Shnth DIY/modification thread

home of post-70s electronics

Moderators: Kent, bartlebooth

rodrigo
Common Wiggler

Shnth DIY/modification thread

Post by rodrigo » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:39 pm

I posted this on shbobo forum, but it's pretty ghost-town over there at the moment, so reposting it here!

So is anyone planning on modding their Shnth? Building it into something else? Using external buttons/piezos?

I'm planning on building one into my Specty(http://www.rodrigoconstanzo.com/specty/) instrument. At first it was going to be a MengQi grassi like so.

But after doing the Shnth workshop a few months ago, I realized that's a much more powerful/flexible option.

Here's a rough sketch of what I have in mind for layout:

The buttons can all fit on the bottom left easily enough. The things that will be tricky and I'm sure about are 1) The bars, 2) The corps.

I've done compact 'bars' in the past with my Sidrassi tom. (http://www.rodrigoconstanzo.com/wp-cont ... 073890.jpg), but those are still too big for here. I'm thinking 'wide' bars, perhaps made out of plexiglass, or something similarly flexible/sturdy. It also has to be very low profile since I often shove stuff between the strings to 'prepare' the instrument, and I need the clearance.

The other thing is the bars. I did a bit of a quick test and it seems like I could still get them to work if they are near a bunch of metal, but it's hard to be exact about it. The idea would be to have to coils, one at the headstock (by the tuners) and the other between the bridge and pickup. There's tons of metal by each, so I'm sure it won't be ideal, but as long as it's somewhat useful, that would be awesome.

Lastly is the wind/input. In another thread (http://shbobo.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=49) there was talking about being able to use the wind input as a mono audio input. That would be amazing as it would allow for very interesting processing of the audio using the Shnth.

For the moment the plan is to have them run in parallel, so the Specty runs into wind, but also directly to the output, then have a toggle switch to pick between Specty, Shnth, or Both.

DIY idea #2.

Having external inputs for the piezos. I've done this in my various versions of my Sidrassi Tom (http://www.rodrigoconstanzo.com/sidrassi-tom/), but given how the Shnth is code based, it can make for 'trigger' type inputs using the piezos. That coupled with the ability to chain swoop/anti-swoops together, it would be possible to recreate a dogslit, as well as producing very interesting/complex 'drum trigger' interaction.

I even got the beginnings of an audio onset detector using the wind input (ie clapping your hands above the shnth producing a trigger signal....).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by rodrigo on Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CJ Miller
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by CJ Miller » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:45 pm

I have thought about eventually making provisions for external piezos, or other inputs. But I have barely gotten started with my unit yet, and I don't want to start by hacking it apart. I like the options of using different piezo disks, or film - and mounting to other surfaces, such as chimes, drums, etc.

I might just keep this unit stock, and make/mod an expandable version later.

rodrigo
Common Wiggler

Post by rodrigo » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:47 pm

I've done some testing and I have to say that piezo film is no good for these circuits.

It produces decent voltage when fully 'bent', but when it slightly flexes (ala piezo disc on a barre), it produces very little juice.

rodrigo
Common Wiggler

Post by rodrigo » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:49 pm

I'm also thinking about what would make a more effective corp for the DIY mod. I think the current corps look pretty, but I'm more concerned with maximum sensitivity since I will be around a lot of metal.

Has anyone messed around with 'real' antennae coils for these kinds of circuits?

windspirit
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by windspirit » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:11 am

been feeling like the microphone input being the only audio in is pretty silly. All of the stuber situation demos involved humming into the mic. nothing wrong with that but I'd like to have more options.

rodrigo
Common Wiggler

Post by rodrigo » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:37 am

I think that's going to change for future instruments, perhaps using the same boards. (ie there's all sorts of extra inputs on the board, which aren't used in software (at the moment).

It's also possible, it seems, with hacking to do external input with current hardware.

windspirit
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by windspirit » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:17 pm

Im pretty sure the pressure inputs are just running to an ADC but the microphone on the back seems impractical unless being used for feedback manipulation with your speakers. As far as I know swapping that out with a jack just involves some impedance matching yes? I am not too sure how that would work I have ripped out the mic of other things and replaced it with a jack and it didnt sound as good.

rodrigo
Common Wiggler

Post by rodrigo » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:12 am

Yeah there's obviously a bunch of ADC happening for the squish bars, and most of the extra inputs (labelled as letters/numbers on the board) are just digital I/O.

I think for the wind input, mods needs need to happen to 1) kill the 3v supply going to it, which was needed for the elecret mic and 2) make the impedance agreeable for non condenser mic inputs.

krz
Ultra Wiggler

Post by krz » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:51 am

ADC -> Shnth DSP -> DAC ?
Seems like that'd be pretty easy and
sound pretty wicked as in sky's the limit?

www.shbobo.net/forum = ghost town?

Where are the 25 plus protos and what are the lucky ones (besides rodrigo) doing with them?

rodrigo
Common Wiggler

Post by rodrigo » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:33 am

Indeed. Particularly as shlisp grows/expands, having a shbobo audio processor would be amazing!

The forum had more activity in the past, but it seems to have waned a bit. I assume it will go back up once the next batch goes out.

wednesdayayay
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wednesdayayay » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:08 am

I know I have set aside the shnth for a moment
Getting the soundplane and the plumbutter working together was key

Now I am adding to the openmusiclabs repatcher with the shnth for a modulation routing controller (using the shnth as a physical controller for Aalto is a lot of fun)

There is also the shnth project of working with The illucia application PCO which is easy to spend a lot of time with

I too hope we see some more action in the upcoming months but it takes a while of experimentation to get the communal juices flowing

I would really like to add swappable external piezos at some point as well as an audio input where the mic is.

rodrigo
Common Wiggler

Post by rodrigo » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:25 pm

I've managed to get my shnth PCB stripped down to just board/switch/usb. For some reason it's not powering up, so trying to figure out why, but once that's done I'll post some progress pics as it evolves.

wednesdayayay
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wednesdayayay » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:58 pm

wondering if this ended up going anywhere
sh is the sound of data
bobo is the gesture

PB

rodrigo
Common Wiggler

Post by rodrigo » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:55 am

Yeah I managed to get everything in and working (turned out one/some of the push buttons had power running through the pads (or the ground at least) so I had to run a jumper somewhere).

I managed to make these 'half' barres so you play it like a piano keyboard (only flexes from one side). It 'feels' the same though, doesn't flex very far.

I managed to fit all the butts on a little bit of perfboard which works perfectly.

And where I left it last was the corps. I managed to test that using coils of magnet wire worked well when under the strings, but by the time I got around to buying the magnet wire I had gotten busy with other projects....this was a couple of years ago now, hehe.

But here are current pics of its state (you can see the spools of magnet wire in the background).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rodrigo
Common Wiggler

Post by rodrigo » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:56 am

Hmm, can only attach one pic per post?

rodrigo
Common Wiggler

Post by rodrigo » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:57 am

And another.

wednesdayayay
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wednesdayayay » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:44 am

:sb: how cool
sh is the sound of data
bobo is the gesture

PB

smonkey
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Shnth DIY/modification thread

Post by smonkey » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:31 pm

i'm having fun exploring the ruins of the shnth world...wandering through empty houses...looking for cans of fish soup....

has this diy shntar gone anywhere?

:sb:
"Flingo bungie, whingie FLIP!"

rodrigo
Common Wiggler

Post by rodrigo » Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:06 am

Not really moved it further than where it was left off here.

Now that I have a 3d printer I may come up with a better way to enclose or protect the Shnth under the body, and still haven't done the new antennae stuff either...

smonkey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by smonkey » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:10 pm

time for such things gets harder and harder to find......
"Flingo bungie, whingie FLIP!"

Return to “Ciat-Lonbarde”