Tocante Studworth

home of post-70s electronics

Moderators: Kent, bartlebooth

bunkerspreckles
Learning to Wiggle

Tocante Studworth

Post by bunkerspreckles » Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:43 pm

...anybody built one?

Wondering if the Studworths are capable of the modulations of the OG Tocantes achieved by touching the sandrode lines in the center...

Do they do something similar (or different) through touching of the solder points on the black strip on the top, or the smaller golden ones next to each osc pad?

Prolly the best way to find out is just to make one already, but I'm curious what folks might have discovered.

:hmm:

hautlle
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Tocante Studworth

Post by hautlle » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:28 am

Did you end up building one? I just bought the 3 boards. He does talk about touching solder points (and covering certain ones with nail polish that you don't want to touch) on the center section for modulation on a recent Youtube w/ Hainbach and Divkid

mrhoudis
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mrhoudis » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:51 pm

There are instructions on the website but you’re supposed to cover the black section with nail polish so you can’t touch them, it’s the power and stuff and you don’t want to touch that. Everything outside of the black is good to touch and does the modulations of the original tocantes. I built a phashi.

nrrrd
Common Wiggler

Post by nrrrd » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:58 am

@mrhoudis. How did you house it? I don’t have the woodworking tools or skills that Peter demonstrates on the video!

mrhoudis
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mrhoudis » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:31 am

nrrrd wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:58 am
@mrhoudis. How did you house it? I don’t have the woodworking tools or skills that Peter demonstrates on the video!
Mine is currently in a temporary home, a wood wine box I got at goodwill. I will be carving a case for it when I have the time.

bunkerspreckles
Learning to Wiggle

Post by bunkerspreckles » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:46 pm

@hautle- No, I haven't gotten to ordering the pcbs to build, but I am glad some folks are interested and are endeavoring to make them.
Having looked more into the project after posting, I kind of hit a wall with accessing the Supercollider BOM/tuning cap picker bit (interested to hear if anyone has implemented this with success I am in the weeds when it comes to software), and put time into other projects.

Also, thanks for the info re: not touching components on the black strip.

@mrhoudis- how'd the phashi turn out?

mrhoudis
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mrhoudis » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:40 am

The phashi is great. I tuned it all by ear, I’m no good with software either. I’d stick the caps in, power it on with a battery, and if I liked the pitch I’d solder them in. It was a little hard bc each osc uses 3 caps on the phashi, and sometimes the caps would slip and loose the connection so I’d usually have to hold them in place w one finger. it would be easier on the bistab which only uses 1 cap per oscillator. But yeah I ended up w a weird idiosyncratic scale that sounds neat and in tune with itself because I tuned it to itself.

bunkerspreckles
Learning to Wiggle

Post by bunkerspreckles » Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:23 pm

You can get SIP sockets at Tayda, Digikey, etc. They make it so much less fiddly to test different parts. I have a few solar sounders underway that have most of the caps socketed for easier 'tuning'.

Also I have a green phashi, and would love to make it a little solar 'band' with different scales and waveforms.
Interested to hear what folks come up with

hautlle
Learning to Wiggle

Post by hautlle » Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:50 pm

Bunker: I was going to mess with the Supercollider stuff soon, haven't yet though. I'll let you know if I have success.

I agree that those machined round pin sockets are the best I've found for testing caps/resistors

Return to “Ciat-Lonbarde”