normal sidrax behavior?

home of post-70s electronics

Moderators: Kent, bartlebooth

timeforest
Common Wiggler

normal sidrax behavior?

Post by timeforest » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:59 pm

hey all - just got my sidrax in the mail today. box was a bit dinged up and sid was sorta... cavalierly packaged. a couple of the barres seem a bit loose-ish which is irksome. im not sure if this is worth writing to peter about but also not a huge deal for me. mostly im wondering if this audio grab i did sounds "correct"/as expected. when i press the barres i dont seem to get a reliable response necessarily. when i hold my fingers on them theres a tone which, depending on pressure, has some sustain and kinda billows a bit then it falls and often seems to recur after a short lull. you can hear what im talking about throughout this clip. is this normal behavior? or should sid sustain/drone while my fingers are depressed. i cant seem to find anything that speaks to "normal behavior" on this forum or elsehwere.

thanks for any help!
https://voca.ro/1POuol8Xjhu
Last edited by timeforest on Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

electricanada
Ultra Wiggler

Re: normal sidrax behavior?

Post by electricanada » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:54 pm

timeforest wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:59 pm
hey all - just got my sidrax in the mail today. box was a bit dinged up and sid was sorta... cavalierly packaged. a couple of the barres seem a bit loose-ish which is irksome. im not sure if this is worth writing to peter about but also not a huge deal for me. mostly im wondering if this audio grab i did sounds "correct"/as expected. when i press the barres i dont seem to get a reliable response necessarily. when i hold my fingers on them theres a tone which, depending on pressure, has some sustain and kinda billows a bit then it falls and often seems to recur after a short lull. you can hear what im talking about throughout this clip. is this normal behavior? or should sid sustain/drone while my fingers are depressed. i cant seem to find anything that speaks to "normal behavior" on this forum or elsehwere.

thanks for any help!
That sounds normal to me. The tightness of the bars is adjustable. It is expected that you will adjust the action to your own preference for your playing style. You don’t get full control over the Sidrax. The piezo bar is a primitive construction. You have to be willing to roll with it as is.
Eléctrica (electric) Nāda (the yoga of sound).

timeforest
Common Wiggler

Post by timeforest » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:11 pm

thanks - that’s reassuring. how can i adjust the bars?

also - the middle bar in particular seems to do that call and response tone everytime i press it. like - press down and hold -> tone sounds then a short lull then the same tone. i seem to not be able to achieve a sustained note without the two “triggers”

is there a best practice to “playing drones” in terms of technique? and does the above also sound normal?

electricanada
Ultra Wiggler

Post by electricanada » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:13 pm

timeforest wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:11 pm

also - the middle bar in particular seems to do that call and response tone everytime i press it. like - press down and hold -> tone sounds then a short lull then the same tone. i seem to not be able to achieve a sustained note without the two “triggers”

is there a best practice to “playing drones” in terms of technique? and does the above also sound normal?
Those screws in the bars. I’m not the best person to ask, because I didn’t like this exact aspect of Sidrax. Mine’s for sale if anyone wants it.
Eléctrica (electric) Nāda (the yoga of sound).

VortexRanger
reticulating splines

Post by VortexRanger » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:32 pm

timeforest wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:11 pm

For each press of a barre there will be one "note" for the "press" gesture (on mine it's on the Right output) and one for the "release" (on the Left output). There is no sustain. Decay times vary, maybe per barre but certainly it is also affected by the speed of your gesture.

I like to tune two barres to the same note and do a sort of back and forth trill with two fingers.

The Red jacks are oscillator outputs that aren't gated by the barres.
:hobbes:

timeforest
Common Wiggler

Post by timeforest » Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:09 pm

thanks, that’s useful! ok i think everything is in order then operationally. i investigated tightening the looser of the bars but the screws are already quite tight. suggestions? should i just acclimate myself to those being a bit loose?

batchas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batchas » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:44 pm

timeforest wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:09 pm
thanks, that’s useful! ok i think everything is in order then operationally. i investigated tightening the looser of the bars but the screws are already quite tight. suggestions? should i just acclimate myself to those being a bit loose?
I'd say yes.
They are a bit loose on mine too. This doesn't change the playability (or non-playability, depending how we look at or what we expect of the instrument).

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:03 pm

As far as I understand, a piezo only creates a signal while the pressure on it is changing. If it doesn’t change anymore, the piezo will discharge.

You can very softly, slowly and continuously press down on a bar to get a sustained sound. Also make sure to release the pressure slowly and gently again for a sustained sound on the other ear. You can also slowly slide your finger from the bottom screw to the fader.

It requires some practice and it doesn’t always react as expected ;-) It’s a Ciat Lonbarde instrument after all.
You can also find and contact me here:
tuesdaynightmachines@gmail.com
YouTube
Instagram
nightmachines.tv

rmro
Common Wiggler

Post by rmro » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:22 am

Gently blow on the barres Toncante style

timeforest
Common Wiggler

Post by timeforest » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:07 pm

love sid so much. periodically i have an issue where the press gate seems to give out. anyone else experiencing this ever? not sure i can isolate it to a specific behavior really - sometimes it seems to happen when i make a lot of quick changes. if i unplug the stereo out it seems often to resolve. is this something i ought to mention to pb? it’s a new unit etc

sungja
Wiggling with Experience

Post by sungja » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:02 pm

Maybe cables again?

timeforest
Common Wiggler

Post by timeforest » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:04 pm

not sure - the stereo 3.5 cable has had no issues with any other c-l stuff. i guess mostly curious if the periodic loss of the press gate is something i should write to pb about or if it’s something that others have experienced and has resolved or is just part of the game

sungja
Wiggling with Experience

Post by sungja » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:11 pm

Does it happen to one barre or all over?? Press or release or both? The ghost tone problems is well known and it does not seem like that is the problem here. Many years ago i had something similar happen to my sidrassi after a long session. I changed power supply and never happened again. These instruments can be picky about the power supply sometimes.

sungja
Wiggling with Experience

Post by sungja » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:14 pm

And play the barres gently. The piezo sensors can brake easily and act strange if you press too hard on them.

timeforest
Common Wiggler

Post by timeforest » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:20 pm

thanks for the insights. once it happens it’s the press gate on all the barres. it’s only happened a couple times. it’s very odd. and as i said it does seem to resolve with unplugging/replugging the audio out (or restarting). i’ll try to isolate it better this week.

jimmie
Veteran Wiggler

Post by jimmie » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:39 am

electricanada wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:54 pm
timeforest wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:59 pm

thanks for any help!
That sounds normal to me. The tightness of the bars is adjustable. It is expected that you will adjust the action to your own preference for your playing style. You don’t get full control over the Sidrax. The piezo bar is a primitive construction. You have to be willing to roll with it as is.
Yeah, it sounds pretty "normal" to me. The barrs are really primitive and every bar behaves differently. it could even be affected by humidity. Try loosening and tightening the screw gently for preferable response but don't expect perfectly proportional behavior for each of them. their irregularity should rather be considered as each instrument's personality I think.

Return to “Ciat-Lonbarde”