cables/PSU question

home of post-70s electronics

Moderators: Kent, bartlebooth

timeforest
Common Wiggler

cables/PSU question

Post by timeforest » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:33 pm

i think this has surely been asked before but i actually cant find direct responses. i have a plumbutter and cocoquantus coming to me this week, my first C-L instruments and first banana instruments.

can anyone recommend me PSUs for these instruments and possible recommend quantities/lengths/makers for cables? ive been looking at buchla and modular addict right now, but i dont really know how many and what lengths i should get. ive read that pomona fit really tight and people have had to re-solder stuff because of this on pb (i want to avoid this).

so - please anyone help/recommend me this stuff! I need a bit of guidance. many thanks

GrantB
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: cables/PSU question

Post by GrantB » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:31 pm

I use Pomonas for my CL and Serge. They're great quality, I don't find them too tight, and I've never had to resolder a CL jack. I'd say get at least 40 cables for that setup, length depends on how you arrange them. I like the DA-36J12 power supplies, but anything with the right spec should work.

timeforest
Common Wiggler

Post by timeforest » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:41 pm

thank you! is there a too short length that i should avoid? i was thinking

does 30x 20" and 20x10" and 10x30" for buchla or 25x12" and 35x 24" for modular addict. do these lengths and quantities seem right?

GrantB
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GrantB » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:09 pm

I don't think there's a right or wrong, and either of your selections would be more than sufficient to get started. 30" is probably a little long unless you are putting them side by side, and I like having a few that are shorter than 12" as well. It can be nice if your spaghetti isn't too floppy. Remember if your cables are stackable you can extend them easily.

The only hard rule I'd suggest is to choose a distinct color for each length, so your 24" cables are all red, and 12" are all yellow for example.

timeforest
Common Wiggler

Post by timeforest » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:16 pm

great - thanks! if anyone has any thoughts on modular addict vs buchla cables that would be helpful too

timeforest
Common Wiggler

Post by timeforest » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:10 pm

ok i think im sorted with cables.

can anyone please verify that https://www.amazon.com/Amamax%C2%AE-Wal ... B00KZ2ZQE8will work with pb and coco

the other one i was eyeing is sold out :\

should i be getting 1a or 2a?

GrantB
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GrantB » Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:24 pm

Specs are right. 1A should be enough.

mrbloor
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mrbloor » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:17 pm

Just to add.

This forum is a valuable resource & much of what has been asked can be found using the search function, it becomes less of a resource the more threads get opened up to ask the same questions or people asking the same questions across multiple threads.

Yes I was there too, asked a lot of questions but I did a hell of a lot of searching & reading. There is some obscurity to these instruments but it's really no big deal, it's a fun ride.

Happy to answer any questions as are most others on here but please give people a chance to answer, I'd also add that Peter's website has pretty much all the answers you need & he's the one taking the money :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

p.s. there is also a Facebook group with a lot of old heads on there & answers can sometimes come much faster. :tu:

mrbloor
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mrbloor » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:31 pm

timeforest wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:41 pm
thank you! is there a too short length that i should avoid? i was thinking

does 30x 20" and 20x10" and 10x30" for buchla or 25x12" and 35x 24" for modular addict. do these lengths and quantities seem right?
That seems like a lot of very long cables, these instruments ain't that big. By 30" you mean 30 inches , I'd loose those and get plenty of 10" cables, most of the fun is to be had patching between the rollz on the PB & patching up the quantussy section in CQ & they are both in a fairly compact area.

Titus
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Titus » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:24 am

In terms of PSU, Patch Point offer a good one for a good price.

https://www.patch-point.com/ciat-lonbar ... -point-psu

And in total agreement with Mrbloor about cables. Long cables really get in the way of a patch after a while. Have a good few longer ones when it comes to patching CL instruments together but for any single instrument, shorter cables are much more useful and less messy!

Before I organised my cables properly, I kept pulling really long bananas out to patch something that was about a 5 cm distance. Was really annoying!

Return to “Ciat-Lonbarde”