Tetrax vs Lyra-8

home of post-70s electronics

Moderators: Kent, bartlebooth

Boodaleechees
Learning to Wiggle

Tetrax vs Lyra-8

Post by Boodaleechees » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:20 pm

I've asked this question elsewhere but thought would see what folks here think. I have a Lyra-8, I've used it some, but it's not grabbing me quite as much as I though it would, I end up sticking primarily to my eurorack gear. I've been curious about the Tetrax/Sidrax for some time now, and I could sell the Lyra-8 and be able to afford a Tetrax and banana cables straight away. I have zero programming knowledge and having done a little research here, it seems that having a good modular set up already makes the Tetrax a good point of entry to Ciat-Lonbarde. I also just really dig how they sound based on the few videos that I've found. Does anyone here have experience with both?

Edited to add: I have plenty of effects via my eurorack system as well as pedal boards, so, while they're fantastic, the onboard effects of the Lyra aren't a big deal. :hmm:

batchas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Tetrax vs Lyra-8

Post by batchas » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:52 am

Aren't these completely different beasts?
From what I see on the Lyra panel you have individual variable pitch, LFO, delay, distortion etc. You obviously don't have this on sidrax or Tetrax.
Modularity and bananas on Ciat.
Touch sensing on wood and piezos is also not comparable IMHO. Sensitivity + press/left out, release/right output, hold a note (see viewtopic.php?f=65&t=227038) etc etc. So different!
It would be perfect if you could try it live, maybe find someone nearby having one.
I write this because to me, IMHO, sound is very, very subjective.

Pers. I'm not sure Ciat-Lonbarde banana gear is best to go with Eurorack, but again this depends on own experience, like subjectivity.
So again, hopefuly you'll have someone using both and also Eurorack to prove you that I'm wrong.

But no matter how, Ciat-Lonbarde gear is very special. It's a own world, where the magic of vibrations, voltages, fully opens up to our ears and blossoms (not sure how to translate correctly in english haha!) and it's worth the experience. Takes you out of all these standards or standardisations. It's a different approach to interact with sound.
This and your pedals => :sb: :sb: :sb:

Boodaleechees
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Boodaleechees » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:05 pm

They are completely different beasts, hence the question. :) I think for what i want to do the Tetrax makes more sense. It's also smaller, lighter, and battery-operable. There is also the Ciate-Lonbarde aesthetic, which is very appealing to me. I also don't mind the seeming limitations in comparison to the Lyra-8. I'm trying to consolidate a little and do more with less (seeing Bana Haffar speak about this at Velocity in Seattle was inspiring to say the least). :guinness:

horaflora
Wiggling with Experience

Post by horaflora » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:35 pm

(seeing Bana Haffar speak about this at Velocity in Seattle was inspiring to say the least).

Who is that, and is there video of this inspiring talk? Thanks!

Boodaleechees
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Boodaleechees » Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:57 pm

https://banahaffar.bandcamp.com/

I can't find the forum she did with Divkid, Basek, and Ann Annie.

Her morphagene reel is great:

In a nutshell, she sold off a bunch of stuff do do more with less and talked about finding inspiration outside of modular/electronic music. In her case, weaving.

Return to “Ciat-Lonbarde”