Plumbutter 2

home of post-70s electronics

Moderators: Kent, bartlebooth

gigasturtz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by gigasturtz » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:08 am

it comes tomorrow!! ! ! ! ! ! must start wiggling.

Donderdag
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Donderdag » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:46 am

gigasturtz wrote:it comes tomorrow!! ! ! ! ! ! must start wiggling.
:tu: I hope you have lots of banana cables ready!
Venetian Snares wrote:I wanted it to sound like a giant hovering boulder on fire
---------------------------
Seize the Carp
Stuff for sale
My Soundcloud

gigasturtz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by gigasturtz » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:00 pm

indeed! and supplies for more on the way. now to stock up on 9 volts till i track down a power supply.

megamaeng
Wiggling with Experience

Post by megamaeng » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:49 am

deltaphoenix wrote:[video][/video]
This was great! Is it all plumbutter? For some reason it sounds "different" than other videos. Do you think it was possible to do all that but with the snare sound going in half time or is all that happening because of the frequency of the snare.

I've had my cq2 for a week and it's deeper than anything I've used before and yet I'm already looking into the pb2! It just seems like the perfect combo :help:

deltaphoenix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by deltaphoenix » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:37 am

Yes, that was all PlumButter.

I am sure that the snare could play in half time.

I am missing my PB2 (but liking my Serge)... :doh:

Donderdag
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Donderdag » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:19 am

deltaphoenix wrote: I am missing my PB2 (but liking my Serge)... :doh:
Don't worry, he's found a good home :tu:

https://soundcloud.com/boysofalpha/plumberanglushdemo
Venetian Snares wrote:I wanted it to sound like a giant hovering boulder on fire
Seize the Carp
Stuff for sale
My Soundcloud

megamaeng
Wiggling with Experience

Post by megamaeng » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:41 pm

deltaphoenix wrote:Yes, that was all PlumButter.

I am sure that the snare could play in half time.
Thanks for the info!
Oldstench wrote:The kinder, gentler side of the Plumbutter 2.

http://soundcloud.com/oldstench/pb2_5-s ... hit-me-til
I know it's been said before but HOLY SHIT this is insanely awesome!! (I'm making my way backwards through this thread haha)

Is it safe to say that what goes on after 1:00 is something I could consistently coax out of the pb2? I'm talking about the aggro bass and head snapping cadence to the beat. Or is there some sorcery going on (or is it the result of the bit crushing effect added?). Such a unique pb2 demo :sb:

Oldstench
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Oldstench » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:13 am

megamaeng wrote: I know it's been said before but HOLY SHIT this is insanely awesome!! (I'm making my way backwards through this thread haha)

Is it safe to say that what goes on after 1:00 is something I could consistently coax out of the pb2? I'm talking about the aggro bass and head snapping cadence to the beat. Or is there some sorcery going on (or is it the result of the bit crushing effect added?). Such a unique pb2 demo :sb:
I appreciate it. The timbre is mostly the bitcrushing effect. The patterns are all PB2 though. That was all done in one take. Experiment with running the gongue and avdogs through the ultrasound.

On an unrelated note, some of my trig ins aren't triggering anymore :( Guess I'll need to see if Peter can fix it.
Humanity has doomed itself.

megamaeng
Wiggling with Experience

Post by megamaeng » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:55 pm

Thanks for the info! I have to admit that my fascination with the pb stems more from my immediate love of the cocoquantus rather than the sounds produced. It's good to know that effects down the line can change the results significantly. I'm usually not a fan of bitcrushing but in this case it sounded very organic.

Can anyone share their favorite uses of pairing a pb and cq? Can the pb2 help bring out more rhythmic results from the sample inside the cq? Can the cq modulate the pb in ways that it can't itself and create even crazier grooves? By crazy I don't mean more complicated, just more unique I suppose.

wednesdayayay
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wednesdayayay » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:11 am

I think one of my 3 rollz is not working anymore
everything else is triggered just fine (gongs, avdogs, ultrasound) but the rollz doesn't seems to have any effect anymore except every once and a while while unplugging :bang:

I have one triangle output on my CQ that isn't working which I can deal with (just haven't opened it up to solder it back together which is what I assume is wrong) but a whole rollz isn't going to cut it so I guess I'll have to send it back to peter unless anyone has any ideas
sh is the sound of data
bobo is the gesture

PB

Donderdag
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Donderdag » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:07 pm

wednesdayayay wrote:I think one of my 3 rollz is not working anymore
everything else is triggered just fine (gongs, avdogs, ultrasound) but the rollz doesn't seems to have any effect anymore except every once and a while while unplugging :bang:

I have one triangle output on my CQ that isn't working which I can deal with (just haven't opened it up to solder it back together which is what I assume is wrong) but a whole rollz isn't going to cut it so I guess I'll have to send it back to peter unless anyone has any ideas
Did you plug something "fishy" into the brown jack? :hihi:

Seriously though, if it occasionally works when unplugging maybe the banana jack(s) are loose? Did you try opening to check? I noticed the other night that one of the connections from one of the Gongues (can't remember which) only worked with the banana sorta halfway in and wiggled just right... definitely didn't work right when it was in all the way like it should, and does, with the other jacks :hmm: You could try to see if something similar is going on with your Rollz by using a wire with stripped ends.
Seize the Carp
Stuff for sale
My Soundcloud

deltaphoenix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by deltaphoenix » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:06 pm

I hope you get your gear sorted out Wednesdayayay!

I may be coming back in to the CL fold soon… Really been missing my PB2 and I want to learn the ways of the Coco.

:bananaguitar:

Dirty_Bill
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Dirty_Bill » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:08 am

deltaphoenix wrote:I hope you get your gear sorted out Wednesdayayay!

I may be coming back in to the CL fold soon… Really been missing my PB2 and I want to learn the ways of the Coco.

:bananaguitar:
We'll welcome you with open arms! Really loving the Coco lately myself...

wednesdayayay
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wednesdayayay » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:56 am

at the moment I'm just happy it is only one 3 roll that is messed up I'll get inside at some point for now I'll just try to work around it

I just don't really want to bug peter with this even though he's offered his rates to fix things like this previously (when it was just one bad connection this is a whole 3 roll)

on a completely related note does anyone with some electronics knowledge want to build me a 3 roll (or 2 roll :lol: looking at you pugix like you've got time) I would be more than happy to :75:

EDIT: I'm going to email peter and see if he would mind me potentially having one built by someone else rather than sending it to him but will leave the request up here until I hear otherwise
sh is the sound of data
bobo is the gesture

PB

Mr. Sound Boy King
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Mr. Sound Boy King » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:55 pm

Sorry for replying to such an old thread but this seems like a catch-all for Plumbutter 2 infotainment. I've been enjoying studying all your sounds!

I've got one on order and look forward to its arrival.

Here's a quick question:

I'm interested in using the Plumbutter as a controller for my trusty Machinedrum mkII (my main axe for lo these past 7 years).

Would it be cool to run the PB2's CV outs into a drum brain (DTXPRESS)? I use the brain to convert chaos stuff into MIDI all the time but only using regular old drum triggers. For example, I made a MIDI wind chime using the triggers which caused very many satisfying bL0RPS to emanate from the Elektron.

I am not versed in electrical engineering (and have never worked with modular synths) so have no real idea if PB2 --> drum brain --> Machinedrum concept would function.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Donderdag
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Donderdag » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:02 am

Mr. Sound Boy King wrote:Sorry for replying to such an old thread but this seems like a catch-all for Plumbutter 2 infotainment. I've been enjoying studying all your sounds!

Here's a quick question:

I'm interested in using the Plumbutter as a controller for my trusty Machinedrum mkII (my main axe for lo these past 7 years).

Would it be cool to run the PB2's CV outs into a drum brain (DTXPRESS)? I use the brain to convert chaos stuff into MIDI all the time but only using regular old drum triggers. For example, I made a MIDI wind chime using the triggers which caused very many satisfying bL0RPS to emanate from the Elektron.

I am not versed in electrical engineering (and have never worked with modular synths) so have no real idea if PB2 --> drum brain --> Machinedrum concept would function.

Not sure what type of signals the drum brain is looking for in terms of duration and amplitude, but this thread will give you the specs for the signals from the Plumbutter's various jacks.

Let us know how it goes :tu:
Seize the Carp
Stuff for sale
My Soundcloud

Mr. Sound Boy King
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Mr. Sound Boy King » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:15 am

Donderdag wrote:
Mr. Sound Boy King wrote:Sorry for replying to such an old thread but this seems like a catch-all for Plumbutter 2 infotainment. I've been enjoying studying all your sounds!

Here's a quick question:

Not sure what type of signals the drum brain is looking for in terms of duration and amplitude, but this thread will give you the specs for the signals from the Plumbutter's various jacks.

Let us know how it goes :tu:
Hey, thanks! When the thing arrives I'll definitely try to work out the style and post some proof-of-concept (or not, if that's how the cookie crumbles).

Easterner
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Easterner » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:34 am

Hello,

This is my first post on MW - I've been reading for a while though. I enjoy making music with a Eurorack system, as well as standalone vintage synths, contemporary instruments, circuit bent machines, induction coil mics etc. Bit of a genre-bender - play and write everything from noise/glitch/minimalist beats to experimental jazz/r&b to indie rock/pop and more.

I've recently ventured into the weird and wonderful world of Ciat-Lonbarde, having received a Plumbutter 2 from Peter this month, after learning what I can in this forum, watching videos and listening to audio clips. I'm already enjoying it a lot - it is very inspiring, it often surprises and takes you in unexpected directions, it sounds wonderful, and it works well with effects and some careful connections with other gear too. But i'm preaching to the choir!

I had two questions that I haven't seen addressed on MW, having searched for them; can anyone advise?

1) how long does the PB2 run on a 9V battery? I've seen one guess at 2-4 hours, but nothing conclusive. I'm thinking of taking it on some travels, and playing the PB2 off the grid would be amazing if reliable.

2) I'm using a stereo splitter for the audio out, the Hosa YMM-232 1/8" stereo male to dual 1/8" mono female adaptor, then two cables into a mixer. I don't hear stereo properly unless I pull the male jack some partial way out of the PB2 audio out socket. Pushing it al the way in results in only one channel of audio. The same-looking jack on my stereo earphones seems to not have a problem receiving both PB2 L and R audio channels when I push the earphone jack all the way in. Any thoughts?

In any case, I'm glad to be part of a great forum.

Happy holidays!

Donderdag
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Donderdag » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:41 am

Easterner wrote:Hello,

This is my first post on MW - I've been reading for a while though. I enjoy making music with a Eurorack system, as well as standalone vintage synths, contemporary instruments, circuit bent machines, induction coil mics etc. Bit of a genre-bender - play and write everything from noise/glitch/minimalist beats to experimental jazz/r&b to indie rock/pop and more.

I've recently ventured into the weird and wonderful world of Ciat-Lonbarde, having received a Plumbutter 2 from Peter this month, after learning what I can in this forum, watching videos and listening to audio clips. I'm already enjoying it a lot - it is very inspiring, it often surprises and takes you in unexpected directions, it sounds wonderful, and it works well with effects and some careful connections with other gear too. But i'm preaching to the choir!

I had two questions that I haven't seen addressed on MW, having searched for them; can anyone advise?

1) how long does the PB2 run on a 9V battery? I've seen one guess at 2-4 hours, but nothing conclusive. I'm thinking of taking it on some travels, and playing the PB2 off the grid would be amazing if reliable.

2) I'm using a stereo splitter for the audio out, the Hosa YMM-232 1/8" stereo male to dual 1/8" mono female adaptor, then two cables into a mixer. I don't hear stereo properly unless I pull the male jack some partial way out of the PB2 audio out socket. Pushing it al the way in results in only one channel of audio. The same-looking jack on my stereo earphones seems to not have a problem receiving both PB2 L and R audio channels when I push the earphone jack all the way in. Any thoughts?

Happy holidays!
Welcome to Muffs Easterner!

2) I had a similar problem (maybe), though half my plum was busted but switched breakout cables and now it works. I guess the exact position/length of the TRS points on jacks isn't universal so only some work with the plum :despair: I would suggest trying to find an adapter that exactly matches your headphones since those work. Good luck!
Seize the Carp
Stuff for sale
My Soundcloud

easyskywalker
Learning to Wiggle

Post by easyskywalker » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:01 pm

Hello,

Happy holidays!
Ha, it's a bit like reading my own story, been lurking here for a while, especially the Ciat Lonbarde threads, use a eurorack system and vintage gear, circuit bending, etc... Cool!
My Plumbutter arrived a few days ago, and it's everything I thought it would be. Super-cool!

1) I used the Plumbutter with a 9 volt rechargeable battery yesterday, and I got about three hours out of it. Then Deerhorn started to be irresponsive and the snare became inaudible. You might get a bit more out of an alkaline battery of course...

Best, Easy

ClausF
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ClausF » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:29 pm

Haha, I have the same story, not so much vintage synths but guitars. And synths, modular, noise boxes, circuit bending.

2) Yes, not all types of jacks and plugs are the same, some work, some not. Same with Eurorack btw. Try to find one that fits. I also remember a thread here, where the jack in a PB (or Coco) had to be re-soldered. I never use adaptors here, this is too wobbly with this little jacks. I only use a Y-cable (stereo 3,5 male jack, min. 1,5m cable and it dos not matter, what is on the other side because with the longer cable adaptors here do not stress the jack of the PB2)

Easterner
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Easterner » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:59 pm

Thank you for your replies, Donderdag, easyskywalker, ClausF!

Yes, I also mess around with guitars, vocals, and other instruments too, at times.

I'll try some different jacks for the audio out. I'm using a Y-cable too, so as not to stress the PB2 socket.

And sounds like 9V isn't going to go very far... will stick to a solid supply of power via the Voodoo Labs 4x4.

andriesvds
Common Wiggler

Post by andriesvds » Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:42 am

some plumi noise:

[video][/video]

adammokan
Common Wiggler

Post by adammokan » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:06 am

After a week with the Cocoquantus, I pulled the trigger on a PB2 this morning. I'm afraid my eurorack system will not be getting much use for a while...

ClausF
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ClausF » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:05 am

adammokan wrote:After a week with the Cocoquantus, I pulled the trigger on a PB2 this morning. I'm afraid my eurorack system will not be getting much use for a while...
Exactly that happend here, but after a while I remembered it... :tu:

Return to “Ciat-Lonbarde”