Ciat-Lonbarde chord progressions?

home of post-70s electronics

Moderators: Kent, bartlebooth

eyeiaye
Wiggling with Experience

Ciat-Lonbarde chord progressions?

Post by eyeiaye » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:55 am

Hello,

Im fascinated by the Ciat-Lonbarde Sidrax and Plumbutter as a composition duo. This said, it seems like everybody plays in a single chord, droning on. This is cool but not the application I am looking for.

This all said, in a perfect world, I would love to tune the Sidrax to, say, an A Minor, chord. Then I would like something to do progressions on chords via voltage. So that A Minor becomes a G Minor, and so on. Would be so cool to hit a button and drop or boost the overall note cluster on the Sidrax.

Also would be cool to change the Plumbutter.

Thanks in advance. There must be a way to do this.

GrantB
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Ciat-Lonbarde chord progressions?

Post by GrantB » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:09 pm

It is possible to do this on the PB alone if your progression only has two chords. Use orange out from MWRS to CV ins of the sound generators. Tune the frequency and CV amount until you get the pitches right in both states of the orange.

Adding a something like a Voltage Memory or Serge TKB/programmer is an easier approach which allows for more chords. I've tried both of these with PB and CQ. I don't have a Sidrax (yet).

It could be said that CL instruments are the wrong tool for the job here, relative to other synths. I've opined that they appear to be designed with a mind to frustrate attempts at "traditional music". This hasn't stopped me from trying though!

smog
Learning to Wiggle

Post by smog » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:25 pm

Not exactly what you’re looking for but another way I enjoy to control the Sidrax aside from sending voltages into Grey and Blue. When you monitor from a Red out on sidrax, then patch from say an orange 4roll from Plumbutter into one of its Green glitch inputs every pulse will change the bounds modulation of that oscillator to a pair of oscillators..you can find which two are controlling for each glitch/combo by sending in a steady pulse(s) to each glitch input and adjusting sliders until you find the two that are now setting the bounds so you can tune these steps..(At least I think this is what is happening) You might try monitoring multiple red outs to good effect, sending different pulses into the glitch inputs to create little sequences or movements for each oscillator..then you can try sending pulses into the other “bounds” oscillators glitch inputs too for more movement, can get messy/noisy quick but if you tune carefully can find very interesting results. I like to get a nice sequence going this way and then slowly crank up the sidrax chaos knob :love: Also really nice sending Quantussy Grey/Orange into sidrax glitch inputs while stacking multiple sidrax reds into the coco’s inputs to monitor and AM modulate etc. This can get really wild with Quatrax and it’s three glitch inputs per oscillator 8-)

Hope you might find something useful in that :tu:

rmro
Common Wiggler

Post by rmro » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:30 am

It is possible to do this on the PB alone if your progression only has two chords. Use orange out from MWRS to CV ins of the sound generators. Tune the frequency and CV amount...

Could you please explain this a bit more. Say eg MWRS orange out went into a Gong purple FM. How do you get a different pitch per step? Is the FM amount not just fixed by the knob position?

I rarely actually use the MWRS

GrantB
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GrantB » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:05 pm

rmro wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:30 am
It is possible to do this on the PB alone if your progression only has two chords. Use orange out from MWRS to CV ins of the sound generators. Tune the frequency and CV amount...

Could you please explain this a bit more. Say eg MWRS orange out went into a Gong purple FM. How do you get a different pitch per step? Is the FM amount not just fixed by the knob position?

I rarely actually use the MWRS
Gongue has two frequency knobs, one of which is an attenuverter that determines how much the pitch will be offset by a voltage on the purple. An orange gate from MWRS or roll is just a periodic fixed voltage. It can be used to modulate the frequency of the gongue so that it will have one pitch when the orange is active and another when it is not. This will only give two alternating pitches, so not really "pitch per step", and will need to be combined with another generator(s) to provide a chord.

The easiest way I can think of to demonstrate the concept is to drone an avdog (orange to blue) and send a roll orange to avdog purple and green. Adjust avdog pitch and fm to a range where the effect is audible. Roll will control the speed of pitch switching. Add a second avdog in the same way using the same roll except you must trigger its green in a different way or it will fall silent. I connected avdog 1 red to avdog 2 green.

In practice this is very difficult to tune in any organized way on the gongue as the frequency and cv amount knobs are interactive and the triggering is wonky.

Again,
easier with Voltage Memory/Programmer
wrong tool for the job
designed to frustrate attempts at traditional music

rmro
Common Wiggler

Post by rmro » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:46 am

Thanks for explaining this further, that all makes complete sense. Going to have an experiment later. I looked briefly into the MQ Voltage Memory but I like the self contained universe of CL

rmro
Common Wiggler

Post by rmro » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:30 am

Whilst I'm nowhere near what would be described as alternating chords I am getting more and more great timbres out of the PB. Thanks

GrantB
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GrantB » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:15 pm

rmro wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:30 am
Whilst I'm nowhere near what would be described as alternating chords I am getting more and more great timbres out of the PB. Thanks
Yeah I patched it up as I described with two avdogs and added a gongue and let it run for a while. There were occasional irregular dropouts and pitch bends, sometimes needing generators to be repatched in order to get them started again. You know, standard PB behavior. It's just too many inputs connected to one orange without buffering. The avdogs can be tuned to a reasonably proper interval if you set up the whole patch first, set the change to slow and connect the tuner to the avdog individual outs. And have a lot of patience. More likely, you'll be lead in another direction which is after all the whole reason to use CL synths "The instruments that play you back!".

mrbloor
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mrbloor » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:39 am

This is 3 separate outs from mwrs going into 3 channels of a passive matrix mixer, 1 output of the mixer goes into the fm input of an av dog, the av dog is triggered by a 4 rollz. Using the mixers potentiometers to attenuate each output from mwrs creates the change in pitch.

I never really went any further with this but in theory using 4 outs from mwrs to the inputs, 4 outputs of the mixer can be used to tune 4 separate voices which can be triggered at different times by rollz. Interesting melodies will occur the more you patch into the rollz & the more you patch back into the invero, verso of the rollz & mwrs.

Return to “Ciat-Lonbarde”