Tetrax vs Lyra-8

home of post-70s electronics

Moderators: Kent, bartlebooth

Boodaleechees
Common Wiggler

Tetrax vs Lyra-8

Post by Boodaleechees » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:20 pm

I've asked this question elsewhere but thought would see what folks here think. I have a Lyra-8, I've used it some, but it's not grabbing me quite as much as I though it would, I end up sticking primarily to my eurorack gear. I've been curious about the Tetrax/Sidrax for some time now, and I could sell the Lyra-8 and be able to afford a Tetrax and banana cables straight away. I have zero programming knowledge and having done a little research here, it seems that having a good modular set up already makes the Tetrax a good point of entry to Ciat-Lonbarde. I also just really dig how they sound based on the few videos that I've found. Does anyone here have experience with both?

Edited to add: I have plenty of effects via my eurorack system as well as pedal boards, so, while they're fantastic, the onboard effects of the Lyra aren't a big deal. :hmm:

batchas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Tetrax vs Lyra-8

Post by batchas » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:52 am

Aren't these completely different beasts?
From what I see on the Lyra panel you have individual variable pitch, LFO, delay, distortion etc. You obviously don't have this on sidrax or Tetrax.
Modularity and bananas on Ciat.
Touch sensing on wood and piezos is also not comparable IMHO. Sensitivity + press/left out, release/right output, hold a note (see viewtopic.php?f=65&t=227038) etc etc. So different!
It would be perfect if you could try it live, maybe find someone nearby having one.
I write this because to me, IMHO, sound is very, very subjective.

Pers. I'm not sure Ciat-Lonbarde banana gear is best to go with Eurorack, but again this depends on own experience, like subjectivity.
So again, hopefuly you'll have someone using both and also Eurorack to prove you that I'm wrong.

But no matter how, Ciat-Lonbarde gear is very special. It's a own world, where the magic of vibrations, voltages, fully opens up to our ears and blossoms (not sure how to translate correctly in english haha!) and it's worth the experience. Takes you out of all these standards or standardisations. It's a different approach to interact with sound.
This and your pedals => :sb: :sb: :sb:
FS: New Orgone Accumulator MK2 for BugBrand/FRAC
-----------------------------------
www.batchas.com

Boodaleechees
Common Wiggler

Post by Boodaleechees » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:05 pm

They are completely different beasts, hence the question. :) I think for what i want to do the Tetrax makes more sense. It's also smaller, lighter, and battery-operable. There is also the Ciate-Lonbarde aesthetic, which is very appealing to me. I also don't mind the seeming limitations in comparison to the Lyra-8. I'm trying to consolidate a little and do more with less (seeing Bana Haffar speak about this at Velocity in Seattle was inspiring to say the least). :guinness:

horaflora
Wiggling with Experience

Post by horaflora » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:35 pm

(seeing Bana Haffar speak about this at Velocity in Seattle was inspiring to say the least).

Who is that, and is there video of this inspiring talk? Thanks!

Boodaleechees
Common Wiggler

Post by Boodaleechees » Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:57 pm

https://banahaffar.bandcamp.com/

I can't find the forum she did with Divkid, Basek, and Ann Annie.

Her morphagene reel is great:

In a nutshell, she sold off a bunch of stuff do do more with less and talked about finding inspiration outside of modular/electronic music. In her case, weaving.

Noctopolis
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Noctopolis » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:25 am

Interesting question. I have a Lyra 8 which I use a lot with a Cocoquantus 2 and a Plumbutter 2 and I think the three of them make good soundscapes together. Like you, I´m also curious about the Tetrax and Sidrax organs but I´d prefer to keep the Lyra (it may be a one- or twotrick pony in my hands but it´s a loved pony :-) ).
What I´m wondering is how much these instruments overlap each other tonally...? I´m not into the most complex noise patching (yet) but find my sweet spots somewhere between the cacophonous and the sweet melodic timbres. I know these are all different instruments functionally, and I´d love to have the touch control possibilities directly integrated with the Coco and PlumB, but still... which one of the organs (been considering a Deerhorn too, but maybe not after all) would make a good companion to the existing setup? Anyone?

Boodaleechees
Common Wiggler

Post by Boodaleechees » Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:40 pm

Well, I went on and sold the Lyra-8 and bought a Tetrax. So far, I'm finding the Tetrax far easier to generate the kinds of tonalities I want than it was with the Lyra, and it's far simpler to use, imho. I haven't even begun to patch it yet (my banana cables just arrived yesterday). While the delay and overdrive on the Lyra-8 are phenomenal, my pedal board and eurorack effects are plenty sufficient.

For my purposes it's a much better instrument and from a totally practical standpoint, it takes up far less room. Even though it's described as being harsher sounding than the Sidrax, with the chaos knobs down it's plenty sweet sounding to me.

Now I'm trying to figure out what comes next, plumbutter or cocoquantus? I'll happily jettison one of my morphagenes, my nebulae v2, and a couple of pedals for more ciat-lonbarde goodness. :hail:

Noctopolis
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Noctopolis » Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:19 pm

Great to hear that you´re happy with the Tetrax!
As a newcomer to CL who started with the Coco and soon grabbed an opportunity with a PB, I have to say the Cocoquantus was an instant love for me - so much fun to use with almost anything, and somewhat a new world of sound opening up. I´m not sure I would have been as convinced with the Plumbutter as a starting point, even though I really like its role in my current setup. Especially the Deerhorn and the Gongues are lovely parts of it imho.
But - they are both two great instruments and I guess the Tetrax brings out even more interconnectivity and happy accidents in both of them. :banana:

Boodaleechees
Common Wiggler

Post by Boodaleechees » Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:11 pm

Right on, and thanks. I'm very much leaning towards the coco, just need to sell some things first. Poor impulse control will hopefully be kept at bay. :help:

cold_fashioned
Common Wiggler

Post by cold_fashioned » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:57 pm

I picked up a Tetrax a month ago or so, somewhat on a lark. I have had some fun jamming with it through FX. Patching brings out some nice, unexpected results as well. However, I'm not sure I like the "attack / press" phase coming out the left output and "release" phase out of the right output. I find it hard to play along with other gear. I know my time with it is limited, but the interface just doesn't seem responsive / predictable enough. Perhaps I'm trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. What sort of things are you all doing with your Tetrax? It's a beautifully made synth, but I'm afraid it's too weird (for lack of a better term) for me, maybe. That aside, I'm still curious about the cocoquantus, and now wonder if I'll find it more to my liking, or if I will have a similar lack of synergy.

Boodaleechees
Common Wiggler

Post by Boodaleechees » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:33 am

Since I run my Tetrax through my eurorack via Mutable Instruments Ears, I don't have to worry about the left/right audio issue, it gets turned into mono.

As for attack and release, I've found that being subtle with my presses and releases, using a fingernail, and just experimenting results in a broad range of results. The instrument is crude in execution, however, so if you're looking for precise and fully predictable control I don't think you're going to get it. Even the tuning, on my Tetrax, at least, wanders a bit. All of that said, I bought mine for the experimental nature of it, the aesthetic, and the timbres it generates. For more precise results, I use my eurorack.

Noctopolis
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Noctopolis » Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:08 pm

cold_fashioned wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:57 pm
I picked up a Tetrax a month ago or so, somewhat on a lark. I have had some fun jamming with it through FX. Patching brings out some nice, unexpected results as well. However, I'm not sure I like the "attack / press" phase coming out the left output and "release" phase out of the right output. I find it hard to play along with other gear. I know my time with it is limited, but the interface just doesn't seem responsive / predictable enough. Perhaps I'm trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. What sort of things are you all doing with your Tetrax? It's a beautifully made synth, but I'm afraid it's too weird (for lack of a better term) for me, maybe. That aside, I'm still curious about the cocoquantus, and now wonder if I'll find it more to my liking, or if I will have a similar lack of synergy.
I haven´t got a Tetrax but I recently purchased a Sidrax and as far as I know they work in a similar fashion (functionally if not tonally). I see what you mean about responsability and predictability. However, compared to the Lyra 8 I find the Sidrax (and I guess the same could be said for Tetrax) much more responsive and predictable and also more versatile when it comes to playing rhythmic patterns.
I like the Sidrax very much but I suspect I would have found it a bit limited on its own. Now, I first started out with a Cocoquantus, which is a lovely instrument, partly because it works so well with almost everything you do to interact with it (including the Sidrax and possibly the Tetrax too). Then I got the Plumbutter, which I find to be a simultaneously more advanced and straightforward. It´s possible to "plan" a session with the PlumB - you may set out with an idea and chances are you will end up at least somewhere close to the neighbourhood you expected :-) . My point is, these instruments really, really benefits from interacting with each other. I´d say the Coco will probably be a great addition for your Tetrax - it´s great for anything as long as you´re in for noisy, unpredictable but often incredible beautiful soundscapes. To me the Coco has opened up paths that I had no idea I would be able to get on to.
Recommended viewing if you haven´t already: Hainbach's "Patching the Cocoquantus" - that´s a brilliant guide to what this instrument is capable of.

Boodaleechees
Common Wiggler

Post by Boodaleechees » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:37 am

Hopefully my coco2 arrives today. I'm working remotely due to Covid-19, but I'll drive in tonight after rush hour to pick it up. I haven't been this excited for an instrument to arrive in a long time.

Noctopolis
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Noctopolis » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:42 pm

Boodaleechees wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:37 am
Hopefully my coco2 arrives today. I'm working remotely due to Covid-19, but I'll drive in tonight after rush hour to pick it up. I haven't been this excited for an instrument to arrive in a long time.
Great! Hope you´ll have a really good time with it - especially now, considering the strange times we live in. CL instruments are good tools for creative mindfulness.

Boodaleechees
Common Wiggler

Post by Boodaleechees » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:24 pm

Noctopolis wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:42 pm
Boodaleechees wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:37 am
Great! Hope you´ll have a really good time with it - especially now, considering the strange times we live in. CL instruments are good tools for creative mindfulness.
Thanks! And yes, music-making is my sanity-preservation tool of choice. Really looking forward to hearing what I can do with it!

cold_fashioned
Common Wiggler

Post by cold_fashioned » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:08 pm

Thanks all for the comments - they are very helpful. I had an idea that the Tetrax + Cocoquantus could be something greater than the proverbial sum of its parts. I love that video from Hainbach, and have come back to it several times as I weigh the decision to dive into C-L stuff more deeply. I'm actually curious about picking up a microphone to use with the coco, trying out a different workflow. I feel like it could be a great combo for more freeform exploration. Thanks again!

Boodaleechees
Common Wiggler

Post by Boodaleechees » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:39 am

Having some issues with the coco. Near as I can tell, I have everything set the way Hainbach does in his video on how to patch/use it. I cannot get, no matter what I do, a straight, steady tone to record into either looper. It sounds absolutely fine while recording, but one I turn the input volume down and the loop volume up, it gets fukoctored. I take a standard triangle wave from the orange output into the green input on both sides, and it's steady for a bit, but then: On the left - it turns into noise and/or changes pitch, and On the right - just turns into noise. Nothing else is patched. I've tried different positions of the dolby switches, but even still, I can't get a steady tone like he does.

I'm going to dig through other threads, but if anyone has a quick suggestion, I'm all eyes.

I still managed to have some fun (you'll hear the weird freakout here), underneath the Tetrax tracks. Each went through the Mimeophon, being modulated by a couple of Sly Grogans (fast becoming one of my absolute favorite modules).

Last edited by Boodaleechees on Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

Boodaleechees
Common Wiggler

Post by Boodaleechees » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:40 am

I'll try clearing both buffers tomorrow, perhaps that's the issue. Gotta get some sleep.

Noctopolis
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Noctopolis » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:33 am

Boodaleechees wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:40 am
I'll try clearing both buffers tomorrow, perhaps that's the issue. Gotta get some sleep.
I hear the adventure´s begun... sweet tones from the Tetrax!
To me, from your description it definitely sounds like the buffers need a clearing. Which is super simple, but I guess you already know that. Input, feedback, osc and chaos knobs fully ccw and the loop/delay speed fully cw, push both the buttons (lights off) for a few seconds. I have to clear the buffers before every session.
My Cocos quite often sets he pitch adrift slightly when sampling from the Quantussy oscillators. Not much, however. To me it mostly adds to the organic charm.
Keep cocoíng!

Noctopolis
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Noctopolis » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:36 am

cold_fashioned wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:08 pm
I'm actually curious about picking up a microphone to use with the coco, trying out a different workflow. I feel like it could be a great combo for more freeform exploration.
Yup, these words kinda nail it :-)

Boodaleechees
Common Wiggler

Post by Boodaleechees » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:51 am

I have to get the studio organized again. Working from home, with my office sharing the same space, I'm starting to feel like some weird synth hermit.
synthhermit.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Boodaleechees
Common Wiggler

Post by Boodaleechees » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:29 am

I'm interested in getting a mic too... what do you call the mic that has an integral stand and plugs right in via XLR? The kind that Hainbach has. So far I'm striking out looking for one.

ClausF
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ClausF » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:41 am

Boodaleechees wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:51 am
Working from home, with my office sharing the same space, I'm starting to feel like some weird synth hermit.
No, this is absolutely normal.

GrantB
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GrantB » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:47 am

ClausF wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:41 am
Boodaleechees wrote:
Working from home, with my office sharing the same space, I'm starting to feel like some weird synth hermit.
Same. Totally normal.

Boodaleechees
Common Wiggler

Post by Boodaleechees » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:48 am

ClausF wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:41 am
Boodaleechees wrote:
:lol:

And I found a short gooseneck that will serve my purposes for a coco mic (can use one of the mics I already have). :omg:

Return to “Ciat-Lonbarde”