Rollz-5+ Kit from Meng Qi (2014 Revision 3)

home of post-70s electronics

Moderators: Kent, bartlebooth

Laughing
Common Wiggler

Post by Laughing » Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:23 am

A small post here, sorry if this has already been covered in the thread but:

I've gotten the entirety of my board soldered, and not a squeak comes out. I've poked around with an oscilloscope, starting with the rolls sources, and with 47uF caps, the 4 roll or the 5 roll are giving me oscillations past 100khz. Is this correct? I even breadboarded out the circuit given on Pugix, and I get the same thing for the same values.

nearly ghost
Veteran Wiggler

Post by nearly ghost » Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:51 pm

My apologies for derailing this thread a little but does anyone know if these can be commissioned from anyone?

mrbloor
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mrbloor » Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:46 am

nearly ghost wrote:My apologies for derailing this thread a little but does anyone know if these can be commissioned from anyone?
Neil has built a few link

nearly ghost
Veteran Wiggler

Post by nearly ghost » Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:49 am

mrbloor wrote:
nearly ghost wrote:My apologies for derailing this thread a little but does anyone know if these can be commissioned from anyone?
Neil has built a few link
thanks for the link i'll look into it

elcoco
Common Wiggler

Post by elcoco » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:29 pm

Hi guys sorry for bumping an old thread but I was wondering if anyone had a PCB they never built and wouldn't mind trading me something for it or I would also be willing to buy it off someone. fingers crossed!! :tu:

Dirty_Bill
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Dirty_Bill » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:41 pm

elcoco wrote:Hi guys sorry for bumping an old thread but I was wondering if anyone had a PCB they never built and wouldn't mind trading me something for it or I would also be willing to buy it off someone. fingers crossed!! :tu:
elcoco - PM me...

Waves
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Waves » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:11 pm

Hey guys, a couple questions about the rollz sections.

Are you using the same value capacitors within each rollz section?

Are you using slower caps for the smaller rollz sections, so like a 3 rollz would be 47uF and a 6 rollz would be .1uF?

And do all the rollz caps have to be electrolytic polarized? or can I use film/ceramic caps too?

Thanks

roqeja
Wiggling with Experience

Post by roqeja » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:38 pm

I'd be interested in a pcb if anyone has a spare...?
FS: Harvestman Tyme Sefari and SOT Mk2, Synthrotek EKO
WTB: LZX VWG, A-198 Ribbon controller, Trigger Riot, Circadian Rhythm, d0, Storage Strip

mudlogger
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mudlogger » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:10 am

Also interested in a PCB if any spares going, thx

egilegilegil
Learning to Wiggle

Post by egilegilegil » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:47 pm

Anyone knows if these PCB's are still available somewhere or can be ordered from Meng Qi? If someone has a spare I would love to purchase it :)

Doublecoolbossman
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Doublecoolbossman » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:18 pm

Me too!

lcf
Common Wiggler

Post by lcf » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:21 pm

It's available again, and a fresh new version :guinness:
https://modularaddict.com/manufacturer/ ... rollz5-pcb

windspirit
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by windspirit » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:44 pm

Whats new about this one?

neilbaldwin
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by neilbaldwin » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:59 am

Rollz-5, Meng Qi, rev 3 board.

Hoping someone can help restore my sanity with this. This is the 4th one I've built but I've never had an issue with them before.

Couple of issues I can't figure out. The first one is probably straightforward though I'm stumped because I didn't deviate from the specified components: the envelopes on the gongs are really short, little more than clicks (but you can discern the amplitude decay over time).

The second one is more baffling. No audio comes from triggering the av dogs. However, if I patch something into the ultrasound (on the same 'side') you can hear the av dog sounding. Further to this, if I drop the supply voltage to below 9V (multi-volt DC adapter) then the av dogs work. Also, if I remove the 4066 IC from the ultrasounds (or the TL082s, essentially breaking the ultrasound circuit) then the av dogs work. What is even stranger is that this is true for all 4 circuits so either is an aspect common to all 4 or somehow I managed to make the same mistake 4 times! I checked all the components of the ultrasound circuits against the silk screen last night and everything seems in order.

I've tried several different 9V supplies and there's no difference. I've removed all of the ICs and checked the VCC and GND and also the mido voltages and they all appear correct. The 22K-to-ground mod has been done on the TL082s as required on the V3 boards.

Any help or suggestions much appreciated.

dinorrific
Learning to Wiggle

Rollz-5.4 questions

Post by dinorrific » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:36 am

I just picked up one of the fourth revision boards, and I have a couple of questions:

At the top of the new board, each rollzer jack has six solder points underneath, where I assume the rollz caps would go. How do I use this section? It looks like it's been optomized for a switch, but I can't figure out what specifically to do with that section.

How do I wire the power jack? Since it's two concentric circles, do I solder a positive wire to the center port and the ground to the outer one, or is there a specific jack that I should solder to the board?

VauxFlores
Common Wiggler

Post by VauxFlores » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:26 am

I was actually going to send up a post with the same question re: caps and dc jack, as well as if there are part numbers for the output jack and the new banana jacks mentioned on the mengqi instagram. someone? anyone?

skydorker
Learning to Wiggle

Post by skydorker » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:22 pm

I got one of the new rollz-5 boards and was wondering if the ICs are 074 and 072 (as stated on the board) or 084 and 082 (the same as previous versions) or weather it matters which is use?

Laughing
Common Wiggler

Post by Laughing » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:52 pm

@Skydorker

It doesn't matter which you use, the 74/72 are simply lower noise versions of the same IC.

skydorker
Learning to Wiggle

Post by skydorker » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:14 pm

Laughing wrote:It doesn't matter which you use, the 74/72 are simply lower noise versions of the same IC.
Much appreciated dude!

Slopstream
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Slopstream » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:34 pm

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this question, but...

I'm curious, has any of you had any problems with powering your units?

I recently aquired a pre-built meng qi rollz-5+ without psu. (it's great) From what I've read it can run on a 9-12 volt center positive power source, ampere not specified. I've tried a few different power supplies and the units sounds and works great when plugged in to the mixer on it's own. But, when I try to run it trough an effect or signal chain only half the signal comes through and it's screeching and sounding like crap. It really puts me off. Not sure if it's a power issue, even. Any ideas on how to solve it? Thanks.

Edit: Solved it.

dinorrific
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Rollz-5.4 questions

Post by dinorrific » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:53 am

I've got answers to my previous post:
dinorrific wrote:I just picked up one of the fourth revision boards, and I have a couple of questions:

At the top of the new board, each rollzer jack has six solder points underneath, where I assume the rollz caps would go. How do I use this section? It looks like it's been optomized for a switch, but I can't figure out what specifically to do with that section.

How do I wire the power jack? Since it's two concentric circles, do I solder a positive wire to the center port and the ground to the outer one, or is there a specific jack that I should solder to the board?
While I haven't heard back from Meng Qi or anyone on Muffwiggler, I've found some parts that seem to fit the bill for the Rollz-5:

1) I'm using these banana jacks (https://www.ebay.com/itm/322504540931 ). They don't appear to need soldering, since they fit pretty tightly into the holes without screwing them in. The top plastic parts can also be unscrewed separately, so they can be used by touch in addition to banana cables. They get a little loose when using tight cables, though, so make sure to user longer ones if possible.

2) I ordered a bunch of these kinds of 2x3 female headers for the rollz section (http://m.ebay.com/itm/263158902746?_mwBanner=1), so I can patch different combinations of capacitors without committing to one particular group.

3) I used a five-pronged vertical-mount stereo jack I picked up off Digikey (sorry, I couldn't find the link). It fits perfectly, and works like a charm.

4) I couldn't find a specific dc entry jack that fit his Instagram image, but this one seems to come close (https://www.ebay.com/itm/171939194131 ). The tip should fit the hole in the circuit board, and my plan is to clip and bend the sleeve lead and solder it to the surface of the board. While I'm waiting for it to come in, I took a standard 3-pronged 9 volt socket, connected the center pin the outer concentric circle, and the rear pin into the middle one, and that seems to work in the interim.

You can see some test patches with the new board here: I'm still playing around with some of the variable values using some female headers I cut up and soldered in place, but I'm probably going to replace those with specific components or pots as soon as they come in.

skydorker
Learning to Wiggle

Post by skydorker » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:38 pm

i found these power jack that seem to match the ones on meng qi's instagram

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20pcs-Solderi ... 2749.l2649

VauxFlores
Common Wiggler

Post by VauxFlores » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:24 am

Not sure if it's the case for anyone else, but most of my questions were answered by way on an unexpected package from Modular Addict containing all the rare parts I could hope for in this build (banana jacks, power, stereo plug and a fancy meng qi sticker).

Moving on to the next question of group-sourced intrigue: Anyone come up with a nice drill template for a front panel interface for this revision? I can probably sketch something up eventually, but hey, easy way out.

lcf
Common Wiggler

Post by lcf » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:44 am

Yes I received these unexpected parts.
I'd be interested in a drill template or enclosure too. The acrylic one was nice.
Does anybody made a BOM for this rev? A few parts have changed compared to the old BOM from Meng Qi.

krazh
Learning to Wiggle

Post by krazh » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:22 am

the unexpected package arrived after I was mistakenly sent an additional pcb by them.
inspite of my offer to purchase or return the pcb, to my surprise their lovely gesture followed.

Return to “Ciat-Lonbarde”