cl and voltage memory

home of post-70s electronics

Moderators: Kent, bartlebooth

timeforest
Common Wiggler

cl and voltage memory

Post by timeforest » Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:40 pm

could anyone talk to me about using meng qi’s voltage memory with sidrax, pb, and coco? what’s the workflow like? have you liked it? i’d love to hear experiences and a bit more about the controller used with c-l gear.

GrantB
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: cl and voltage memory

Post by GrantB » Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:32 pm

Workflow-wise it's a bit of a pain when you're getting started due to having a modal interface, odd bank selectors, and the playback modes selected with unlabeled rotary controls. I don't use it often so I always have to pull up the manual. The pressure mode also doesn't work very well for controllable expression.

What it's good for is adding a bit of precision, controlability and repeatability to the wild and wacky world of CL.
1. Tune in pitches for tonal music
2. Play CL sound generators manually on the touchpads
3. Create chords
4. Create repeatable scenes of CV settings for pitch, modulation, tempo control etc.

eyeiaye
Wiggling with Experience

Post by eyeiaye » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:32 pm

Does anybody know where to get a banana version? I dont think they make anymore.

GrantB
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GrantB » Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:10 am

eyeiaye wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:32 pm
Does anybody know where to get a banana version? I dont think they make anymore.
It's an easy job to convert with the appropriate low profile banana jacks:
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/terminal-posts/6459420/

timeforest
Common Wiggler

Post by timeforest » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:40 am

GrantB wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:32 pm
Workflow-wise it's a bit of a pain when you're getting started due to having a modal interface, odd bank selectors, and the playback modes selected with unlabeled rotary controls. I don't use it often so I always have to pull up the manual. The pressure mode also doesn't work very well for controllable expression.

What it's good for is adding a bit of precision, controlability and repeatability to the wild and wacky world of CL.
1. Tune in pitches for tonal music
2. Play CL sound generators manually on the touchpads
3. Create chords
4. Create repeatable scenes of CV settings for pitch, modulation, tempo control etc.
thanks! this is useful. think i’ll hold off.

definitely going to get wing pinger though, in terms of MQ stuff!

eyeiaye
Wiggling with Experience

Post by eyeiaye » Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:38 pm

GrantB wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:10 am
eyeiaye wrote:

WOW very cool. So is it the same voltage? I just dont want to fry my buchla or Ciat stuff. I assume a quick de-solder and replace?

Also do you know if the euro version will fit in one of those 4ms pods?

GrantB
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GrantB » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:37 pm

eyeiaye wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:38 pm
GrantB wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:10 am
eyeiaye wrote:

WOW very cool. So is it the same voltage? I just dont want to fry my buchla or Ciat stuff. I assume a quick de-solder and replace?

Also do you know if the euro version will fit in one of those 4ms pods?
It's the same module as far as I know, you might want to double check with MQ. Yeah desolder 1/8" and add bananas. They have to be those short ones. And you'll want a ground jack on the case too. Mine came in the Meng Qi wood box so it already had the ground jack and power jack, I just changed the 1/8" jacks. I don't know anything about 4ms cases. VM only uses +12V so it should be safe to patch with Buchla 200e (no negative voltages).

chrisdermo
Ultra Wiggler

Post by chrisdermo » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:37 am

It will actually run off a 9v battery too.

Workflow - you really have to take time to get to know the VM, but generally speaking it's worth it - I used to use one with a tetrax and a double knot together along with a bugbrand crossover filter and it blows the possibilities of each instrument wide open, especially if you don't have any other means of preset storage / sequencing etc. Yes - the pressure CV leaves a lot to be desired, but the rest of the modes are awesome. Sequencing CL is a real joy due to it's lack of v/oct, and that is NOT me being sarcastic!
WTB / WTTF: Bugbrand PRC2B, DD3, PRC4, ENV1

Current Bugs frame:
https://www.modulargrid.net/f/racks/view/580413

Return to “Ciat-Lonbarde”