was always recorded in stereo, because that’s a big part of the Ciat Lonbarde experience in my opinion. The tracks all consist of two to six stereo recordings. I only did some minor editing of mistakes on two of those and the rest were taken as they were and just mixed and mastered in the Cubasis 2 DAW. Mastering effects are a subtle reverb, various compressors and EQs that would mostly just lower the high frequencies a bit (I like the Cocoquantus noise, but sometimes it can become very dominant up there).

Let me know if you have any more questions and also let me know how you like it. This is my first time getting deep into the Ciat Lonbarde universe and - of course - it’s quite amazing and a different kind of music making. I particularly enjoyed the dynamics and the wide stereo sounds.

Oh, and this whole thing was created in one day. I spent the Christmas holidays alone for the first time in my life this year (it’s all good) and on the 24th I woke up and had the urge to finally record that Ciat Lonbarde album. So I made music for 14 hours straight that day and just powered through this project from the first patch and recording to the album artwork and YouTube video. I went to bed at 4am. It has been worth it.

Now I’m a bit torn about what to do next ... since I got those instruments all at once in a trade very recently, I might either sell them again (as I really just wanted to try them out to check them of my all-time wishlist) ... or I might get a Plumbutter 2 to complete the triad and just sell the Rollz-5. :hmm:
You can also find and contact me here:
tuesdaynightmachines@gmail.com
YouTube
nightmachines.tv

jimmie
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Thicket Whispers - a Ciat Lonbarde album

Post by jimmie » Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:45 am

Love the album! I didn't know you do CL stuff (now I know :hihi: )
Plumbutter2 is certainly an upgrade to Rollz5 in general but certain sounds of Rollz5 are not achievable on PB2 I think, because of non-voltage-controlled rollz(genuine rollz eh?) and 4! ultrasound which I so miss on PB2 (I want only center part of PB2 for an expander), AvDog also sounds a bit different as well. so ideally, you want both :hihi:

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:13 am

jimmie wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:45 am
Love the album! I didn't know you do CL stuff (now I know :hihi: )
Plumbutter2 is certainly an upgrade to Rollz5 in general but certain sounds of Rollz5 are not achievable on PB2 I think, because of non-voltage-controlled rollz(genuine rollz eh?) and 4! ultrasound which I so miss on PB2 (I want only center part of PB2 for an expander), AvDog also sounds a bit different as well. so ideally, you want both :hihi:
Thanks! Yeah, I stumbled into CL head over heels. It was one of those things which I had on my wish list forever but never really got, because of the high price and not really knowing if I’d gel with it. With the recent trades now, getting all three devices at once was very lucky. It’s a different kind of music making for sure and the design, with the wood and weirdness, is definitely cool. I still think it’s super expensive for what it is musically, but as a whole thing or “experience”, the prices are okay, especially when it enables people like Peter to counteract the more “boring” mainstream synth industry :mrgreen:

Good to know about the differences between the PB2 and the Rollz-5 ... it does sound as if I should get the PB2 in addition to everything else then :cry:
YouTube
nightmachines.tv

andreasphh
Common Wiggler

Post by andreasphh » Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:47 am

Strange songs made with strange instruments! I like it a lot! Amazing that you put this together in one (very long) session. Thanks for the detailed description, very interesting. And for the code :guinness:

pm me If you ever think about parting with your rollz (which I doubt).

Ras Thavas
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Ras Thavas » Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:29 pm

Thanks for sharing the album, it has a wonderful vibe to it and I'm amazed you were able to create that all in one day.

I'd hope you might spend some more time creating with these instruments before you consider selling them, I believe they'll reward ongoing patching with many pleasant musical surprises.

Getting a Plumbutter might work well, it certainly patches nicely with the Cocoquantus. I have to admit I find the Plumbutter more difficult to consistently get good results from than the Coco, but that's probably because I find myself trying to fine tune the rhythms that come out of it, and that's not something that's going to happen, it's more like you can just generally steer the thing a little bit if you're lucky...

Having said that, when I patch the Plumbutter as a collection of modules and not as a "drum machine" it's much more productive.

jimmie
Veteran Wiggler

Post by jimmie » Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:44 pm

Yeah it's not cheap if you compare with late years 'electric music instrument' offerings in terms of music production capabilities. so it's more like buying art (and philosophy behind) than tool devices. And I see them in a way like acoustic instruments rather than electric synthesizer or alike. Also they force you their way of working/thinking to you unlike regular modular which you dictate what they do. That's where I respect them and love them. It's rather inefficient if one is trying to use them in mainstream musical frame..IMO. So they will grow on you or not.. for me I felt them number of times kinda ridiculous but after some time I always came back to them. They opened my eyes for how I patch on euro - then new discovery on euro :guinness:

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:19 am

andreasphh wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:47 am
pm me If you ever think about parting with your rollz (which I doubt).
I'll definitely do that! :tu:
Ras Thavas wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:29 pm
I'd hope you might spend some more time creating with these instruments before you consider selling them, I believe they'll reward ongoing patching with many pleasant musical surprises.

Getting a Plumbutter might work well, it certainly patches nicely with the Cocoquantus. I have to admit I find the Plumbutter more difficult to consistently get good results from than the Coco, but that's probably because I find myself trying to fine tune the rhythms that come out of it, and that's not something that's going to happen, it's more like you can just generally steer the thing a little bit if you're lucky...
Thanks! Yeah, I find the Cocoquantus seems to play nice with everything. I decided to give myself more time with the CLs then and I have a Plumbutter 2 on the way for a huge wooden banana party :goo:
jimmie wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:44 pm
it's more like buying art (and philosophy behind) than tool devices.
Well said! It really seems to be something that you like because it speaks to you on an almost emotional level and less because of technical specifications or workflows.
YouTube
nightmachines.tv

thevegasnerve
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thevegasnerve » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:26 am

found this by accident searching for Zoom R16 discussions.

really nice work and sounds great! interesting timbres with subtle melodies blended in. :sb:

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:50 am

thevegasnerve wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:26 am
found this by accident searching for Zoom R16 discussions.

really nice work and sounds great! interesting timbres with subtle melodies blended in. :sb:
Thank you! I’d also be happy to tell you about the R16 :D
YouTube
nightmachines.tv

thevegasnerve
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thevegasnerve » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:58 am

I actually have an R8, but the second channel developed some noise thats unbearable to me.. very sad. so was considering getting the R16, but now I see it only does 44hz, which is problematic for video stuff.. Anyways, I saw you mastered in Cubasis 2 also. Have considered using that more.

Anyways, you did a nice job with your recording.

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:48 pm

thevegasnerve wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:58 am
Anyways, I saw you mastered in Cubasis 2 also. Have considered using that more.
I run it on an iPad Pro 11" with the Apple Pencil and while it's not specifically made for the pen, working with it is so much more convenient than only with the fingers. I really like the simple interface of the app. Aurio Pro is cool too, but it always felt a bit dated UI-wise and the MIDI support wasn't great last time I checked.
YouTube
nightmachines.tv

Noctopolis
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Noctopolis » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:09 am

I found your album here and I really like some of the tracks! Good music for walking, thinking and such. Even though you didn´t use a Plumbutter the sound of the Rollz together with the Coco tipped me over to purchase a PB and it´s been an interesting ride so far.
I´d love to here more music done with this setup. Keep it up!
Recent album: Malacandra. https://noctopolis.bandcamp.com/

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:20 am

Noctopolis wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:09 am
I found your album here and I really like some of the tracks! Good music for walking, thinking and such. Even though you didn´t use a Plumbutter the sound of the Rollz together with the Coco tipped me over to purchase a PB and it´s been an interesting ride so far.
I´d love to here more music done with this setup. Keep it up!
Thank you very much! Enjoy the PB then! That’s a good choice for sure :)

I’m in the process of recording another album with my Ciat Lonbarde setup, which I plan to release in the summer digitally and also on tape.
YouTube
nightmachines.tv

Noctopolis
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Noctopolis » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:14 am

[/quote] Thank you very much! Enjoy the PB then! That’s a good choice for sure :)

I’m in the process of recording another album with my Ciat Lonbarde setup, which I plan to release in the summer digitally and also on tape.
[/quote]

Looking forward to it!
Recent album: Malacandra. https://noctopolis.bandcamp.com/

Return to “Ciat-Lonbarde”