CiatLonbarde DIY gallery

home of post-70s electronics

Moderators: Kent, bartlebooth

User avatar
VauxFlores
Common Wiggler
Posts: 67
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:06 pm
Location: Ithaca, NY

Post by VauxFlores » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:32 pm

Heyo, just joined the forum.

Here's a link to my PB-derived builds. I still have a couple that I need to document - will drop a line once I post them up.

http://vauxflores.com/artists/travis-johns/instruments/

t.

User avatar
pugix
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3368
Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:23 am
Location: Asheville, NC
Contact:

Post by pugix » Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:07 pm

VauxFlores wrote:Heyo, just joined the forum.

Here's a link to my PB-derived builds. I still have a couple that I need to document - will drop a line once I post them up.

http://vauxflores.com/artists/travis-johns/instruments/

t.
Welcome to Muffs! Really amazing builds. :hail:
Richard
http://www.pugix.com

"Everything in our world is actually always modulated by everything else." - Peter B

User avatar
VauxFlores
Common Wiggler
Posts: 67
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:06 pm
Location: Ithaca, NY

Post by VauxFlores » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:53 pm

Ah the joys of cutlery trays, plexiglass and fluorescent paint - happy to share!

User avatar
fluxmonkey
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1827
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:05 pm
Contact:

Post by fluxmonkey » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:03 pm

VauxFlores, very nice!
www.fluxmonkey.com

BUILDER FOR HIRE - kits or custom, email me with your needs

User avatar
VauxFlores
Common Wiggler
Posts: 67
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:06 pm
Location: Ithaca, NY

Post by VauxFlores » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:30 pm

Thanks a bundle - digging your builds as well. Actually had a chance to examine a couple in person a few years back when we shared a bill at the Bella Dubby - fuzzy memories, but there was definitely a Fourses on deck, or was it a Fyrall? Can never tell those two apart. I think you were playing as FluxArc w. D. Russel for that one. I should have a recording of the show floating around a hard dive somewhere - drop a line if you'd like a copy.

over/out/happyholidays,

t.

User avatar
Repeater
Phantom Powers
Posts: 757
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:14 am
Location: Rochester, NY

Post by Repeater » Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:44 am

VauxFlores - Beautiful instruments and nice writing on your site.

User avatar
zilaihong
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 570
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:05 am
Location: Beijing
Contact:

Post by zilaihong » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:21 am

Really beautiful builds and the sounds are awesome!

:tu:
[MengQiMusic - Interface Matters]
http://www.mengqimusic.com

User avatar
VauxFlores
Common Wiggler
Posts: 67
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:06 pm
Location: Ithaca, NY

Post by VauxFlores » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:27 pm

Two more builds from the archives -

Number 12:

http://vauxflores.com/artists/travis-jo ... number-12/

&

Number 16:

http://vauxflores.com/artists/travis-jo ... number-16/

I'm splitting the states for Central America on Friday and have a decent laundry list of things to take care of before I leave, but if I find the time, I'll see what I can do ala a recording or two. If not, eh, might take a few months.

User avatar
zilaihong
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 570
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:05 am
Location: Beijing
Contact:

Post by zilaihong » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:52 am

Great builds and it is nice to read the doc!

-----

from me : 2 cl namasitar in the making:


:guinness:
[MengQiMusic - Interface Matters]
http://www.mengqimusic.com

User avatar
kozepz
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1028
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:15 am
Location: The Netherlands

Post by kozepz » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:09 pm

Repeater wrote:Image
Hi Repeater,
I've ordered my parts from Mouser to get started on this one also.
Looking at this pic I don't understand the orientation of the npn transistor or did you changed something?
I thought they should be the other way around :hmm:

User avatar
Repeater
Phantom Powers
Posts: 757
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:14 am
Location: Rochester, NY

Post by Repeater » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:27 pm

Good eyes...

I used 2n3904 (NPN, "-" on the circuit boards) and 2n3906 (PNP, "+" on the circuit boards) transistors instead of the ones recommended in the build documentation. They work fine as substitutes in all of the Rollz-5 modules, you just have to flip them around as I've done due to opposite pinouts.

Good luck with your Rollz-5! There are a couple errors on the boards so keep your eyes peeled. Off the top of my head, an electrolytic capacitor (one of the non-hairies) is backwards on one of the Rolls boards. Post here or shoot me a PM if you have any other questions about the build. I started making another one last night... a sure sign of insanity. :deadbanana:
kozepz wrote:
Repeater wrote:Image
Hi Repeater,
I've ordered my parts from Mouser to get started on this one also.
Looking at this pic I don't understand the orientation of the npn transistor or did you changed something?
I thought they should be the other way around :hmm:

User avatar
kozepz
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1028
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:15 am
Location: The Netherlands

Post by kozepz » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:49 pm

Repeater wrote:Good eyes...

I used 2n3904 (NPN, "-" on the circuit boards) and 2n3906 (PNP, "+" on the circuit boards) transistors instead of the ones recommended in the build documentation. They work fine as substitutes in all of the Rollz-5 modules, you just have to flip them around as I've done due to opposite pinouts.

Good luck with your Rollz-5! There are a couple errors on the boards so keep your eyes peeled. Off the top of my head, an electrolytic capacitor (one of the non-hairies) is backwards on one of the Rolls boards. Post here or shoot me a PM if you have any other questions about the build. I started making another one last night... a sure sign of insanity. :deadbanana:
kozepz wrote:
Repeater wrote:Image
Hi Repeater,
I've ordered my parts from Mouser to get started on this one also.
Looking at this pic I don't understand the orientation of the npn transistor or did you changed something?
I thought they should be the other way around :hmm:

Thanks!
I couldn't get my head around it!
This will get me goin.

Do you still got the link to the soundcloud files, a copy paste of the link gave me an error.

User avatar
Repeater
Phantom Powers
Posts: 757
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:14 am
Location: Rochester, NY

Post by Repeater » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:00 pm

kozepz wrote: Do you still got the link to the soundcloud files, a copy paste of the link gave me an error.
Soundcloud's been acting strangely for me today as well. Try getting there from my main page later: www.soundcloud.com/martin-freem

User avatar
kozepz
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1028
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:15 am
Location: The Netherlands

Post by kozepz » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:57 am

Repeater wrote:
kozepz wrote: Do you still got the link to the soundcloud files, a copy paste of the link gave me an error.
Soundcloud's been acting strangely for me today as well. Try getting there from my main page later: www.soundcloud.com/martin-freem
:bananaguitar:
Some nice Rollz you got there going on, aswell as other tracks!

User avatar
NS4W
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1201
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:42 am

Post by NS4W » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:01 am

So what modules of the Rollz 5 are essential to get you going? Can you link up as many you want? Is there a mixer section? What ins/outs are there? :hmm:

User avatar
VauxFlores
Common Wiggler
Posts: 67
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:06 pm
Location: Ithaca, NY

Post by VauxFlores » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:55 pm

'lo.

obviously, the actual rollz models themselves are the most important, since they provide the pulses that the rest respond to. you can technically build something with just rollz, but you'll need to amplify the output a tick to make it useable - though even a simple linear preamp will do the trick - provided you're into oddball metronomic clicking.

to really get these things to sing with the bare minimum, you'll probably need at least 2 rollz circuits, ideally using at least 1 5rollz, if you take pete's word for it, as well as an ultrasound filter to dial in some heterodyned artifacts that you'd miss if you just plug straight into a rollz-module.

ala ins and outs, the rollz modules are basically just spitting out voltage, so plugging one to another will offset tempo and triggering to produce more complex chirps, etc. think of them kind of like neurons in that they can send and receive impulses and respond accordingly. from there, you can wire these impulses into ultrasounds, gongs, av dogs, etc. which all have the option of an audio out which you can either use or not use, depending on how you wire everything - generally speaking, most of the wired bleeps and squeeks will shine through but might sound different depending on which module is the final output. it may be interesting to have multiple outs and just explore which ones are the most appealing to your palate.

ala linkability, i've yet to find a limit ala voltage, but have found that oftentimes less is more - try a build with just one or two things and add to it when you have the time - just make sure you have room in your enclosure and the ability to branch out from your power supply and you should be fine.

also, as a heads up, rollz module interface well with other paper circuits - for instance, try adding a grassi or lil' sid to your build, either on separate outputs, or just using the nodes of the circuits - you'll get an entirely different palate.

ala a mixer section, not so much with this build, but you could easily incorporate a passive resistance mixer if you were inclined.

hope this helps,

t.

User avatar
bunkerspreckles
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:48 pm
Location: Minneapolis MN

Post by bunkerspreckles » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:40 pm

Image


Double Rollz5 aggregate assembly with Easter Island head and Lifecoach circa 2011
Separate outs for Uf, Gong, and AvDog translators with pitch/freq mods for Gongs and Dogs

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

User avatar
Repeater
Phantom Powers
Posts: 757
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:14 am
Location: Rochester, NY

Post by Repeater » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:56 am

NS4W wrote:So what modules of the Rollz 5 are essential to get you going? Can you link up as many you want? Is there a mixer section? What ins/outs are there? :hmm:
I recommend building at least one even and one odd geometric Roll and then expanding from there. Generally, the even Rolls are more stable and the odd Rolls are more chaotic. I got a lot out of just a 4-Roll and a 5-Roll before I built any of the other modules.

You can run nodes from the Rolls directly into an external mixer or amplifier. The nodes work as both inputs and outputs. You can interconnect them without a mixer, though connecting them through potentiometers, photocells, moist flesh, matrix mixers or anything else conductive is fun. I often patch my Rollz-5 with just my hands. It's pretty eerie to hear Gongs passing through your skin.

User avatar
wednesdayayay
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1578
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:17 am

Post by wednesdayayay » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:09 am

i have seen a rolls 5 paper circuit somewhere but where did you get the rest for the 5 rolls?

im sure it is something very simple and right infront of my face

I have a plumbutter, and would like to eventually build a rolls to go with it

User avatar
NS4W
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1201
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:42 am

Post by NS4W » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:39 am

wednesdayayay wrote:i have seen a rolls 5 paper circuit somewhere but where did you get the rest for the 5 rolls?
i'm not sure what you mean, but papercircuits/modules are available here: http://www.ciat-lonbarde.net/rollz5/index.html

User avatar
southphillysynths
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2314
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:12 am
Location: Philadelphia PA

Post by southphillysynths » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:40 pm

I've just been collecting and printing the files for these paper circuits.

I'm going to attempt lil sidrazzi first but I'm loving the designs of these!

As stated above I might try and etch some steadfast pcbs for some of these and put them into some boxes to make more permanent instruments.

hopefully this will keep me from lusting after a plumbutter but... probably not
Dcramer wrote:"Not all who wiggle are lost" :boat:
WHO IS BOZO TEXINO?!?!

ClausF
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 454
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:01 pm
Location: Germany, FFM

Post by ClausF » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:23 pm

southphillysynths wrote:hopefully this will keep me from lusting after a plumbutter but... probably not
This did absolutely not work for me, the opposite happend... :goo:

User avatar
papercutnoise
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 750
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:17 pm
Location: Ireland

Post by papercutnoise » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:00 am

Was off sick for a few days so started to build me some Rollz 5 circuits while I had some free time. Still a bit to go as I still have some parts on their way in the post. 6 Rollz has been finished since this photo was taken.

Caps used were mainly based off the Rolzer....

3 Rollz
- 1uf
- 2.2uf
- 3.3uf

4 Rollz
- 1uf
- 2.2uf
- 3.3uf
- 4.7uf

5 Rollz
- 2.2uf
- 3.3uf
- 4.7uf
- 6.8uf
- 10uf


6 Rollz
- 1uf
- 2.2uf
- 3.3uf
- 4.7uf
- 6.8uf
- 10uf

Not built yet but I want to experiment by building an Ultrasonic 3 Rollz using the following...

0.1uf
0.22uf
0.47uf



Image
Good Transactions with: Pfurmel, Parallel Worlds (x2), Miditerranean, Ping Panic (x2), Soy Sos, jenamu6, READYdot, Poladark, Synesthesia, audioCTRL, dansna, Glitchmachines, RealDudes, wavecircle, msh

User avatar
southphillysynths
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2314
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:12 am
Location: Philadelphia PA

Post by southphillysynths » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:41 am

papercutnoise

looking good!

How do you end up hooking up the rollz? My ultimate goal is to build them as a full instrument.

Does each rollz connect to the ultrasound filters? because thats the only one with an output right?
Dcramer wrote:"Not all who wiggle are lost" :boat:
WHO IS BOZO TEXINO?!?!

User avatar
papercutnoise
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 750
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:17 pm
Location: Ireland

Post by papercutnoise » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:40 am

southphillysynths wrote:papercutnoise

looking good!

How do you end up hooking up the rollz? My ultimate goal is to build them as a full instrument.

Does each rollz connect to the ultrasound filters? because thats the only one with an output right?
I'm going to run each Rollz node to a thin bolt and use crocodile clips to make to connections. The Gongs, AV Dog and Ultrasound filters are just 3 different sound modules that you connect the Rollz nodes to. In very general terms, Gongs is percussive, AV Dog is drum and drone, Ultrasound is "crust" and static etc. All 3 have inputs and outputs.
Good Transactions with: Pfurmel, Parallel Worlds (x2), Miditerranean, Ping Panic (x2), Soy Sos, jenamu6, READYdot, Poladark, Synesthesia, audioCTRL, dansna, Glitchmachines, RealDudes, wavecircle, msh

Post Reply

Return to “Ciat-Lonbarde”